PDA

View Full Version : Keep On Keepin' On

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Linda85
Sat, Jul-28-07, 23:56
This old poem (SEE BELOW/author anonymous) has been my inspiration many times when I felt down & when things seemed really tough. The way it's worded makes me laugh and sometimes I can really use a laugh.

KEEP ON KEEPIN' ON

If the day looks kinder gloomy
And your chances kinder slim,
If the situation's puzzlin'
And the prospect's awful grim,
If perplexities keep pressin'
Till hope is nearly gone,
Just bristle up and grit your teeth
And keep on keepin' on.

Frettin' never wins a fight
And fumin' never pays;
There ain't no use in broodin'
In these pessimistic ways;
Smile just kinder cheerfully
Though hope is nearly gone,
And bristle up and grit your teeth
And keep on keepin' on.

There ain't no use in growlin'
And grumblin' all the time,
When music's ringin' everywhere
And everything's a rhyme.
Just keep on smilin' cheerfully
If hope is nearly gone,
And bristle up and grit your teeth
And keep on keepin' on.

I began my weight-losing saga many years ago at my all time high of 322 and now weigh 239. My GOAL is 158, so I'm just over half way there. 83 down and 81 to go. It may take a year or so, but I'm hanging in there.

SOONER would be better than a longer time---but with determination, prayer, and the help of all my new friends here at the ALC Forum I will make it this time! I'm doing Atkins induction again (from years ago). Getting on my computer helps takes my mind off food. And riding in the sidecar of our motorcycle (a very recent new hobby) is a hoot that takes my mind off food. I use a little step-stool to climb in & my husband drives and off we go for day trips, weather permitting. I'm 57 and he just turned 60.

Though disabled (5 years diabetes messed up feet) I don't let it keep me depressed. Sitting in a living room chair, using a stretchy cord is the way I get some (seated) exercise. Like many folks I am often my harshest critic when I don't do well. But I am learning to be a little kinder to myself, and just find a different, better way to get the job done. Fat comes off more slowly for me than I'd like, perhaps since I can't walk very well and not much distance at all. But it's going to go!! Why? Because I want to wear a pair of size 12 jeans again!

I log everything I eat & drink, take my vits & supplements, water, seated exercise, in writing. And I try to figure out each week what I could have done INSTEAD that would have worked better. Facing "why" plateaus happen for me, why slow or no loss, means being honest with what I did that week. Finding better ways to do low carbing. I've probably read 6 Atkins books in the last 6 months. I enjoy checking out LC recipes in books & online.

Usually I can tell exactly what did it when I don't have a loss or when I plateau up & down the same stupid 5 pounds. Things have really been changing around here these past couple weeks. Wrapping my head around the whole Atkins induction way of eating. I am very excited to have reached the 230's by weighing in at 239 Saturday morning, 28 July 2007.

My "100 pounds off" goal will be reached when I get to 222. I believe Atkins will work and help me do just that. I LOVE reading the "success" stories! Especially the ones who have had a lot to lose like me.

I have a long-time friend in Florida who has just reached her "100 pounds off" mark, and her success has helped encourage me that if she can do it then I can do it too! But I realize I'll have to work at it. Maybe a little harder since I can't go walking, etc. But so be it!

This is my first time to post. Wasn't sure I did it correctly, but felt if I didn't post this evening it might be a long time until I got the courage again to try it. I will keep posting now that I see how it's done. If you have a lot of weight to lose, don't give up! Hang in there and keep on keepin' on.

by Linda85
322/239/158
from Texas

Kisal
Sun, Jul-29-07, 00:11
Welcome to the forums, Linda! It's nice to have you here! :wave:

Linda85
Sun, Jul-29-07, 00:18
Kisal, Thanks for the nice welcome! Somehow it feels "like home" here, doesn't it!?

bob2112
Sun, Jul-29-07, 04:38
Welcome to the forums. Glad to have you onboard with us.

Gypsybyrd
Sun, Jul-29-07, 10:08
Welcome Linda! Congrats on your success so far ... Good luck with the rest.

Linda85
Mon, Jul-30-07, 01:58
Bob2112, Thanks for the kind words. Your success (losing about 200 lbs.) is incredibly fantastic to note!

Have been getting my husband on board with the Atkins way of eating, so we can help encourage (NOT bug) each other to eat LC. He boils the hardboiled eggs (better than I do) & I fix the family packs of chicken breasts on the rotisserie. Neither of us is perfect but we know that we'll do better with us both on the LC woe.

I quit frying food a couple years ago. He gave up bread last month & was still switching over this past week, but doing better. He's noted my wt loss & wants to lose some pounds too. I need to keep more "good" salad & veggies around, but don't want to have too much "on hand".

We both like computers too.

I am concerned about DH's cutting down on overall amount of food eaten. He may weigh about 360 and eats a lot with meals & snacks. I'm working to have good stuff in the kitchen.

Wondered what worked for you with regard to a couple points. Is there a limit to the number of eggs a day (his chol. is OK at 190 so I know we're doing something right) since we'll be eating more of them. Do you serve chicken, meat, etc. in 4 oz. portions? Or just eat until not hungry?? I know what works for me but am not sure what will for him food-wise in amount/portions since he's a guy. He works 12 hr. shifts, on his feet a lot. I want his experience doing Atkins to go well.

I've heard men lose wt easier than women, so I'm hopeful he will have some early success at his efforts & stick with it. Wt loss for him would help get his blood pressure down which is a strong motivation.

Also we want to both weigh less & be able to ride our motorcycle with sidecar and get better gas mileage & have even better handling "climbing" bridges & on turns. Right now, having more fun riding our new Patrol is real motivation too!!

WH1968
Tue, Jul-31-07, 07:45
Linda.. welcome...

Congrats on your success thus far.... keep up the great work!!!

T-man

Linda85
Fri, Aug-03-07, 08:50
Gypsybird & T-man, Thanks for the welcome messages! Am hoping to get my journal started ASAP. What a great community of fellow weight losers this site has. It's good to know I'm not alone in this effort.

Linda85
Sat, Sep-01-07, 19:58
FYI: I have switched to posting in my journal at "Size 12 Blue Jeans" found at http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=344048 instead of this one. Thanks everyone!