PDA

View Full Version : Headaches

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lexy-lou
Fri, Jul-27-07, 06:39
Hi, everyone. I have been having headaches lately (which is not usual for me, even in allergy season). It's not the induction flu or carb detox since I've been pretty steadily in ketosis for 2.5 months. Here's what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast: 2 cups of coffee with half and half, 3 scrambled eggs fried in butter

Lunch: 6 tequila lime chicken wings

Snack: LC tortilla & string cheese

Supper: Salad with chicken and guacamole

Snack: 85% Lindt & a leftover pork chop

I had about 64 oz. of water & a multivitamin with lunch

FitDay says the calorie count was 1,744, carbs 39/net carbs 22

Any ideas what could be causing these headaches? Thanks for the help! :wave:

teetiefunk
Fri, Jul-27-07, 06:54
chocolate does it for me everytime! i almost always get a sore head after eating chocolate even the high cocoa mass ones. Just a thought but exclude it for a bit and see how you get on...ps maybe the coffee? is it decaf?

pennink
Fri, Jul-27-07, 06:59
real tequila?

chocolate can do it, for sure, but also make sure you're drinking enough water.

Didy
Fri, Jul-27-07, 08:01
Is there a change in the air pressure? I used to get ripping headaches, when living in Minnesota, during the tornado and big storm season.

sarakatmom
Fri, Jul-27-07, 08:05
If you only had 64 ounces of water, chances are you're body is showing signs of dehydration...especially if you're in a heatbox state. Hope I'm reading that wrong on the water intake, but from the looks of it, upping your water to well over 100 ounces a day is necessary to keep up the water loss in your body, flush toxins, and feeling good. :)

Twin Mama
Fri, Jul-27-07, 08:21
I used to get horrible headaches every day even before I went low carb. I also have lots of sinus issues.

I read some books about Candida. I figured out I probably am deficient on omega 3's, magnesium and B-vitamins. Since, I started taking more vitamins and coconut oil, I no longer have headaches.

KvonM
Fri, Jul-27-07, 10:02
If you only had 64 ounces of water, chances are you're body is showing signs of dehydration...especially if you're in a heatbox state.
i'm sorry, but i had to giggle at this... minnesota doesn't really qualify as a heatbox state... at least not compared to arizona (i grew up in west central wisconsin). i will take a minnesota summer over an arizona one any day... hell, i'll even take a minnesota WINTER over an arizona summer. :D

the headaches could be completely unrelated to diet... have you had someone check your back lately? the neck muscles actually extend and connect all the way down to the middle of your back, right along the spine. if there's a knot at the base of those, it can transfer the tension all the way up to your forehead. did you change brands of perfume or deodorant? or did someone else in your house? did you replace carpet or recently paint?

i go through cycles (low-carbing or not) when i'll get headaches daily for a couple of weeks, then go a month without having one. i keep advil on me at all times, just in case.

tukewvu
Mon, Jul-30-07, 13:08
lack of caffeine in the afternoon after the morning cups (assuming you don't do decaf) ? Just a thought.

lexy-lou
Mon, Jul-30-07, 19:46
Thank you so much for your ideas! I think it was the chocolate. I stopped eating it for four days and the headaches disappeared. I'm trying to drink more water, too. If the headaches come back, I'll purse the other possibilities mentioned. Thanks again!

zorra_1
Tue, Jul-31-07, 06:44
I was going to say that I could eat an entire Hershey's bar without a problem, but give me any chocolate that is one of those 70% or more types and I get this nasty headache.

I've gotten them too when like a fool, I bit into an unsweetened block of Baker's chocolate!