PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm new and this is knda my last resort.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Niky Brady
Sun, Feb-17-02, 00:56
Hello,

I'm new and this is kinda my last resort. I've been reading a lot of other people's posts and I finally feel like I'm not the only one whose life is ruled by food. I'm 21 and I weigh 200 pounds. I have tried every kind of low fat/low calorie diets I can think of and I get few if any results regaurdless of the fact that I exercise 4 to 5 times a week. I feel like I am addicted to carbs and I never knew it until now. My boyfriend's sister started the LC diet three months ago and has lost 65 pounds!! I couldn't believe it. I always felt like I was closer to her because she was overwieght too and now I am so jealous!! I didn't ask her much about it but I found this site and this site led me to the atkins site and here I am. I just hope I can keep this same motivation until I reach my goal!!

Niky

This the best site I've found.
thank you

Raquel
Sun, Feb-17-02, 02:16
Niky, I'm old enough to be your Mom but trust me, you can make it easily on this WOL (Way Of Life) since you are still young, hopefully in good health, and you exercise often so don't be surprised if your results are pretty spectacular. The first time I tried LC (Atkins) I was 43 and lost 14 lbs. in about 3 weeks. If you enjoy the foods and try to get creative with it, you'll see how your cravings will very quickly disappear.

Have you read any books about it? I strongly recommend that you do all the reading you can about LC, even if it's only here on the "net". There are many different plans and they all work, you just have to find the one that's best for you. But I guarantee you, when you drop those first few pounds in what would've taken you maybe a couple of months in other diets, you'll be sold! If you find yourself feeling too tired and/or grouchy the first few days just add a few more grams of carbs in the form of healthy veggies or take a few potassium pills and you'll be fine and full of energy.

You will find there are lots of very nice people in this forum all very willing to help and share with you. So don't hesitate to bring your questions and concerns here, we're all in the same boat! The articles, recipes, links and other resources make this journey a lot easier and interesting and you may end up making some very good friends who can really relate to what you're going through.

My best wishes for your success!

s.a.kaye
Sun, Feb-17-02, 06:15
Hi Niky :wave:
I'm so glad you found this site too !!!!
I totally agree with you about low fat low calorie diets, you are not alone, I think for a small percentage of people they may work, but for the majority they DO NOT WORK.
I agree with Raquel, you must get a hold of some LC books and decide which plan to do, follow it by the letter and you will be amazed. If you have a local library you should be able to loan some books from them.
You said that your boyfriend's sister has been on a LC diet, maybe you could organise a time to speak to her about it, I'm sure she would be happy to tell you how she has achieved her 65 pounds loss.
I wish you every success Niky, and please consider starting your own journal, it will help you keep track of everything, and you will find people will pop in and give you encouragement and advice.
Good Luck !!!!
bye for now
Kaye

razzle
Sun, Feb-17-02, 12:21
welcome, niky. You should do really well with this way of eating. Make it a permanent change to your life, and you should be able to keep the pounds off permanently too! (much harder than initially losing). Read, learn, and enjoy.

Niky Brady
Sun, Feb-17-02, 17:22
Thank you for your input. The hardest part of eating right is the fact that I'm the only one (in the group of people I usually eat with). This site is full of encouraging people, though, and I am at a point in my life where I am willing to do anything. I will be looking forward to talking to everyone. I am starting a journal today (my first full day).

Good luck everyone.
:wave:

"Progress, not perfection."
"Never trade what you want most for what you want in the moment."

(I updated my profile. I was 210 when I started my last low fat/low cal diet Jan 1st. I was 199 when I started Atkins yesterday.)

upncomer
Mon, Feb-18-02, 07:04
Hi Niky! :wave:

I have never had a problem eating with others not LC'ing - in fact, sometimes they kinda get jealous because I am eating a nice juicy steak with a big salad and "real" salad dressing, while the girls are picking on a dry salad because they are "watching their weight"!!! When someone asks me why I don't want the bun on a hamburger, I just tell them that I am allergic to grains and sugar!