PDA

View Full Version : Vitamins?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Shaunda279
Sun, Jul-22-07, 13:18
Hello all,
About two weeks ago I started the Low Carb way of life and I have been trying to find a good vitamin to take that will not interfer with the weight lost.
I have been told to try the One a day weight Smart but i did some research on it and found out that on some people it slowed the weight lost. So I wanted to ask people what they are taking to maintain healthy plus keep losing the weight. I live in a small town and do most of my shopping at Wal mart so most likely that is where I will buy it. So if anyone can help I would gladly take it!

Gostrydr
Sun, Jul-22-07, 13:32
Wow that's a bummer about Wal Mart being the only place you can shop.

Look all those grocery store vitamins are crap..period. they contain alot of fillers,dyes and inorganic materials that your body cannot absorb.

There are no health food stores in your area?

good companies that have good multis at a reasonable price are,

Solaray/Kal
Twinlab
Country Life
Natures Way
Solgar
Natures Life/Natures Plus

Supernutrition has the best multis available,,that is what they specialize in and they formulate their products through research done on each compound..So you are getting a theraputic dose of each vit,min and antioxidant..

great company

Kisal
Sun, Jul-22-07, 15:22
Welcome to the forums, Shaunda! It's nice to have you with us! :wave:

Shaunda279
Sun, Jul-22-07, 17:22
hello all! Thanks for the welcome.

You don't have much to choose from when you live in a small town. The nearest big city is about 45 mins. away. So I could go there same time if the stuff Wal mart sells is no good.

joesfolks
Sun, Jul-22-07, 17:49
I just use any multi vitamin that I can afford. If you are concerned about the quality of your vitamins call your doctor and ask which over the counter vitamin he/she would recommend. There is no sense in driving all the way to "big town" if you don't have to. Maybe the next time you happen to be there you can pick up some specialty shop vitamins if that is what you want. But in the mean time just got with whatever you can get at Walmart.

Demokat
Sun, Jul-22-07, 18:19
You can order higher-quality vitamins on the internet from Vitamin Shoppe, GNC, or smaller suppliers. I'm sure someone could recommend a website with good prices on Twinlab, Solgar, or Country Life. You don't need all the fillers that crap vitamins have. Given that many of those vitamins are mass manufactured in places like China, and that many of the foods we import from China are poisoned, would you take a chance ingesting these vitamins? I don't mean to scare you, but I recently saw this article:

http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/Most-Vitamins-Are-Now-Made-In-China-19048.aspx

The industry in China appears to be split between top-notch operations and bottom-of-the-barrel producers. Since the United States does not require country-of-origin labels for any of our drugs, foods or supplements, there is no telling where that vitamin you are taking came from.

Do you think Walmart buys from top-notch or bottom of the barrel producers?

Gostrydr
Mon, Jul-23-07, 08:47
Yes, listen to what Demokat says.This isn't a case of "well, taking these Wal Mart vitamins is better than nothing" WRONG!

You are throwing your money away..

If you can, take the time and drive yourself to wherever you need to go and get a good quality multi.

Your health is worth that right?
Or as Demokat says, order online..you may get a better deal that way.

And with all due respect, I wouldn't ask my doctor(unless he was a Naturopath) to recommend any vitamin supplement.