PDA

View Full Version : Delicate question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sarah-64
Sat, Feb-16-02, 12:10
I know it's a delicate subject, and I apologise in advance, but:-
Is it normal to 'stall' around 'that time of the month'?
Sorry guys, I know some of you are scared just by the mention of it. - LOL

Marlaine
Sat, Feb-16-02, 12:38
Hi there......

Yes, it seems very common around TOM, for weight loss to stop and even reverse. The thing to keep in mind is that it's most likely a fluid retention thing rather than a reversal in fat loss. If you read through some of the journals, you will see many of the ladies lamenting TOM for this very reason. It's part and parcel of your body chemistry though, so don't let it get you down. Patience and perseverence will see you through.

Marlaine

odd sock
Sat, Feb-16-02, 13:01
Just in the middle of such a reversal! We'll get over it!

Demi
Sat, Feb-16-02, 13:22
Hi Sarah,

I found that during the first few months of low carbing, I usually gained, but six months on this no longer happens. I presume it is because I drink so much water and this prevents fluid retention, which is often the cause of a TOM gain.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has experienced this.

Demi

fiona
Sat, Feb-16-02, 14:02
Hi Sarah

Absolutely no need for apologies or embarrasment. The guys on this forum are tough, strong and slim! ;) or getting that way quickly.

Yes it is quite normal for me to gain 1-2 lbs. I don't worry about it too much. Concentrate on staying on track as far as possible.

Take care.

Scotsman
Sat, Feb-16-02, 17:32
Who is this TOM chap that keeps visiting all you girls?

It's not that old crooner TOM JONES is it!!!

Yours aye, Scotsman :wiggle: ;)

ruby
Sat, Feb-16-02, 21:54
hI,
i always gain 3 the 2 days before and it disappears on the 2nd day.

Ruby :)

Daschnook
Sun, Feb-17-02, 04:49
HI

I began Induction the week before my TOM and lost 4 lbs ... interestingly enough, I get bloated right after the TOM so it will be interesting to see what happens to me (weight-wise) this week which is the second week of my Induction. Wish me Luck!!!

Daschnook

fiona
Sun, Feb-17-02, 09:13
Hi Scotsman. Tom Jones ... who is he? ;)

Dashnook: {... lost 4 lbs ... interestingly enough, I get bloated right after the TOM } Just goes to show how each and every one of us is unique, individual, special. Waiting to hear your news at the end of next week.

Take care now.

10stone10
Mon, Feb-18-02, 16:10
Does anyone get carb cravings before TOM?
I have no carb cravings except at this time and I am trying sooooo hard...
anybody got some good tips to get through this troublesome time? My whole body is crying out for chocolate and MOODY - you have no idea!
Sandra

fiona
Mon, Feb-18-02, 17:28
Yes the old patterns emerge very strongly everytime at TOM. It is better not to give in to the carb cravings.

I find it helps if I have a few extra vegetable carbs, I'll even have a slice of Ryvita spread with Tahini ... yes I know not the same as a bar of chocolate, but that is what makes the moodiness worse. Try to increase your sleep/relaxation/Rest time. It's often tiredness that makes people more vulnerable.

It will take time to change the patterns and habits of many years of chocolate binges just before TOM but change it you must. Congratulate yourself and celebrate each day that you succeed.

It will get easier, Sandra - I promise you. But only if you resist. Give in once and the cravings get worse. Just not worth it.

Take care.

tink
Fri, Feb-22-02, 16:32
I always want chocolate before TOM....i generally keep a supply of sugarfree / low carb chocolate in. I know a variety of places to get it from and I find one piece is usually enough.

It hasn't stopped me losing the weight and it stops me craving the bread and crisps !

10stone10
Fri, Feb-22-02, 18:03
Where do you get your sugar free/low carb chocolate from?
My local Boots used to have a good selection of diabetic foods that included diabetic chocolate but no longer!
Sandra

tink
Sat, Feb-23-02, 03:42
Hi,

Sometimes Boots is good if you can find one with stock, Carblife.com is good for choc bars, Thortons is okay but people seem to react to that....

Through lack of sweet things and frustration I set up my own site, originally for diabetics and people on low sugar diets. I then got into lowcarbing so i make sure that the majority of our products are suitable and we have a massive range of belgian chocolate....look at my profile to see my home page.

hope this helps

:roll:

lastchance
Tue, Feb-26-02, 10:41
I put on around 4lbs and quite frankly, need a different size bra!
But it's only temporary!

You got to think long-term on this WOE.

Good luck to all

Last Chance

10stone10
Tue, Feb-26-02, 15:48
Thanks Tink for the links. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. ISP problems. Fixed now (I hope).
The items on your web page look interesting and tasty. I was thinking for treats only until I read that they don't cause you to gain! Hmmm
My worst time for cravings is ovulation. I can (not always) breeze thru TOM but ovulation is always a problem. My moody post was then and I was sure in a state that day.
Fiona - your words helped but I still caved to my craving. Next month I will be stronger because I know you are right. I am going to be more in control.

Thanks for all the encouragement folks!
Sandra

lpoolkaren
Tue, Feb-26-02, 16:01
Hi Sarah,

You certainly can "stall" around "that time of the month". You can even gain a few pounds. But dont get disheartened, you will lose it a few days after you have finished. I should know!! Last month i gained 4lb and was nearly suicidal, but a week later i had lost 8lb :D Keep up the good work

Karen

10stone10
Tue, Feb-26-02, 16:14
Lastchance - I'm lucky I don't tend to swell, just bite everyone's head off. Which is worse!?!?
lpoolkaren - Way to go ! 8 pounds is great going! :thup:
Sandra

tink
Wed, Feb-27-02, 15:53
Hi Sandra

Glad you found it...we do offer low carbers a discount...during the check out process when you are asked for a coupon code enter LC10 and you will get 10% off your order.

with regards to loss and gain...i always gain a couple of pounds during TOM but it always drops off quickly afterwards...i have learnt not to panic !

keep going....you'll get there !

tink

:roll:

Anna.G
Sun, Mar-24-02, 15:11
Hiya Everyone,

Before I started this woe I always got terrible chocolate cravings and my mum told me to take Vitamin B suppiments as some how they stop the cravings.

I find they work fine for me and they might work for you too.

Good luck

Anna :wave: :spin: :roll:

disneybebe
Sun, Mar-24-02, 16:00
Hi AnnaG,
Welcome to this forum :wave:
Congragulations on your weight loss, u're half way to your goal now.
Bebe :wave:

lossiebeth
Mon, Mar-25-02, 12:39
This is a VERY interesting thread! I am nearing the end of induction, though am going on holiday soon so think I'll keep on it a bit longer-it's no hassle aside from the obvious lack of chocolate :daze:

Anyway, I am pre-premenstrual, as it were, and just this last day, I have been eyeing up (but not touching!) EVERYthing not allowed, and madly wishing there was an Atkins store, or SOME low-carb shop in Lossiemouth or the vicinity ;) Did someone say that Boots has low-carb chocolate? Is Diabetic stuff alright? I certainly didn't know THAT!

I had been fine on induction, even watching my husband eat a Cadbury's creme egg McFlurry (9-stone bugger that he is!) without too much concern-2 weeks ago and I'd have grabbed it out of his hand! However, it is getting tougher. Still, nobody ever said this was going to be easy, and even if they DID, I didn't believe them!

Anna.G
Mon, Mar-25-02, 15:46
Hiya Bebe,

Thanx I really don't feel that close to my goal but I know I'm 70lb closer than I ever expected to be! 91 to go and having fun getting there!!

Anna :wave: :roll: :spin:

Anna.G
Mon, Mar-25-02, 15:49
Oops Sorry BETH I got your name wrong! I'm half asleep!

Appologies

Anna

all the best :daze: Anna

:wave: :spin: :roll:

Anna.G
Mon, Mar-25-02, 15:51
AARRGGH! I really am half asleep!!! I had your name right the first time!!

Anna :daze:

:wave: :spin: :roll:

10stone10
Mon, Mar-25-02, 16:15
Hi Anna G and thanks for your tip about Vitamin B.
I'm coming up to TOM and I'll take any tip I can find about controlling cravings!!!
Lossiebeth, I found the low carb chocolate too hard to resist!
When I just can't bear it anymore I make my own using cocoa powder, butter, sweetener and cream. You have to watch the sweetener though, some types cause stalls.
It gets me through some pretty ferocious PMT though ;)
Sandra

lossiebeth
Tue, Mar-26-02, 05:04
WOW! What a concept, D.I.Y. chocolate! You're a genius, Sandra!

:clap:

Now I am wondering what sort of quantities you use. As for sweetneners, I tend to use Hermesetas as they are pure saccharin. The granulated stuff has "stuff" in it, so I just crush up the wee tablets if I need sweetnes in something-used to do it to my Shredded wheat! How sad is that? ;)

T.O.M., here's I come, fully armed for resistance! :cheer:

Thanks for that; you're an :angel:

disneybebe
Tue, Mar-26-02, 15:40
Hi Beth,
Your post was really funny, u know about that "TOM here I come" comment. Have u checked out the Sweet Treats section here in this forum? We got a lot of DIY choc-treats there. Happy low-carbing!
Bebe