PDA

View Full Version : T-man's Revolution Rolls

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

WH1968
Wed, Jul-18-07, 07:17
Okay here's exactly what I do.. I ALWAYS double my recipe to get one dozen rolls...

Revolution Rolls - 12 Rolls

8 eggs, separated
1/4 tsp of cream of tartar
3 Tbs. of Hellman's Mayonaise
1/4 Tsp of Garlic powder (optional)
Sprinkle of cheddar for the top
Sprinkle of freshly grated parmesian cheese for

Put whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl. With an electric mixer, beat until whites are stiff..(don't move in the bowl), but not dry.

NOTE: Separate the whites from the yolk in a separate container because I've noticed if you get any yolk in your whites then they won't beat as fluffy.

In a medium bowl, mix yolks, mayonaise, and garlic. Mix
until well blended.

Dump all the yolks on top of the whites mixture.. Gently fold the mixtures together. Do not "mix" you must "fold"

Either using a muffin-top pan (which has been sprayed with Pam) or a cookie sheet, plop 6 mounds.

NOTE: I put the base on and make sure it's spread then pile it up so it's high.

Add sprinkles of cheese to the tops.

Bake at 300 for 25-30 minutes until well browned...Cool on rack and then store in baggies in the fridge.

NOTE: I don't have a rack so I cool them on my wood cutting board in the picture.

I'm sure there are other methods, but this is a very basic, easy one

WH1968
Wed, Jul-18-07, 07:18
Here's pictures

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z40/whitelighter1968/revrollsonesmall.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z40/whitelighter1968/revrollsbunchsmall.jpg

Demokat
Wed, Jul-18-07, 07:24
Mmm, they look yummy. Maybe I can use some wasabi mayo to make them a little spicy! I love the addition of cheese. Do you know what the carb count is?

pennink
Wed, Jul-18-07, 07:25
show off (giggle)

WH1968
Wed, Jul-18-07, 07:36
Mmm, they look yummy. Maybe I can use some wasabi mayo to make them a little spicy! I love the addition of cheese. Do you know what the carb count is?

honestly have no clue... I usually count 1.5 carbs each because of the eggs. I'm not very good with Fit Day or those programs.. perhaps a kind soul could do that for us.

Timothy

BetsyJ64
Wed, Jul-18-07, 11:25
Gotta get me a muffin top pan!!!

Quasimodo
Wed, Jul-18-07, 16:58
These look lovely....what do you serve them with?

msdbobby
Wed, Jul-18-07, 17:08
Thanks for the variation. I always use the recipe that calls for cream cheese. This is a nice change for days when I want to lay low on the cream cheese.

You said that you double the recipe for a dozen, is the recipe you gave already doubled?

Thanks, can't wait to try.

red14him
Fri, Jul-20-07, 17:52
T-Man, these rolls look AWESOME.

Thank you so much for posting and giving us pictures.

I'm always on the lookout for good bread-substitute recipes. Thanks again!

WH1968
Fri, Jul-20-07, 19:02
The recipe I posted is for 12 rolls..

T-man

MorganMac
Fri, Jul-20-07, 19:52
I made them and they are SO GOOD!

The mayo is much easier to fold into the whites and helps keep them fluffy, not to mention the carb difference between that and ricotta or cream cheese!

Fluffy, bready, what more could you ask for :) (besides a muffin top pan that will fit in my convection oven, LOL)

Thanks again!

EmmaB
Fri, Jul-20-07, 22:15
Here are the Fitday stats per roll for T-man's recipe:

0.74 g carbs
91.56 calories
7.25 g fat
0.01 g fibre
5.56 g protein

Percentage of calories: 71% fat, 3% carbs, 26% protein.

This was for the following exact recipe:

Makes 12 rolls

8 extra large eggs
3 tablespoons regular mayonnaise
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 oz cheddar cheese
1/2 oz parmesan cheese

T-man - if you think you use more or less cheese than this, let me know and I'll correct it.

Oh yeah, and if you spray/grease your pan you'll get a teeeeensy bit more fat there. I only mention this because I gave you the figures to two decimal places so if I'm going to be accurate, I should note this too :)

TimesTwo
Sat, Jul-21-07, 05:40
Looks good! I'll try this recipe next time.

Gypsybyrd
Mon, Jul-23-07, 18:11
Well ... I needed a quick boost this evening as I got ready to make dinner. Soooo ... I had some mini muffin rev rolls (a la T-man's recipe but minus the cheese as I can't eat cheese) and then mixed a bit of olive oil with a bit of garlic infused oil and used that as a dipping oil for the mini rev roll muffins. Hit the spot! Great appetizer!

I'm wondering - can the dipping oil be done with coconut oil instead?

pennink
Mon, Jul-23-07, 18:15
oh and balsamic vinegar and olive oil dipping sauce (like I had in France) is AWESOME!

TimesTwo
Mon, Jul-23-07, 18:16
I make rev rolls on a parchment lined cookie sheet, but now I absolutely must have a muffin top pan! I've looked everywhere except for restaurant supply stores. Where'd you get yours, WH?

WH1968
Mon, Jul-23-07, 18:23
I make rev rolls on a parchment lined cookie sheet, but now I absolutely must have a muffin top pan! I've looked everywhere except for restaurant supply stores. Where'd you get yours, WH?

I actually ordered mine from amazon.com

T-man

WH1968
Mon, Jul-23-07, 18:24
Well ... I needed a quick boost this evening as I got ready to make dinner. Soooo ... I had some mini muffin rev rolls (a la T-man's recipe but minus the cheese as I can't eat cheese) and then mixed a bit of olive oil with a bit of garlic infused oil and used that as a dipping oil for the mini rev roll muffins. Hit the spot! Great appetizer!

I'm wondering - can the dipping oil be done with coconut oil instead?

Sure can... and it's delicious too.....

T-man

EmmaB
Mon, Jul-23-07, 18:51
I made my rolls without cheese, too. Then the other night I was making chocolate bark (coconut oil plus cocoa powder plus sweetener) and I discovered that the warm mixture was perfect for dipping a rev roll into! The effect was just like a fresh croissant dipped into a delicious, rich hot chocolate. Brought back memories of breakfasts in France. Soooo good! And entirely dairy-free!

Next time I will add one more drop of splenda to my rev roll recipe to make them a teensy bit sweeter and just perfect for dipping into warm, chocolately coconut oil. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

Gypsybyrd
Mon, Jul-23-07, 19:07
I'll have to try it then ... :yum:

ewinpa
Wed, Jul-25-07, 10:34
Lookout world, Amazon has shipped my muffin tins :thup:
Anybody have any other variations on flavorings? Anybody ever use these as french toast?

Gypsybyrd
Wed, Jul-25-07, 11:52
I bet the people at Amazon are scratching their heads and wondering about this run on muffin-top pans! hehehhehe

snicker
Thu, Jul-26-07, 08:47
I am not and probably never be a great cook. I am really good at country cooking like frying squash, okry and taters as they say down here. I tried these rolls last night. I guess I did do something wrong. The first eight of them came out very good but by the time I got the the last four the mixture was really soupy and they did not do very well. They were so runny I could not get all of the batter on my large cookie sheet so I put the rest of it in a large ramkin bowl and microwaved it for three minutes. It turned out very well!! It looked like a yellow english muffin. I split it this morning and had a ham steak and cheddard sandwich out of it. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong. The egg whites were real stiff, would not move when I tipped the bowel. Maybe I did not fold in the yolk mixture right. Any way I think next time, if that happens I will make only eight roll and two or three englis muffins.

BetsyJ64
Thu, Jul-26-07, 08:58
I am not and probably never be a great cook. I am really good at country cooking like frying squash, okry and taters as they say down here. I tried these rolls last night. I guess I did do something wrong. The first eight of them came out very good but by the time I got the the last four the mixture was really soupy and they did not do very well. They were so runny I could not get all of the batter on my large cookie sheet so I put the rest of it in a large ramkin bowl and microwaved it for three minutes. It turned out very well!! It looked like a yellow english muffin. I split it this morning and had a ham steak and cheddard sandwich out of it. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong. The egg whites were real stiff, would not move when I tipped the bowel. Maybe I did not fold in the yolk mixture right. Any way I think next time, if that happens I will make only eight roll and two or three englis muffins.

I am guessing that you didn't fold the mixture enough. All the yolks collected at the bottom instead of being incorporated gently through the batter. Sometimes I don't even use all of the yolk mixture, if I see it pooling in the bottom of the bowl.

MorganMac
Thu, Jul-26-07, 08:59
I just made a batch of these in my muffin-top pan in the regular oven (non-convection). They came out wonderfully!

I added garlic powder, oregano and topped with grated parmesano reggiano cheese....... mmmm a drizzle of butter and I have garlic bread again! WOOHOO!!! :celebrates! oh happy day!:

Gypsybyrd
Thu, Jul-26-07, 10:06
Just for the record ... when the pan says DO NOT SPRAY/OIL the pan ... do it anyways. Normally I do anyway - but this was a new pan that vehemently told me not to use oil. :rolleyes: That's the last time I don't use oil.

Oh yeah ... I made 8 last night. I mixed in some coconut oil. And I topped 4 with sf caramel syrup. YUMMMMMMMMY

Raine'sMom
Thu, Jul-26-07, 10:09
I'm going to try this tonight! My muffin pan only holds 6 or 8. (I'm at work - can't look yet) Should I use a cookie sheet for the rest or could it sit out until those are cooked and I then use the muffin pan again? What do you think?

deb34
Thu, Jul-26-07, 11:57
I'm going to try this tonight! My muffin pan only holds 6 or 8. (I'm at work - can't look yet) Should I use a cookie sheet for the rest or could it sit out until those are cooked and I then use the muffin pan again? What do you think?

cut the recipe in half and you should be good to go for 6 rolls

TimesTwo
Thu, Jul-26-07, 16:06
I made these a couple days ago. These are much more stable than the cream cheese ones! I also ordered 2 muffin top pans from Ebay. I'm going to make a ton and freeze them.

Kaylee
Sun, Jul-29-07, 17:39
I made these a couple days ago. These are much more stable than the cream cheese ones! I also ordered 2 muffin top pans from Ebay. I'm going to make a ton and freeze them.
Have you or anyone else gotten good results from freezing them?

I'm an awful cook, but I'm about to give these a shot. It would be awesome to only have to go through all this anxiety this every month or so. :lol:

TimesTwo
Sun, Jul-29-07, 18:41
Well, I've successfully frozen the recipe that calls for 3 tbsp of cream cheese and 3 eggs. I'll try it with one of these next time and let you know. :)

Kaylee
Sun, Jul-29-07, 22:52
Thanks, TimesTwo. :)

Well, I did it, and they turned out great, except that I screwed up with the number. I was reading the written part of the recipe, where it says "plop 6 mounds." after scrolling past what was written at the top. You know, where he thoroughly explains that it makes 12? :lol: :lol:

I had so much stuff, and kept piling and piling, trying not to let them tip over... Finally I thought maybe I just had extra-fluffy eggs and decided to go ahead and make a couple smaller ones on another cookie sheet. I expected them to come out like tortillas, but they turned out normal and best, since they weren't piled 6" up. lol

Anyway, I didn't put any seasonings in mine, so they were a bit too eggy smelling when they first came out. But I just tried a chilled one with whipped cream on top, and it was delicious! I'm going out to buy strawberries tomorrow. :yum:

So thank you, T-Man! I have avoided attempting this with the other recipes, because the thought of cottage cheese sounded awful, and trying to mix stubborn cream cheese was just too much for me. But your recipe makes them easy and great. :thup:

imlosingit
Mon, Jul-30-07, 11:19
Does it have to be Hellmans mayo to be that good? I only have one muffin top pan, would I need to let it cool before I put the 2nd batch in the oven.

BetsyJ64
Mon, Jul-30-07, 11:37
Does it have to be Hellmans mayo to be that good? I only have one muffin top pan, would I need to let it cool before I put the 2nd batch in the oven.

I used the Wegmans store brand of mayo and they turned out perfect. As long as it's the full fat mayo.

TimesTwo
Mon, Jul-30-07, 17:33
Does it have to be Hellmans mayo to be that good? I only have one muffin top pan, would I need to let it cool before I put the 2nd batch in the oven.I would make only half of the recipe at a time with one muffin top pan. If you make the entire recipe in two batches, the second batch's mixture will probably be deflated by the time you're ready to use it.

Gypsybyrd
Mon, Jul-30-07, 17:38
Well I've been adding CO to my recipe. Tonight I used 4 eggs, 1T mayo, 2t Splenda (1 in the egg whites and 1 in the yolks) and 3T CO. When I went to 'plop' them - the mix was a bit more runny than before. Maybe I'll try adding an extra egg white next time ... if I remember I'll post how they taste tomorrow. :)

imlosingit
Mon, Jul-30-07, 20:39
I made these tonight... Used the 8 egg white recipe...put it in my muffin top pan, there was only enough mixture left to do only one more mound, so I threw it away. They look just like TMans, but thicker. They turned out beautifully, and my house smells wonderful. I can't wait to have my sausage biscuit tomorrow. Thanks, TMan. I think the muffin top pan makes ALL the difference with these. Great tip Tman. They look so pretty!

SO next time...I guess I won't put as much mixture into each muffin thingy..or maybe I will....They could be split in half, and chicken, hamburger patty, put in between. At least until I get another pan.

Gypsybyrd
Tue, Jul-31-07, 13:54
Well I've been adding CO to my recipe. Tonight I used 4 eggs, 1T mayo, 2t Splenda (1 in the egg whites and 1 in the yolks) and 3T CO. When I went to 'plop' them - the mix was a bit more runny than before. Maybe I'll try adding an extra egg white next time ... if I remember I'll post how they taste tomorrow. :)

Well they taste good - I had to eat them on the go so it was literally jus tthe 3 rev rolls - no butter or meat or anything. I could probably have cooked them another 5 minutes or so. But I was leary of overcooking them so I took them out too soon. lol

Oh! I added a packet of Splenda to the egg whites this time - and I definitely think it made a difference. So for those looking for more flavor - maybe add some dry flavorings to both the egg yolks and whites? I don't know how much you can add to the whites before they won't fluff - but it might be worth experimenting with.

imlosingit
Tue, Jul-31-07, 14:50
Not sure what I did wrong, unless it's because I made them too thick, but it was too eggy for me. I have made them several times (cream cheese version) and ate those with no problem. Anyone else notice this recipe tasting more eggy? Or do you think I made them too thick and thats why.

amandababy
Wed, Aug-01-07, 16:07
Hey there my daughter and I made these they turned out good but they had a soggy taste its like I gaged evey bit I took, Why do they taste soggy? Please any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

Gypsybyrd
Wed, Aug-01-07, 17:18
Soggy ... maybe undercooked?

Too eggy - odd - I don't taste any egg flavor. Maybe add flavoring?

Quasimodo
Wed, Aug-01-07, 17:27
Do these rolls have to be made on a muffin top pan?

LukeA
Wed, Aug-01-07, 17:44
Not sure what I did wrong, unless it's because I made them too thick, but it was too eggy for me. I have made them several times (cream cheese version) and ate those with no problem. Anyone else notice this recipe tasting more eggy? Or do you think I made them too thick and thats why.

The recipe made with mayonaise to me tastes to "eggy" as well. Probably since mayo is made from eggs so adding it to the recipe will of course make it taste more like eggs than a recipe that instead uses something like cream cheese to cover up the taste.

TimesTwo
Wed, Aug-01-07, 17:52
I froze one of these overnight, and it thawed out fine. It actually helped stiffen the roll up a bit.

Gypsybyrd
Wed, Aug-01-07, 20:33
Do these rolls have to be made on a muffin top pan?

Nope. Not at all. You can use a simple cookie sheet too. The muffin top pan seems to help them keep a perfectly round shape and a more consistent depth.

Gypsybyrd
Wed, Aug-01-07, 20:34
I froze one of these overnight, and it thawed out fine. It actually helped stiffen the roll up a bit.

Hmmmm that's good to know ... that means I can make a bunch up and freeze them instead of making them 2-3 times/week. How did you defrost it?

imlosingit
Wed, Aug-01-07, 21:28
Thanks for the answer about it being eggy. I won't waste any more eggs :). I will go back to the cream cheese version tomorrow. I really like them.

TimesTwo
Wed, Aug-01-07, 23:17
Hmmmm that's good to know ... that means I can make a bunch up and freeze them instead of making them 2-3 times/week. How did you defrost it?I just put it on the counter for about half an hour. It did sink a bit, making the middle kind of dense, but I didn't mind.

Gypsybyrd
Wed, Aug-01-07, 23:37
Thanks TimesTwo ... :)

TimesTwo
Wed, Aug-01-07, 23:38
You're welcome. :)

Quasimodo
Thu, Aug-02-07, 07:52
Nope. Not at all. You can use a simple cookie sheet too. The muffin top pan seems to help them keep a perfectly round shape and a more consistent depth.

Ahh ok, I see. Will look for one if I ever want to make these. :) Actually, I will want to, I've just been too lazy, and then there was my question about the pan....LOL

Thanks Gypsy!

EDIT: Ok I bought this pan at the Salvation Army for $2.35 after pricing those muffin-top pans. I think this will work for this recipe, but can anyone see any reason why it wouldn't?
http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h142/WeatheredsPics/?action=view&current=Picture010.jpg

TIA!

O2BME
Tue, Oct-02-07, 19:22
Haven't posted for a long time, but back on and loosing again. My husband, a chef, made these tonight. AWESOME! I can't tell you how good they were. Thanks. By the way I am on my 3rd week of Atkins 72, I feel that tonight I had a cheat by eating one of these with butter.

JessDMB41
Sun, Nov-04-07, 05:58
going to try these later today. thank you!!!

Lucy F
Sun, Nov-04-07, 16:06
Oh yum, I like the mayo version better than the cream cheese version. I don't have the special pan but mine turned out great anyway. Delicious, beautiful and best of all - something I can make a sandwich on. :clap: :clap: :clap:

JustAGirl
Sun, Dec-09-07, 05:43
Has anyone tried these with butter or oil instead of mayo?

JustAGirl
Sun, Dec-16-07, 02:27
bump :idea:

k-boogie
Mon, Dec-17-07, 15:49
I'm gonna try this tonight without the muffin top pan

reecesmama
Tue, Dec-18-07, 00:13
am i the only one who didn't like these?? i could only eat one...i finally had to throw them away...it tasted like eating a fluffy cold egg..

mermaiden9
Tue, Dec-18-07, 04:25
I enjoyed these as a sandwich with avocado, bacon, cheese and more mayo. So yummy, so decadent!

I had to use a cookie sheet to make them on so they were not very uniform. They weren't what I expected but good anyway.

Reeces Mama, I think they are best eaten as a sandwich, not on their own, although I'm sure some do eat them that way.

BetsyJ64
Tue, Dec-18-07, 05:48
A REALLY GOOD way to eat these is to make a "mock Cinnabon" - mix up some butter w/Splenda, cinnamon and a little cream, and spread it on top. It's delish!

k-boogie
Tue, Dec-18-07, 12:20
Okay I made these and they didn't turn out the way I had hoped. I don't know they were kind of eggy tasting but I did make a sandwhich out of two and the others are in a ziplock in the fridge. I might try to make them again just to see if I indeed make them right.

They weren't like "rolls" per se more like the foam thingys you use to cushion stuff in a box. I don't know what went wrong but I'll try again

pennink
Tue, Dec-18-07, 12:36
they are kind of like 'foamy things'

mine never taste egg though... kinda wish they did.

Anyca
Sat, Jan-19-08, 21:17
am i doing something wrong here? i am trying to make these
now i dont have an electric mixer... but i am beating these egg whites with a whisk....

and it's just not getting firm.... foamy at the top... but.. not .. stiff..

should i be beating harder? lol someone please :help:

:lol:

leslieam
Sun, Jan-20-08, 07:29
Anyca - Personally I can't whip my eggwhites without an electric mixer. It takes a minute or so with an electric mixer - I can't imagine trying to do it without one. Maybe someone will have some ideas, though.

I just made a batch of these last night and again I'm very pleased with the results. :yum:

Gypsybyrd
Sun, Jan-20-08, 07:37
From what I understand, using a hand whisk means whisking/beating for a very long time and you need to do it fast as possible.

Odd that they don't taste like eggs ... given that's their main ingredient. I made some yesterday with SF French Vanilla Syrup brushed on top. Then, as a midnight snack, I topped them with homemade sf strawberry preserves and ate them. :yum:

Anyca
Sun, Jan-20-08, 13:23
:lol: i am on my way to buy... some more eggs.. and a mixer
lol .. if it's not been said before.. do not attempt this without a mixer!! lol

lisabinil
Sun, Jan-20-08, 22:09
Okay I made these and they didn't turn out the way I had hoped. I don't know they were kind of eggy tasting but I did make a sandwhich out of two and the others are in a ziplock in the fridge. I might try to make them again just to see if I indeed make them right.

They weren't like "rolls" per se more like the foam thingys you use to cushion stuff in a box. I don't know what went wrong but I'll try again

You didn't do anything wrong-this is what they are. Think soft meringue roll.

Anyca
Tue, Jan-22-08, 23:55
I actually did it! yay!!
boy what a HUGE difference a mixer makes!! :lol:
now.. lol my next thing to improve upon-- i spooning it out like it was cookie mix... soooo there were these small mounds... and yep eventually they ran together..

next time i will make bigger mounds with much more space...
i guess the six mounds was pretty accurate...(i was wondering why i came out with TWO full cookie sheets full :lol: )

.muse.
Wed, Jan-23-08, 20:23
I've got my rev rolls in the oven right now. No cheese, no garlic powder, just the main 'egg' ingredients. I don't have a muffin pan, and I'm not sure what exactly is considered a "stiff" egg. When I poked it with my finger, the white mix did the little dairy queen foopy-curl thing, but once i folded in the mix, it was quite a bit runnier.

I'll have to keep at it and see. This recipe will be divine for me if I can get it working out right, especially since eggs are so bloody cheap and these are so low carb. Figure I'll use mine like bread and pile up some homemade curry cucumber chicken mix on it with some sliced avocado for lunch. Mm..

Gypsybyrd
Wed, Jan-23-08, 21:34
I've got my rev rolls in the oven right now. No cheese, no garlic powder, just the main 'egg' ingredients. I don't have a muffin pan, and I'm not sure what exactly is considered a "stiff" egg. When I poked it with my finger, the white mix did the little dairy queen foopy-curl thing, but once i folded in the mix, it was quite a bit runnier.

I'll have to keep at it and see. This recipe will be divine for me if I can get it working out right, especially since eggs are so bloody cheap and these are so low carb. Figure I'll use mine like bread and pile up some homemade curry cucumber chicken mix on it with some sliced avocado for lunch. Mm..

When beating the egg whites, beat them until they don't move if you flip the bowl upside down. That should be the proper stiffness. And be careful of how much you mix the whites back into the yolk mixture - don't do it too much or you'll end up with runny mix.

.muse.
Wed, Jan-23-08, 22:15
I made them, though not as stiff as gypsy recommended, and they turned out fantastic. threw a tiny bit of 1 carb ketchup on one with some sliced hot pork from dinner and mushed it together, just like a sammie. Mm!

Definitely a staple food.

Oh, speaking of - anyone experience stalls with these? I know it's just eggs and mayo, but I'm not sure how spices react.

IrishShrty
Tue, Jan-29-08, 10:11
I have these in the oven sprinkled with colby jack cheese and Bacon bits. Cant wait to try them:)

BluePants
Mon, Feb-04-08, 21:01
AND JUST IN TIME for Valentines day, the have Heart-shaped Muffin Top pans aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

Lie2MeJL
Thu, Feb-07-08, 22:13
Does anyone else have the issue of the rolls getting REALLY moist and much flatter after storing them in a container or a bag?? Mine come out looking awesome but get really moist and flat after a day or so....

Terry36
Fri, Feb-15-08, 22:07
I store mine in a large coffee tin, they fit perfectly, but they do get
moist and flatter after a few days....but I don't mind.

I tried the cream cheese ones and they were good, but too high in carbs for me (Canadian cream cheese is 1 carb per tbsp). Then I saw this recipe. I make them plain: 8 large eggs 1/4 tsp cot, and 3 tbsp mayo. That is it and they are 0.5 carbs per roll. I love these; they saved my diet. I have hamburgers everyday (with lots of lettuce) and often I use them to make eclairs.

eclairs: rev roll spread with coconut oil/cocoa powder/stevia mixture and topped with stevia sweetened whipped cream and topped with another rev roll. Sometimes I use sf preserves instead of the coconut oil/cocoa mixture.

I can't believe that I am on a diet.

Fried egg sandwiches with mayo...so funny because it is egg and mayo top..egg and mayo middle..egg and mayo bottom.

I went to Harvey's and ordered a bacon cheese classic burger and told them I was allergic to wheat and could they please make the burger with my bun instead. They were happy to do that for me. Wow!!! It was so good.

I couldn't remember where I saw this recipe and I have been scouring the web to find Timothy to thank him. It wasn't on this thread but it is the same recipe and his name is Timothy so I think my gratitude is going to the right person.
Thanks Timothy!! I can do Atkins forever now because I don't feel that I am missing anything!!!

weasel!
Tue, Apr-01-08, 06:00
am i doing something wrong here? i am trying to make these
now i dont have an electric mixer... but i am beating these egg whites with a whisk....

and it's just not getting firm.... foamy at the top... but.. not .. stiff..

should i be beating harder? lol someone please :help:

:lol:

What kind of tool are you using? Some whisks are not made well. I have encountered whisks that I couldn't beat whites stiff with.

A good, large balloon whisk should get you stiff whites in a few minutes. I use a hand-cranked rotary beater and I get stiff whites in 50 seconds. With the electric hand mixer, it takes me four minutes.

BawdyWench
Sat, Apr-26-08, 06:18
Just one more question. I've read the entire thread, but might have missed it.

When you want to eat one (either alone or as a "sandwich"), do you warm it up again?

T-Man says to keep them in the fridge. Do you eat them cold?

THANKS!

pennink
Sat, Apr-26-08, 07:22
I don't leave mine in the fridge. I leave them in an open bread bag. I hate them cold and limp. BUT if you do, put them in the toaster oven to dry them out a bit before eating.

BawdyWench
Sat, Apr-26-08, 07:30
Toaster oven. EXCELLENT idea!

If you leave them in an open bag, don't they get moldy?

Here's another question. I don't really like mayonnaise, so I don't have it in the house. I do like Miracle Whip (full fat) and use it instead of mayo. I know it has a bit more carbs, but I find mayo to be greasy tasting whereas MW is not.

Think I can use MW? Really no need to answer (unless you've tried it and it turned out horribly), since I'll make my first batch that way.

Also, I wasn't going to put the cheese on the top, but then thought that maybe the shredded Parmesan cheese might make it a little more "solid" on the top. Not crunchy, really, but firmer.

BawdyWench
Sat, Apr-26-08, 07:33
Also, would these be horrible in regular muffin tins? Like others, I don't have a muffin TOP tin, but I do have two extra-large-muffin tins (they make muffins double the size of a regular muffin).

Maybe lengthen the cooking time a bit?

How will I know they're done? Stick a knife or a toothpick in and see if anything sticks?

Thanks for the help! I seem to be late to the game on these rolls! :)

Gypsybyrd
Sat, Apr-26-08, 13:01
I've wondered the same thing about knowing when they are done ... I've tried the knife trick but it didn't really seem to tell me much. But it might be different with an extra-large muffin tin.

I'm thinking about trying to make a "load" of these and then slice like regular bread but was concerned about knowing when they are done.

The parm on top sounds delicious and a great way to add some flavor. :-)

I keep mine in and airtight container in the fridge. I generally let them warm to room temp before actually eating them.

BawdyWench
Sat, Apr-26-08, 13:49
Since I last posted here, I asked someone on another thread, because she (ElleH) makes these. She uses 3 eggs, 1/4 tsp cream of tartar, 3 Tbsp mayo, plus some garlic and onion powder. She just plops them on parchment paper on a cookie sheet (and shapes them a little with the back of the spoon) and then bakes them for a full hour at 300. She says they come out almost crumbly, so she lets them cool a few minutes and then puts them in a Tupperware container with a lid for about an hour. This last "steaming" makes them the perfect consistency. She says they really do have a bread-like mouth feel. For storage, she keeps them in a plastic bag on the counter, and opens the bag to let them "breath" for 15 minutes a day.

I just realized I'm out of eggs, so these will have to wait until I go to the grocery store tomorrow.

Lie2MeJL
Sat, Apr-26-08, 21:59
made these tonight and I think I like them more than the oopsies. I think I'm makin a grilled cheese tomorrow :yum:

Gypsybyrd
Sat, Apr-26-08, 23:36
Let me know how the grilled cheese turns out?

I'm tempted to try to make them into a cream puff ... or jelly roll.

BetsyJ64
Sun, Apr-27-08, 04:51
Let me know how the grilled cheese turns out?

I'm tempted to try to make them into a cream puff ... or jelly roll.

I have used them for cream puffs, putting a scoop of froszen chocolate cream inside and drizzling the top w/Walden Farms SF Chocolate Syrup- VERY GOOD!!

Lie2MeJL
Sun, Apr-27-08, 17:04
Grilled cheese turned out good! My second batch was a little more crumbly but very good

ElleH
Sun, Apr-27-08, 17:56
Boy, that grilled cheese idea sounds great!

If I could solve the problem of the stickiness, I would be totally 100% satisfied with them.

Pennink, they don't dry out when exposed to air all the time? Yours stay OK? Maybe I'll try it again. Once I tried storin gthem in a baggie, sealed with a napkin in it. They got really dry and rubbery. I'm desperate here.

As much as I love them, after about the 2nd day they get pretty gross to me--no matter what I do. I force myself to eat them after that 2nd day. And I can't eat a batch in less than about 4 days. They are the most perfect the moment I remove them from the tupperware, an hour after they came out of the oven. If I could just "hold on" to that texture, they would be perfect. Maybe I should find a way to make smaller batches, like only 4 rolls, like in the old days when they baked bread every day or every couple of days? :rolleyes:

Next batch, I will try leaving them exposed to air, somehow, all the time.

pennink
Sun, Apr-27-08, 18:27
Sorry, Elle, didn't see your question.

No, they don't dry out. Perhaps it's that they're in an open plastic bag. I like them a bit dry though (really hate them soft).

I have made them with Miracle Whip (until I used that jar up and bought real mayo). They came out perfectly!

Lie2MeJL
Sun, Apr-27-08, 20:36
If I could solve the problem of the stickiness, I would be totally 100% satisfied with them.

That's my problem with the rev rolls and the ooopsies.

I rarely make either so when I do I usually end up eating them all before they get really nasty. Obviously using them for grilled cheese crisps them up a bit :)

BawdyWench
Mon, Apr-28-08, 03:09
I haven't made them yet, but once they get a little soft, couldn't you pop them in the toaster oven for a few minutes to crisp them up a bit?

Lie2MeJL
Mon, Apr-28-08, 08:47
Yeah but they're just not the same as when they come out...they pretty much deflate.

ElleH
Mon, Apr-28-08, 12:19
That's an idea, BawdyWench, and one I hadn't though of. I don't mind the deflation, I mind that sticky gummy texture they get after the 2nd day.

Mama Lu
Mon, Apr-28-08, 12:40
They freeze fine, but don't just dump them in a plastic bag and hope for the best—they'll stick. Either put a sheet of wax paper between each roll, or freeze them first in a single layer and then bag them.

Whoops. I didn't see where I was in the thread. This was in answer to a question posted on page 2. However, the advice stands. They freeze fine. :lol:

jazzfan
Mon, Jul-21-08, 17:55
Haven't read this entire thread so I hope I'm not repeating an earlier sentiment, but I did just try this recipe today and I this it's hilarious that you can take the ingredients for egg salad (minus cream of tarter, of course) and end up with faux bread! This recipe rocks!! :yum:

Gypsybyrd
Mon, Jul-21-08, 18:46
Hey Jazz - I don't think that comment's been made before! I've never thought of it that way. Too funny! I'm glad you like the recipe. Good luck!

skeeweeaka
Mon, Jul-21-08, 21:22
Wow these sound and look delicious...might give them a try soon!

TJ :rheart:

skeeweeaka
Tue, Oct-07-08, 21:21
I finally tried these today because I wanted a bun for my cheeseburger... I think the texture was ok, but they were kind of dry... Perhaps I whipped them too much...not sure....

missymagoo
Tue, Oct-07-08, 22:16
i might have to try this out. sue

skeeweeaka
Wed, Oct-08-08, 06:44
i might have to try this out. sue

They were definitely better today....after I put them in the baggie and refrigerated them they softened up.... Had a sausage and egg sandwich...delicious! Will definitely make these again.... Just took it out of the baggie and nuked for 10 seconds!

I definitely like using this recipe over Cleo's Oopsies because I don't need cream cheese....for these I always have the ingredients on hand! :thup:

jande2211
Fri, Oct-24-08, 06:49
Just a note: tried the original recipe and these are my new rolls. I will make them forever. Only change is that I use the whites of 8 eggs and the yolks of 6. Got the muffin top pans (talk about hard to find), and oh boy. Nice. Thank you so much for this recipe! Eggs and mayo. Who'd've thought.

zmenchhofe
Mon, Nov-24-08, 17:20
i have to tell you, i am new to LCD and i tried these (just with 1 egg(made 2 small rolls)) can i say WOW this is awesome!!! VIRTUALLY CARB FREE BREAD!

Edit: Also, I didnt have any mayo so I used just a little olive oil and they turned out great!

OLD LADY
Thu, Jan-15-09, 17:31
I found that I like mine with sour cream instead of mayo - What sour cream does for eggs is also what it does for the rolls - YUMMY
FYI before you add the yolk mixture lighten it by adding a dollop of the beaten egg whites and gently mixing it in - this will stop it from falling to the bottom of the whites and stops the deflating when you fold it together. Good Cooking

shopjunkie
Wed, Jul-08-09, 10:58
I'm going to make these tonight!

Garlic "bread" and a chicken cesar salad. Dinner is going to be yummy! :yum:

LizzyMc
Wed, Jul-29-09, 15:18
Going fishing tomorrow and this looks like the perfect answer to sandwiches, but after reading this thread I want eclairs and dipping and and and!

Pola79
Sun, Feb-28-10, 18:34
Hi, these rolls sound so good that I'm dying to make them, but I'm having problems finding cream of tartar. The other day I went to Pathmark and they didn't have it. Anyone knows where I can get it? I live in NY. Thank you

Gypsybyrd
Sun, Feb-28-10, 19:09
Should be in the spice section of any grocery store.

Pola79
Sun, Feb-28-10, 22:12
I'm going tommorrow! Thank You! :-)))

GlendaRC
Mon, Mar-01-10, 00:15
Hi, these rolls sound so good that I'm dying to make them, but I'm having problems finding cream of tartar. The other day I went to Pathmark and they didn't have it. Anyone knows where I can get it? I live in NY. Thank you
I don't know if anyone has clarified for you -- cream of tartar is a powder, not a liquid and it is a stabilizer. If you can't find it, the recipe will probably still work just as well.

Pola79
Mon, Mar-01-10, 07:52
Yes, I got an idea that it is a powder when Gypsybyrd said that it is in spice section. I've never used it before, so while baking my rolls I'm gonna see if i like it lol
Thank you guys for the help!!!!

Pola79
Tue, Mar-02-10, 12:11
OK, I baked these rolls yesterday and they turned out great! (Also approved by my kids lol). So today I've decied to bring 2 rolls with me to work to eat them for breakfast. I went to a deli and requested bacon, egg and cheese on my rolls. The sandwich turned out AWESOME!!! Just like a regular one. I'm sooo happy! :-). Thank You T!!!!

deirdra
Sat, Mar-13-10, 15:34
Has anyone tried making the recipe as a sheet (spread in a jellyroll or sheet cake pan) and later cut it into bread-shaped squares or rectangles?

GlendaRC
Sat, Mar-13-10, 22:55
I've just realized that, while T Man gets the credit for this version of the Rev. Rolls, no one seems to remember that the original recipe is in the 1972 DADR and I remember reading somewhere that all the recipes in that book were developed by Veronica Atkins. It used cottage cheese rather than mayo and no parm or cheddar topping but basically the same recipe.

I was interested to read that sour cream works instead of mayo -- I might try plain, high fat yogurt one of these days.

Shyvas
Sun, Mar-14-10, 02:59
I was interested to read that sour cream works instead of mayo -- I might try plain, high fat yogurt one of these days.

Glenda - you can always subsitute cream, sour cream, yogurt, quark, coconut milk, fromage frais and mayonnaise for all recipes.

Gypsybyrd
Sun, Mar-14-10, 07:54
Hmmmm, I had thought about trying coconut milk in this recipe. I may have to try that soon. Interesting ...

-----------------------

I wouldn't say no one remembers the original recipe was from the A72 book. It's been credited a lot around this forum and T-Man gets credit in this thread because of the tweak he put on the original recipe. Same as Cleotcha gets credit for the "oopsie rolls".

Just my two cents ...

BetsyJ64
Sun, Mar-14-10, 08:04
I wouldn't say no one remembers the original recipe was from the A72 book. It's been credited a lot around this forum and T-Man gets credit in this thread because of the tweak he put on the original recipe. Same as Cleotcha gets credit for the "oopsie rolls".

Just my two cents ...

:thup: :agree:

TimesTwo
Sun, Mar-14-10, 15:43
I've just realized that, while T Man gets the credit for this version of the Rev. Rolls, no one seems to remember that the original recipe is in the 1972 DADR and I remember reading somewhere that all the recipes in that book were developed by Veronica Atkins. It used cottage cheese rather than mayo and no parm or cheddar topping but basically the same recipeI remember...I'm just petrified of cottage cheese. :lol: Tried it on pickles as a kid once...never again!

deb34
Thu, May-27-10, 13:15
bumping this recipes

chermac
Fri, May-28-10, 16:37
Thanks for bumping the recipe. Can't believe that after being on Atkins for over a year I've never made a batch of the Revolution rolls

Candiflip
Fri, May-28-10, 17:34
thanks for bumping! I need to try these!

NinaS
Sat, May-29-10, 15:55
are these supposed to be fluffy? or kinda flat like a pita? Mine turned out flat, but they were still light and tasty......maybe it being 85 degrees here had something to do with it?

NinaS
Sat, May-29-10, 15:57
ooooooo......I just realized I can use these for BLT's !!!! come grocery day, come!

classykare
Wed, Jun-09-10, 13:15
Hello Nina I like your picture and your message

Gypsybyrd
Sat, Dec-25-10, 13:35
Just made these again this morning. Such a quick recipe and perfect for the base of Eggs Benedict. And the sop up the excess Hollandaise sauce extremely well!

bandit
Mon, Dec-27-10, 17:10
Made these for the first time today - used 4 eggs and got 6 in my muffin top pan. I prefer the Oopsie rolls but think I will stick with these as they are much more economical and as where I live cream cheese is $4.98 for an 8 oz. pak so the Oopsie ones are quite pricey. Once you make them into a sandwich they are just as good though. Had fried egg and cheese for lunch today.

deb34
Fri, Jan-21-11, 15:27
has it been asked anywhere in this thread whether the eggs and mayo etc need to be room temperature? I've read different things about eggs being better used at room temperture and making fluffier whites etc.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Kisal
Fri, Jan-21-11, 23:32
Egg whites beat a little more quickly and to a somewhat larger volume if they're at room temperature. I don't know that having the mayo at room temp would be any improvement, though.

I don't think, when mixed in with the whites, that the mayo would cool them to such an extent as to make a noticeable difference in the finished product. (I have not done comparison experiments to test this theory, though, so it's JMO. ;) )

I usually just grab the eggs and other stuff from the fridge and proceed to make the recipe. Now that I'm retired, I make no effort to be especially organized. More often than not, I'll just suddenly decide to make some Rev Rolls or Oopsies, dash on out to the kitchen and make them. :lol:

deb34
Tue, Jan-25-11, 12:45
I'll probably do the same, just make them, if the temperature of the eggs makes no difference.

Gypsybyrd
Tue, Jan-25-11, 15:30
Now that I'm retired, I make no effort to be especially organized. More often than not, I'll just suddenly decide to make some Rev Rolls or Oopsies, dash on out to the kitchen and make them. :lol:
Hmmmm... ummmm... I'm not retired and that seems to be what I do to. I'll be watching tv or reading or even working and suddenly decide to make Rev Rolls. lol

MiniMim
Wed, Jan-26-11, 14:10
I'd heard about these but hadn't bothered looking for the recipe, so thanks to all those who've kept this thread bumped or I might never have tried them. :) I made my first batch today (with a bit of trepidation because I didn't like the oopsie rolls when I made them). I messed up reading the recipe and made 6 huge rolls instead of 12 small ones, Also, I hadn't folded it quite enough so the egg yolk left at the bottom of the bowl made the last 2 rather runny.

BUT, all that being said, I cut one of them in half (like a bun) and put my tuna salad on it and it was lovely to eat a sandwich again. Also, my 5 year old asked for one with cream cheese and jelly and she liked it as well. Two of my teens tried them ... one with turkey and cheese, and the other with peanut butter. They said it was just as good as the [nasty] cheap white bread they have insisted on eating. I am one HAPPY MOM!!

Thank you for a great recipe.

suziqcu
Tue, Feb-08-11, 22:28
Thanks for the variation. I just started low carbing and made the cream cheese version. Loved them! I toasted one and spread w cream cheese topped with sunnyside up egg and topped it off with smoked salmon! Now that's a sammie!!!

WereBear
Sat, Apr-16-11, 11:19
Bumping this thread; so much good information, and today I made this variation:

Jays Low Carb Croissants!

4 Egg Whites

1/4 tsp cream of tartar

3 Egg Yolks

1 Tsp Mrs Dash (original blend)

1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese

1 scoop of 365 Brand vanilla whey protein shake (from whole foods) mix with 1/4 water

1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise

Method:

1. To the egg yolks add the Mayonnaise, Mrs dash, cheddar cheese and the vanilla shake and mix until uniform.
2. To the egg whites add the cream of tartar and whisk using a mixer as shown in the video.
3. Add the egg yolk mixture to the egg whites and fold in the mixture.
4. Using a large spoon, spoon mixture out to a try lined with parchment paper.
5. Bake for 35 minutes at 300 degrees
6. Turn oven off and leave in oven for another 5 minutes.
7. Then remove croissants and place on a wire rack to cool.
8. Let cool for about 10 minutes before eating.

This mixture will make 6 large croissants, Enjoy!

1 carb each

http://www.lowcarb360.com/jays-low-carb-croissants.html

I noodled around with it: used 2 tbl parsley because I didn't have any Mrs Dash, and used a 1/4 cup of unflavored whey protein.

Also, I didn't have a muffin top pan (yet!) so I put six baking cups on the cookie sheet and filled those; worked pretty well. It was good that I had a silicone sheet on the pan, too, because there was some overflow.

I'm amazed at how good they are. I put them in the fridge; isn't there something about leaving them overnight in the fridge makes them better?

Anyway, I'm going to be doing a LOT of experimenting with this recipe now that I have a mixer that works!