PDA

View Full Version : prednisone is EVIL!!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

innovis
Tue, Jul-10-07, 18:48
these past few weeks, i have tried EVERYTHING under the sun to drop a pound, and to my utter dismay, i kept gaining weight!!! (and it has been relatively easy until recently to lose weight), so kinda thought i was just in that horrible stall place. then my daughter asked if it could be the prednisone the dr. put me on a few weeks ago for a cough that did not want to leave. :idea: :idea: :idea:

yesterday was the last day i was on it and today i woke up 9 POUNDS LIGHTER!!! in addition, i had alot of anxiety and my temper flared very easily. it was wicked awful stuff! just wanted to share this horrible experience in case someone here is taking it and struggling too.

i have decided i will never take it again unless my life is at stake! peace and blessings to all, diana

Rosebud
Tue, Jul-10-07, 19:07
Yes, it is difficult stuff to deal with. I've just finished a 3 week course of it for my asthma, and ate huge amounts in those 3 weeks. :blush: I chose not to weigh myself in that time. I know I gained, but decided not to stress myself by discovering exactly how much.
A lot of the weight is water, of course, and, like you, I am growing lighter by the day now that the course is complete.

It is quite literally a life saver for me though. Asthma is a nasty illness to deal with, and still causes way too many deaths. I'd rather put up with the prednisone than join the statistics. ;)

Roz:rose:

innovis
Tue, Jul-10-07, 19:25
roz, well asthma can certainly be a life or death matter! my dr. was just *shooting in the dark* trying something to help me get rid of a persistant cough. (and i do not think it helped one bit!!) i do hope the side effects are a trade off to better health for you. i guess i was at least lucky that it did not give me increased hunger, just increased weight:( hugs, diana

Rosebud
Tue, Jul-10-07, 19:32
That really is a shame you had to cope with the steroids for no gain, Diana. :( But you should at least find that you won't have gained any weight over all.

Steroids are notorious for causing weight gain. The combination of the inhaled steroids I take, plus intermittent prednisone, along with some other drugs (!) are the reason I got fat in the first place, and are now the reason I have difficulty losing.

I hope your weight continues to fall off! ;)

Roz

kebaldwin
Wed, Jul-11-07, 04:05
Taking prednisone is a fine line between saving your life - and killing you.

For some people - it is a miracle to give them the strength to survive until their body can recover.

Long term use will often rot your body from the inside out.

innovis - how long have you been low carbing?

I had a cronic cough and cold usually about 3 to 4 months out of the year and was diagnosed with chronic bronchitis. They told me I would have to take steroids for the rest of my life. This also caused snoring like a freight train and sleep apnea - which they had other solutions for - but I declined.

My point is - after a couple of months on almost zero carbs - it all went away. One of the first things I notice when I cheat - is my blood pressure going up and congestion building.

Some respiratory problem (ashtma, bronchitis, constant cough, etc) is one of the symptoms of pre type 2 diabetes / syndrome x / metabolic syndrome.

innovis
Wed, Jul-11-07, 07:02
"I had a cronic cough and cold usually about 3 to 4 months out of the year and was diagnosed with chronic bronchitis. They told me I would have to take steroids for the rest of my life. This also caused snoring like a freight train and sleep apnea - which they had other solutions for - but I declined.

My point is - after a couple of months on almost zero carbs - it all went away. One of the first things I notice when I cheat - is my blood pressure going up and congestion building"

how interesting! actually, it has been literally years since i have had any kind of illness at all! i started lowcarbing the beginning of april and the cough began about the same time??!

however, overall, i do feel better. i have more energy and certainly feel better emotionally. i also started working with children around this same time. so i am thinking that i am just picking up new germs that my body has not been exposed to in years. i have had a chest xray, breathing test, and blood test. nothing shows. however it seems to be SLOWLY getting better.

thank you SO MUCH for your input. i wish you well on your journey to a new and BETTER life! hugs, diana

kebaldwin
Wed, Jul-11-07, 07:28
i also started working with children around this same time. so i am thinking that i am just picking up new germs that my body has not been exposed to in years.

You have that right. Kids are nothing but germ factories. Okay I'll give them - cute and adorable germ factories :-)

maryschild
Mon, Jul-16-07, 11:42
The combination of the inhaled steroids I take, plus intermittent prednisone, along with some other drugs (!) are the reason I got fat in the first place, and are now the reason I have difficulty losing.

Roz

That is part of my story too. I used to weight a healthy 155. I was on two courses of prednisone back to back. I'm not as heavy as I was when I got off of it, but I've never been able to get below 200 since then. I am extremely upset about it. I would never have taken it if I had known then what I know now -- it's questionable how much prednisone actually helped me.