PDA

View Full Version : Carb-Cutter PR

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tamarian
Tue, Apr-03-01, 23:08
Take it with a grain of salt, but these and LC-related products are making it big in campaigns.
----------------------------
Tuesday April 3, 9:45 am Eastern Time

Press Release

Health and Nutrition Systems International, Inc. Carb Cutter Clinically Tested for Weight Loss
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla.--(BW HealthWire)--April 3, 2001--Health and Nutrition Systems International, Inc. (HNS), (OTCBB:HNNS - news) a supplier of weight management products, today announced clinical results for the low carbohydrate dietary supplement Carb Cutter(TM).

The testing took place over a six-week period and included a random double blind placebo. The controlled clinical trial indicated that both Carb Cutter(TM) and a Carb Cutter(TM)/ThinTab® combination serving increased weight loss when combined with a low carbohydrate diet and exercise. (a)

In making the announcement, HNS President Chris Tisi commented, ``The results of our clinical trial should provide both retail and consumer confidence in Carb Cutter(TM) and ThinTab®.'' Tisi also added, ``I believe these new studies should have a significant impact on consumer demand for our products.''

For those individuals taking only Carb Cutter(TM), along with a low carbohydrate diet and exercise, the average weight loss was 7.8 lbs. over six weeks. For those individuals taking the Carb Cutter(TM)/ThinTab® combo along with the same low carbohydrate and exercise program, the average weight loss was 10.2 lbs. in six weeks. In both groups, some individuals lost as much as 22 lbs. In comparison, the placebo group lost an average of 5.2 lbs. over the six-week test.

Over 28 individuals completed the trial in each of the three groups (Carb Cutter(TM), Carb Cutter(TM)/ThinTab® combo, and placebo). The drop out rate was below 50%, which for diet studies is considered excellent. This trial showed results at the upper level of physician recommended weight loss, which is the American Medical Association's set standard for maximum safe weight loss.

Subjects were interviewed and screened at the Marshall-Blum clinic in Bangor, Maine (www.marshallblum.com). James M. Blum, Ph.D. and Dr. Peter Marshall, M.D. conducted the trial. Physician support was provided by Dr. Marshall who is board certified. The clinical study was conducted by an independent scientific organization and was monitored by an IRB (institutional review board) of medical peers. Additional testing information and testimonial reports are available upon request.

About Health & Nutrition Systems, Inc.

HNS develops and markets weight management products in over 20,000 Health Food and Drug Store locations. The company's products can be found in Albertson's, Brooks (Maxi Drug), CVS, GNC, Duane Reade, Eckerd's, Giant Eagle, Giant Landover, H.E. Butt Grocery Co., Longs, Pharmor, Rite Aid, Target, Vitamin Shoppe, Vitamin World, Walgreens and Wakefern stores, as well as 4,000 independent health food stores, gyms and pharmacies. Additional information can be found on the company's website at www.hnsglobal.com.

(a) These statements have not been reviewed by the Food and Drug

Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose,

treat, cure or prevent any disease or disease condition.

All statements in this press release, other than historical facts, are forward-looking statements. These statements are based on certain assumptions and analyses made by HNS in light of its experience and its perception of historical trends, current conditions, expected future developments and other factors it believes are appropriate under the circumstances. Such statements are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties, including the following: general and economic business conditions; increased competition from other weight management product suppliers; market acceptance of both company developed and third party products sold by HNS; loss of chain store accounts; product and technology changes and availability of products from third-party suppliers.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/010403/2307.html

r.mines
Wed, Apr-04-01, 09:11
If people are already following a low-carb diet, what's the purpose of these supplements? I mean, you can't eat fewer than zero carbs a day. So OK, most of us eat between 20 and, say, 40 carbs a day - I suppose a 'carb blocker' (assuming they work) could reduce the amount of carbs absorbed, maybe to zero. But isn't that unhealthy over the long run?

Oh, well, if it works. Grain of salt it is, until I hear more.

Rachel

IslandGirl
Thu, Apr-05-01, 00:42
I've noticed a very wide range of what's seen as a "low carbohydrate" diet... generally, the view from "Out There" seems to be 100g or less of effective/digestible carbs per day is low carb. In that case, the Carb Cutter can be seen to be effective.

The way I read it, they've proven the effectiveness of low-carb in a sideways fashion, and possibly the extra efficacy of this "Thin Tab" whatever it may be composed of.

Awaiting more data.... and considering the source... sig: Jude

IslandGirl
Thu, Apr-05-01, 00:57
PS:

The last time I checked, the Carb Cutter and others of its ilk are composed of some very useful nutritional supplements over and above the "kidney bean" phaseolamin extract. These alone would be helpful to the generally nutritionally deprived populace (especially when compared to a placebo) in the metabolization of the macronutrients by the liver.

An example: Carb-Away (Canadian, Abundance Marketing) has per tablet:
Vit C 30mg plus Phaseolamin 300mg
Vit B6 5mg Guarana 200mg (caffeine source)
Chromium 100mcg Ginseng 120mg (Korean root, extract)
Licorice root 25mg
Ginger root 25mg
and the recommended dosage is 6/day or "1-2 tablets 15 minutes prior to a carbohydrate meal or snack." Good odds on thermogenetic properties and boosted liver metabolization co-nutrients even IF the kidney bean extract is ultimately toasted by the digestive enzymes in the stomach and therefore useless in preventing carb breakdown.

Fun stuff, reading these studies. Me, I'll stick with my Multi, C and B vitamin and Chromium supplements ;) for a better value!