PDA

View Full Version : Ultra LC Homemade BREAD - French Toast - Reuben Sandwiches

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ilovemykid
Tue, Jun-26-07, 12:18
Hi! Wanted to share these 3 recipes with those that are doing low carb dieting.. these have been SUCH a life saver for me in helping to keep me on plan when I'm craving things like french toast, or sandwiches! .. Oh, and pizza too!! The things you can do with this recipe is endless.. use your imagination! Hope you enjoy!!

Super LOW CARB "Egg" Bread.

This is my first and foremost favorite Low Carb recipe! Just use in place of where you'd normally use bread!

Now I don't know who invented this recipe or where it came from, I just know it exsists. So if someone knows who get's the credit, please let me know so I can post it.

Origional Recipe is something like this:
6 Egg WHITES & 1 TBSP Cream of Tarter - Mix until stiff (takes about 5-7 minutes w/ an electric mixer)

4 Egg YOLK
4 TBSP Sour Cream
(Mix together with fork)

Take your Egg YOLK mixture and fold it into the Egg WHITE mixture gently.
Plop on cookie sheet lined w/ Parchment Paper.

Bake on 350 for 30-40 minutes until nice and golden brown. Cut with a pizza cutter.

Now here is what I do instead:
I take about 9-10 egg whites and skip the cream of tarter.. I'm not sure you even need this or what difference it makes? (** update - someone told me this is needed to make a more "puffy" bread.. so if you have it - use it!.. I'll have to try it out)

I take 2 egg yolk instead of 4 and I use 2 TBSP FAT FREE Sour Cream instead of 4 regular. Then, I make it just the same as above. This just eliminates 2 yolk and 2 tbsp's of sour cream. I can eat more of the bread without the guilt.. and trust me, I usually chow down on this stuff. It's DELICIOUS!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are a few things I make to eat out of this bread that you might like to try:

I spent the last 9 months or more CRAVING FRENCH TOAST and going out of my mind! When I found this secret out, I celebrated like you wouldn't believe!

Low Carb Friendly French Toast:

2 slices (or more.. depending how how hungry you are) of the "egg bread" .. (above)

Dip your 2 slices of egg bread in a beat up egg white (you could add a drop of vanilla if you want, but somewhere I read there are carbs in it??).. Grill up like you would regular french toast. Once done on each side, remove & sprinkle w/ cinnamon and splenda and top with 1-2 tbsp Walden Farms Syrup! YUMMO! Eating this kills all my cravings for sweets.. even ice cream! It really tastes like your eating French Toast, well.. enough to pass for it anyhow. It's delicious!

Walden Farms (Pancake) Syrup has 0 carbs, 0 fat, 0 cal and WOW is it YUMMY! To me, it tastes like HEAVEN! I wouldn't go overboard on the amount you use as I'm sure somewhere in there are hidden carbs. Just use enough to get the job done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reuben Sandwiches:

I used the egg bread someone has posted in the "egg recipe thread".. if you haven't tried this, it's totally worth it. It's not ULTRA DELICIOUS, but hey.. anything that resembles bread is GOLD to me right about now! I've been eating it like crazy.. (French Toast, sandwiches, .. you name it, I've made it with that stuff.. it's wonderful as far as I'm concerned..)

Ok, anyhow..
I take 2 slices of the egg bread to start.
2 slices of Turkey Deli meat (you could probably use something else, but this is what I had on hand.. and it's low in fat and cals and tastes just as good).
1/4 to 1/2 cup sauerkraut.
1 slice ff cheese (optional - up to you if you want to add the cals/fat/carbs or not - it tastes great either way.)
1-2 tbsp Walden Farm's Thousand Island Dressing (0 carbs, 0 fat, 0 cal)

Anyhow, I just take the meat and sauerkraut and fry them up in a pan till they are a little brown then remove or move over depending on how large your pan is. (I don't use any cooking spray because the moisture from the sauerkraut and meat tend to do the trick)

Take your bread, and you can either brown them up like you would a grilled cheese (you can use Pam cooking spray if you need to) and layer your 2 tbsp Thousand Island Dressing on the inside of 1 slice.. add the sauerkraut/meat and cheese over top of that and cover with the other slice.. Flip and wait until cheese melts a bit and remove. Something else that I found that gave it a nice flavor is .. I used a few spritz's of the "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" pray on both sides of the sandwich. OR you could just put everything together and stick it in the broiler for a few seconds. I've tried it both ways and they work just as good as each other.

I think the sauerkraut said there was 1 carb per 1/4 cup serving.. I'm not sure about the egg bread, but I think there isn't much at all. It's basically made out of egg whites, a few yolk, and a few tbsp ff sour cream per batch. The meat has no carbs - 50 calories per 2 slices. And the Thousand Island Dressing is 0 carbs if you don't go over board with it.

Samantha22
Tue, Jun-26-07, 14:55
Thanks for sharing :)

mustdoit
Thu, Jun-28-07, 12:58
Hi April
Thanks for the recipes.. I tried the egg bread and I don't think I made it right.. I put it in a pan and it was nice and fluffy but when I took it out of the oven it was flat about the height of a quarter.. Flat and chewy.. :lol: Can you tell me how it is suppose to look and taste.. a pic would be great?? I am a terrible cook and I have no imagination, but I will try again.. after I hear from you.. Thanks Sandi

steveed
Tue, Feb-03-09, 00:35
Mixing the egg whites separately gives the batter lots of air bubbles. The tartar strengthens the egg whites by preventing them from releasing their "water". Essentially you're making a souffle, and sometimes if you don't fold the two mixtures together gently until JUST combined (this keeps the bubbles in the batter while baking, giving your baked treat height and lightness) you get a flat souffle or in this case flat "bread".

Practice makes perfect!

shopjunkie
Mon, Jun-29-09, 09:36
I'm going to try this today to make "buns" for cheeseburgers! Yum! :thup:

Thump
Sat, Jan-14-12, 04:22
Hi, this sounds great. Do you know if it can be frozen though? My main problem is that I'm super lazy and tend to just reach for convenient stuff, especially in the morning so I was thinking cooking a big batch once a month and then have the frozen slices ready to go whenever.