PDA

View Full Version : Gut Casing

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bsheets
Mon, Jun-25-07, 20:15
Hi all,

I didn't quite know where to post this so I apologise if it needs to be moved...

I was talking to someone the other day about the body and how even tho I've lost nearly 55lbs, my gut still sticks out - and feels hard under the fat. Like even if I lose all the fat on top it'll still stick out.

She mentioned seeing a docu not too long ago about the casing around one's gut (to keep the innards inside) being fairly transparant on a thin person and all fatty on a fatter person. I'm thinking maybe this is why I have a hard pot belly!

I would like to look up info on how to change this if this is the case for me, but I don't know the name for this "organ" so I've been totally unsuccessful so far hehehe.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!!
e

Rosebud
Mon, Jun-25-07, 20:55
Hi all,

I didn't quite know where to post this so I apologise if it needs to be moved...

I was talking to someone the other day about the body and how even tho I've lost nearly 55lbs, my gut still sticks out - and feels hard under the fat. Like even if I lose all the fat on top it'll still stick out.

She mentioned seeing a docu not too long ago about the casing around one's gut (to keep the innards inside) being fairly transparant on a thin person and all fatty on a fatter person. I'm thinking maybe this is why I have a hard pot belly!

I would like to look up info on how to change this if this is the case for me, but I don't know the name for this "organ" so I've been totally unsuccessful so far hehehe.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!!
e
Hi Erika, you must mean the peritoneum. The actual abdominal cavity is also referred to as the peritonuem, but it is actually the membrane that surrounds and covers all the bits and pieces in our bellies. I haven't heard of it being fatty or not, but I guess it is possible. :)

Cheers,

Roz

kebaldwin
Tue, Jun-26-07, 07:03
Mine is muscle - could that be it?

AceofCarbs
Tue, Jun-26-07, 08:07
i was thinking muscle too...

Nancy LC
Tue, Jun-26-07, 11:27
One symptom of food intolerance is a protruding gut. My belly flattened out a lot when I cut out grains and dairy.

cs_carver
Thu, Jun-28-07, 09:29
Another possible approach would be to look into myofascial work, like Rolfing, or Structural Alignment, or similar approaches. I'm not at all sure that they would be directly related to your condition, but it also sounds like you're out in figure-it-out-yourself-land, in which case, any idea might click.

You might try googling Devin Starlanyl and read some of the stuff she has on the web. It's not at all directly related to your question but it is a LOT about myofascia and what problems with that tissue can do to the rest of your life, and it might make some connections for you.

I don't necessarily recommend her book unless you know or think you actually have fibromyalgia; I have a version of CMP and I didn't need to read everything in her book (Claire Davies was more useful for me). Good luck.

bsheets
Sun, Jul-08-07, 03:51
One symptom of food intolerance is a protruding gut. My belly flattened out a lot when I cut out grains and dairy.
I got concerned about that too so had myself tested for Coeliacs but I'm negative (thank goodness!).

Googling all those terms you guys suggested. Thanks!

e

Nancy LC
Sun, Jul-08-07, 10:20
I got concerned about that too so had myself tested for Coeliacs but I'm negative (thank goodness!).

Googling all those terms you guys suggested. Thanks!

e
The testing for celiacs doesn't test you for gluten intolerance. I got tested by Enterolab.com for gluten and casein (dairy) and I'm intolerant to both. The other test is simply going GF and seeing if things get better. I did first that and my chronic IBS cleared up, my arthritis got a little better and my brain fog and memory issues cleared up (over time). Then about 5 months after that I gave up casein and got another health boost.

Also... I'm presuming you had the celiac blood panel? Unless you have total villi atrophy, 30% of those who have celiac disease will have a false negative blood test, unless they have total villi atrophy (which is very severe). So they really can't rule it out unless you have an endoscopy. And, even if they do rule it out, you could still have it because the damage is patchy and they often miss it. And... even if that isn't it, you could still have gluten sensitivity. Its a complex diagnosis for a lot of people.

I think the testing done most often is nearly worthless except in some cases.

bsheets
Sun, Jul-15-07, 06:03
OK I'll admit it, I'm a procrastinator lol. Anyways, I'm booked in to see my naturopath on Tues where she'll test me for food intolerances. It sounds like a very complex testing procedure. I hope it's worth it! It doesn't sound good that the caeliacs test I had done (a pin prick to the finger) will most likely give me a negative reading regardless of my tolerance. Why do they still use it if that's the case??

Thanks again for the tip, I think you may be right.

e

Nancy LC
Sun, Jul-15-07, 09:21
You can't test for celiac disease by pricking your finger with a pin. This doctor sounds a bit whacky.

pmezak
Sun, Jul-15-07, 21:09
I think it's the Omentum. It was talked about on an Oprah show
with Dr. Oz. It's also talked about in the Godess Diet book.
But if it isn't the omentum causing your problem, it could be something like fibroids, they can be hard also.........

bsheets
Mon, Jul-16-07, 02:25
Hmmm I mentioned that it was done by a pin prick to the finger for just that reason - sounds very simple for something that seems to be hard to diagnose. So what test did I get then? That's what she said it was for....

I think it's the Omentum. It was talked about on an Oprah show with Dr. Oz. It's also talked about in the Godess Diet book.
But if it isn't the omentum causing your problem, it could be something like fibroids, they can be hard also.........
Omentum? Fibroids? .... back to altavista for me I think hehehe

e

bsheets
Mon, Jul-16-07, 02:59
Oooooo not too good, all the results were headed by Ovarian Cancer. I found this about Fibroids:

Symptoms
In many cases, fibroids are asymptomatic. Symptoms may include:

Heavy periods
Lengthy periods
Period pain
Spotting between periods
Painful intercourse
A sensation of heaviness or pressure in the back, bowel and bladder
Frequent urination
A lump or swelling in the lower abdomen.
I don't have any of these symptoms - to the point where I actually don't get a period at all (the reason I started seeing my naturopath in the first place). And about Omentum:

Omentum: A sheet of fat that is covered by peritoneum. The greater omentum is attached to the bottom edge of the stomach, and hangs down in front of the intestines. Its other edge is attached to the transverse colon. The lesser omentum is attached to the top edge of the stomach, and extends to the undersurface of the liver.
I hope there's nothing wrong with this organ! It really expands though - I did a little experiment on myself today considering it was expanded most of yesterday. Seems it happens soon after having coffee. Not any other kind of caffeine, just coffee. So the point where it uncomfortably presses on my shirt buttons, my pants and I instinctively suck my tummy in when I walk as the skin feels pressured and stretched otherwise.

Well, Tues is tomorrow. I'll see what my "whacky" naturopath has to say ;)

e