PDA

View Full Version : Anyone travel a lot? What foods do you bring?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

westcoast
Thu, Jun-21-07, 17:45
I travel for work and get tired of bringing my same old thing. What do you bring when you are traveling?

pennink
Thu, Jun-21-07, 18:11
What type of travelling? Airplane? In a truck? Or your own car?

And what are you eating now?

westcoast
Thu, Jun-21-07, 18:14
i'm a flight attendant so three day trip with just my small cooler. I bring as many chicken breasts (cooked) as I can keep cold, I bring raw veggies to cook in the oven, cans of tuna and other no-salt canned veggies to throw in my bag , but those get heavy. That's it.

pennink
Thu, Jun-21-07, 18:20
Can you make yourself some revolution rolls and use them to make sandwiches out of food that is available? Or take your own sandwiches of anything 'legal.'

You can also make some soups with low carb ingredients in a microwavable container. Or some of the great casseroles in the recipe section (eggplant lasagna, tuna casserole, etc)

I don't travel often, but I'm happy on airplanes to just eat around the carbs... oh, except on Air France... oh the baguettes... that was HARD!

scootsgirl
Thu, Jun-21-07, 23:15
I have to travel every week for work...it's tough....but, I survive on jerky, and nuts......

tmatrocks
Thu, Jun-21-07, 23:43
meat treats
hb eggs
cheese
nuts
water
iced tea

Great thing about traveling is buying local foods wherever you are.

WH1968
Fri, Jun-22-07, 08:05
Well I'm not a flight attendant but I do travel far for work.. it's 2.5 miles. So I'm away from home a lot.

Everyday I take a cooler with all my food for the day. I make things mostly that can be eaten cold.

I cook up chicken breasts on the grill on Sundays and then cut them in half.

I have one of them each day in between two revolution rolls and cheese. I usually eat it cold and it fills me up. It's a great grab for on the go.

I also bring flax muffins on every trip I take. They are a regular staple. And they feel me up easily.

Breakfast is my hardest one. For some trips I take hard boiled eggs.. but they tend to smell when you open them in small spaces.

Lately I've been making the "3 minute flax bread" and then putting a fried egg with cheese on the bread. If I can, I microwave the egg.. otherwise it is good cold.

One of my biggest pittfalls was just eating the standard low carb junk stuff because it was quick to grab.. not that any of them are bad for you.. but when that's all that you eat it was causing me problems... like... sunflower seeds, nuts, cubed cheese, beef jerkey... etc.

They are great grabs for once in awhile but not for daily consumption. Oh and I did my Pork Rinds for the first two times on Atkins.. now I just can't bring myself to them.

T-man

Helen H
Fri, Jun-22-07, 14:26
I nearly always carry a couple of pouches of dressed tuna. It looks like cat food, but it tastes fine, particularly if you put it on top of a green salad. I usually carry a tin of sardines as well.

I don't like carrying anything which needs a cooler, so I stick to nuts and beef jerky and biltong.

If I'm visiting my parents, I bring broccoli. They never seem to have any decent vegetables.

If I'm going abroad for a few days, I bring a couple of packets of GG Scandanavian bran crackers for breakfast.