PDA

View Full Version : How did you decide what you wanted to weigh?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bsp621
Tue, Jun-19-07, 16:55
Just a curious question. I know for me when I went to my 6week pp checkup I weighed 198(in Jan). I was so depressed. I decided I wanted to get down to 145 and without dieting just being more active I got down to 176(ish)(in early May) and stayed there for a little over a month. I started this diet friday and decided hey why settle for 145(about the highest weight I can be and be considered "normal" on bmi charts), I want to weigh 135 and not feel like I am a lb away from overweight. Well theres my story, sorry it was so long, I can be longwinded.
It is my first time posting in this area of the forums. So hey everyone! :wave:

Terry-24
Tue, Jun-19-07, 17:10
I'm combining the BMI "healthy" range average for my height with the American Council on Exercise's body fat percentage for "fitness" for my age:

BMI = 18.5 to 24.9 ; for 5'3.5"=> 106 to 143 lbs; American Council on Exercise uses b.f.%: Fitness level = 21-24%.

This gives me wiggle room and makes me pay attention to body fat, not just weight.

Cheers--
Terry-24

ElleH
Tue, Jun-19-07, 17:29
I first chose 150 pounds, b/c it's where I always thought I was so fat when I was younger...just thinking that if I could get back there, I'd be happy to not be 178 pounds and a size 16. I was so down-in-the-dumps about my weight, I couldn't even imagine losing 5 pounds, much less 28. 150 was also just on the cusp of the healthy BMI for my height.

Of course, when I got there, pretty effortlessly, too, I wasn't happy with 150. I was still losing 1-3 pounds a week, so I just decided to keep doing what I was doing and see where it stopped. I seem to have landed here at 141ish. Which isn't bad, really.

I'm not willing to eat less of anything or exercise more, so I guess this is it for me...even though I really REALLY wish I could get to about 135, which was my "good adult weight" that Dr A talks about in his books.

relliott1
Tue, Jun-19-07, 17:46
My original goal weight was 135, but, like Elle, my body just sort of stopped losing when I hit 140. I really didn't want to restrict my diet any further or add in a more strenuous exercise regimen, and 140 is pretty decent for my height/age, so I decided to call it goal. I firmly believe in listening to what my body is telling me!

jande2211
Tue, Jun-19-07, 18:16
Used the BMI charts but will decide if/when I get there. If I stop and stay, say, where I am now I'll be fine because I can do things I want to do. If I reach goal and still need to lose more, then I'll decide from there but I doubt I'll need to. I certainly didn't want to guess "too low" but I certainly didn't want to set to high and therefore seem to be quitting before I started, if that makes sense.

kallyn
Tue, Jun-19-07, 19:12
I took my weight in high school (I was like 123 or something) and adjusted it upwards a few lbs to account for not being a teenager anymore and having a more womanly body.

rachelratz
Tue, Jun-19-07, 19:23
I wanted my old weight/size back. Most of my life I have been thin. My weight was 109lbs before I got heavy. Just went back to it. Everyone has a natural "settle" point in their body. Mine was that. I've stayed that weight ever since.

amberview
Tue, Jun-19-07, 19:32
I liked the way I looked and felt at 135, years and years ago. 125 generally makes me look too skinny. If I get to there I'll try to gain back to 130 and hopefully figure out my maint. carbs.

arc
Wed, Jun-20-07, 07:14
I personally think that body fat percentage should be the goal and not a weight that is picked out of the air. The goal is to lose fat not "weight", which could include lean tissue. Loss of lean tissue leads to a lower metabolism, which makes it harder to keep the fat off.

This page explains it pretty well, I think:

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/bodyfat.htm

Mousesmom
Wed, Jun-20-07, 07:47
I picked my goal pretty much out of thin air... LOL... I decided that 100# overall loss was attainable - or at least a round number (round like I was....). When I get there I will reassess and decide if I'm "there". For me, it's about how I feel and how I look now, more than a number on some scale.

Good luck, Julie

ValerieL
Wed, Jun-20-07, 08:00
My goal weight is the top end of the BMI scale. It's a lot less ambitious a goal than a lot of other people, but I've been obese for my entire life just about. For me, being normal weight is like a miracle.

If find it amusing to see the range of goal weights actually. When converted to BMI, we have goal weights on this thread alone ranging from 19.1 to 24.9. All within the range of normal, but what's acceptable to one is fat (or too skinny) to another.

cherryred
Wed, Jun-20-07, 08:19
I chose 165 according to the BMI chart, I am 5'8". I may tweak it when I get closer but it is easy for me to hide 20 pds or so and I don't want to be too thin. I am shooting for a dress size more than a certain weight. Being that we gain muscle, I know I can look smaller at a higher weight. I'll stop when I hit size 10...or maybe size 8...

2006shanna
Wed, Jun-20-07, 08:19
Wow, a lot of people on this thread have had a lot of success.

I chose my goal as the weight I was pre-pregnancy, before gaining the weight. But once I got there, my clothes still didn't fit so I had to keep loosing. I struggled with chosong a goal weight as well, and changed it I think 3 times since Jan (to lower) My body had changed, so instead of weight I focused on a goal size. Basically, I think you won't really know until you get there. I'm at my goal weight because like the others before me, I am maintaining here, and don't want to do the work to eat less and/ or exercise more. Plus, my clothes fit again!

ruthla
Wed, Jun-20-07, 08:45
I know darn well, from personal experience, that both the BMI range and the "healthy weight chart" aren't accurate for my particular body type. Between my bone structure and my breast size, I simply weigh more for my height than "average."

I chose my goal weight based on my past; what I weighed when I was at a healthy weight for me in the past. Before my first wedding, I weight 128 lbs and wore a size 14 on top and a 12 on the bottom. My ribs were sticking out and I felt that I was slightly underweight. But to wear a size 12/14 at 5'2" tall, with ribs sticking out, shows you that I really do have a large bone structure!

I know that I was healthiest and looked best when I weighed between 132 and 135 lbs. Then I added 5 lbs to that number just to be realistic; I don't want to stress myself out over "the last 5 lbs." I haven't weighed under 165 since having kids, and I was very healthy and barely chubby when I weighed 140 lbs in college.

cherryred
Wed, Jun-20-07, 09:03
Ruthla, That is an excellent point! We are all so different and those charts aren't gospel for me either. I think we should just aim for that weight, size where we feel good and look good to ourselves, not for anyone else or to fit some standard.

Aeryn
Wed, Jun-20-07, 09:19
In my teens, I got to 155 by starving, and never dropped below it. Now that I'm approaching that same weight on 1800 - 2000 calories a day, I'm feeling unbearably smug about how much my body must love me for choosing to do it the right way. :D Anyway, my goal number is really just a theory -- the theory that (slowly if not steadily!) I might be able to drop to 145 by staying on Atkins. But I suspect it's going to be excruciatingly slow-going from here on out, so I keep telling myself that rather than fixating on the goal, I should fixate on staying on Atkins. My current weight has led me into territories I haven't charted for ten years, so who knows how I'd look or feel at 145?

In fact, I suspect the real challenge will begin if and when I meet my goal. I'll be so shocked I won't know what to do with myself! LOL!

jschwab
Wed, Jun-20-07, 09:49
I chose my lowest adult weight and the weight I graduated from high school at. I figure at that weight I will have to significantly retool my diet to lose more (or my head). At that weight I will be significantly overweight (204 pounds). But I have been thinner and in worse shape physically and much heavier and in much better shape physically. For that reason, I do not think about "healthy weight" because weight has had little bearing on my measurable health. I focus on thinness instead.

Janine

KvonM
Wed, Jun-20-07, 10:25
I know darn well, from personal experience, that both the BMI range and the "healthy weight chart" aren't accurate for my particular body type. Between my bone structure and my breast size, I simply weigh more for my height than "average."
i'm exactly the same way... at 5'2" with a large frame and a LOT of muscle, i'd look and feel horrible if i tried to get down to what the BMI charts say i "should" be. they also don't take into account things like excess leftover skin from pregnancy or previous weight loss/gain cycles. and i refuse to fit myself into a biased mold just because some chart says i'm supposed to.

the last time around, i went from 222 to 158 at my lowest (i gained back a bit and settled around 162), with a goal of 143. i didn't worry too much about not getting down to my goal weight because i was fitting into a size 10/12, and i was absolutely happy with that. this time around, i picked 165 because i'd gotten there once before, but i'll honestly be fine if i'm at 170 or so. that's about where i was when i met my fiance, and that puts me into about a size 14, taking into account my twin-pregnancy leftovers.

though at this point i'd be bouncing off the walls to see onederland again!

arc
Wed, Jun-20-07, 10:38
The BMI is a joke, since it doesn't take body composition into account. That is why I suggested going with BF %.

bsp621
Wed, Jun-20-07, 18:59
Terry
Thanks for your reply :)

bsp621
Wed, Jun-20-07, 19:04
Thanks for your reply. Its great you ended up below your goal. I dont know what I'll end up at but I am sure my "goal" will probably change with my end result. :)

bsp621
Wed, Jun-20-07, 19:05
Good for you for losing weight, who cares if you didnt hit your first goal. Sometimes the body is smarter than the mind :)

bsp621
Wed, Jun-20-07, 19:06
Hopefully eventually I will be in the same boat you are!

bsp621
Wed, Jun-20-07, 19:08
I took my weight in high school (I was like 123 or something) and adjusted it upwards a few lbs to account for not being a teenager anymore and having a more womanly body.
Thats kind of what i did but I subracted about 5 lbs :)

bsp621
Wed, Jun-20-07, 19:10
I wanted my old weight/size back. Most of my life I have been thin. My weight was 109lbs before I got heavy. Just went back to it. Everyone has a natural "settle" point in their body. Mine was that. I've stayed that weight ever since.
My mom used to be about as small as you. I have told her what I have been doing and she seemed interested. Its awesome you got down to what you really wanted to be.

bsp621
Wed, Jun-20-07, 19:11
I liked the way I looked and felt at 135, years and years ago. 125 generally makes me look too skinny. If I get to there I'll try to gain back to 130 and hopefully figure out my maint. carbs.
Even though I am a 2 inches shorter than you I dont think i'd look great at 125 either. I got there once and didnt look "great". :)

bsp621
Wed, Jun-20-07, 19:13
thanks for the link, It was a good link :) I agree it shouldnt be picked out of thin air for no reason. I picked something I would like to be and have been before. I really just want to feel compfortable in my own skin though.

bsp621
Wed, Jun-20-07, 19:14
good for you! congrats on the weight loss. :)

bsp621
Wed, Jun-20-07, 19:15
My goal weight is the top end of the BMI scale. It's a lot less ambitious a goal than a lot of other people, but I've been obese for my entire life just about. For me, being normal weight is like a miracle.

If find it amusing to see the range of goal weights actually. When converted to BMI, we have goal weights on this thread alone ranging from 19.1 to 24.9. All within the range of normal, but what's acceptable to one is fat (or too skinny) to another.
hey your improving yourself. Who cares what end its at. :)

bsp621
Wed, Jun-20-07, 19:16
I chose 165 according to the BMI chart, I am 5'8". I may tweak it when I get closer but it is easy for me to hide 20 pds or so and I don't want to be too thin. I am shooting for a dress size more than a certain weight. Being that we gain muscle, I know I can look smaller at a higher weight. I'll stop when I hit size 10...or maybe size 8...
I do want to be a certain size more than weight too. I want to be a 9 compfortably. even if I weigh more than I have as my goal weight on here.

bsp621
Wed, Jun-20-07, 19:17
Wow, a lot of people on this thread have had a lot of success.

I chose my goal as the weight I was pre-pregnancy, before gaining the weight. But once I got there, my clothes still didn't fit so I had to keep loosing. I struggled with chosong a goal weight as well, and changed it I think 3 times since Jan (to lower) My body had changed, so instead of weight I focused on a goal size. Basically, I think you won't really know until you get there. I'm at my goal weight because like the others before me, I am maintaining here, and don't want to do the work to eat less and/ or exercise more. Plus, my clothes fit again!
Its awesome when clothes fit again. Great for you :)

bsp621
Wed, Jun-20-07, 19:18

I chose my goal weight based on my past; what I weighed when I was at a healthy weight for me in the past. Before my first wedding, I weight 128 lbs and wore a size 14 on top and a 12 on the bottom. My ribs were sticking out and I felt that I was slightly underweight. But to wear a size 12/14 at 5'2" tall, with ribs sticking out, shows you that I really do have a large bone structure!

I know that I was healthiest and looked best when I weighed between 132 and 135 lbs. Then I added 5 lbs to that number just to be realistic; I don't want to stress myself out over "the last 5 lbs." I haven't weighed under 165 since having kids, and I was very healthy and barely chubby when I weighed 140 lbs in college.
Yeah the bmi isnt perfect by anymeans. I used it more as a guideline rather than a rule. The best thing to be is happy with who you are.

bsp621
Wed, Jun-20-07, 19:19
Ruthla, That is an excellent point! We are all so different and those charts aren't gospel for me either. I think we should just aim for that weight, size where we feel good and look good to ourselves, not for anyone else or to fit some standard.
I agree! bmi has depressed me many times. lol.

bsp621
Wed, Jun-20-07, 19:20
In my teens, I got to 155 by starving, and never dropped below it. Now that I'm approaching that same weight on 1800 - 2000 calories a day, I'm feeling unbearably smug about how much my body must love me for choosing to do it the right way. :D Anyway, my goal number is really just a theory -- the theory that (slowly if not steadily!) I might be able to drop to 145 by staying on Atkins. But I suspect it's going to be excruciatingly slow-going from here on out, so I keep telling myself that rather than fixating on the goal, I should fixate on staying on Atkins. My current weight has led me into territories I haven't charted for ten years, so who knows how I'd look or feel at 145?

In fact, I suspect the real challenge will begin if and when I meet my goal. I'll be so shocked I won't know what to do with myself! LOL!
lol. I cant wait to meet my goal either. the shock will be great. cal counting never worked for me! good for you.

bsp621
Wed, Jun-20-07, 19:21
I chose my lowest adult weight and the weight I graduated from high school at. I figure at that weight I will have to significantly retool my diet to lose more (or my head). At that weight I will be significantly overweight (204 pounds). But I have been thinner and in worse shape physically and much heavier and in much better shape physically. For that reason, I do not think about "healthy weight" because weight has had little bearing on my measurable health. I focus on thinness instead.

Janine
Whatever makes a person happy is what they should do :) Good for you!

bsp621
Wed, Jun-20-07, 19:22
i'm exactly the same way... at 5'2" with a large frame and a LOT of muscle, i'd look and feel horrible if i tried to get down to what the BMI charts say i "should" be. they also don't take into account things like excess leftover skin from pregnancy or previous weight loss/gain cycles. and i refuse to fit myself into a biased mold just because some chart says i'm supposed to.

the last time around, i went from 222 to 158 at my lowest (i gained back a bit and settled around 162), with a goal of 143. i didn't worry too much about not getting down to my goal weight because i was fitting into a size 10/12, and i was absolutely happy with that. this time around, i picked 165 because i'd gotten there once before, but i'll honestly be fine if i'm at 170 or so. that's about where i was when i met my fiance, and that puts me into about a size 14, taking into account my twin-pregnancy leftovers.

though at this point i'd be bouncing off the walls to see onederland again!
I hope you get the goal you want :)!

bsp621
Wed, Jun-20-07, 19:22
The BMI is a joke, since it doesn't take body composition into account. That is why I suggested going with BF %.
Yeah I think it can be very wrong for many people. :)

amberview
Wed, Jun-20-07, 19:33
I'd like to have 20% body fat as well as my goal weight. It might not get their perfectly but that is ok.

DrH
Wed, Jun-20-07, 19:39
Interesting, I was the exact opposite. When I hit goal, all of my clothes were falling off of me (I used to wear size 6 at 120 prior to my thyroid dying and gaining all of the weight). I guess I was a much leaner 120 as I needed size 2 or 4 after Atkins and the weight just continued to come off. JillWow, a lot of people on this thread have had a lot of success.

I chose my goal as the weight I was pre-pregnancy, before gaining the weight. But once I got there, my clothes still didn't fit so I had to keep loosing.