PDA

View Full Version : Birth Control and Atkins

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Kathleen77
Fri, Jun-15-07, 15:24
I know in the book BC is not recommended, but I get ovarian cysts and BC is the only thing that prevents the very painful rupturing which occurs upon ovulation.

Anyone here on BC and Atkins or other LC plan? The last time I did Atkins, I wasn't on BC yet. I'm on Yaz, which didn't cause any weight gain when I started it, mainly (I think) because it has a diuretic in it (I know, drink more water, trust me, I am!).

LoveMyGSDs
Sat, Jun-16-07, 08:35
I lost 90 lbs in 7 months on Atkins, while on birth control. It may be an individual thing, but I've never had any problems.

cnmLisa
Sun, Jun-17-07, 11:03
I know in the book BC is not recommended,

If I remember correctly I don't think Dr. Atkins ever not recommended birth control. I think what he said was that in some individuals, oral hormones (contraceptives or hormone replacement) may slow weight loss.

If you need oral contraceptive pills to control your ovarian cysts, you need to look at your alternatives---painful ovarian cysts and/or pregnancy or a slower weightloss.

It will probably be a YMMV. You can try and counter slower weight loss by making sure you are exercising--both weight training and cardio--if you are able.

Good luck.

PS--if you are taking YAZ, make sure that your electrolytes stay balanced--YAZ contains a mineralcorticoid (that acts as a diuretic). Especially on induction when you lose a large amount of water weight, you don't want to bottom out your electrolytes.

jschwab
Mon, Jun-18-07, 09:25
Seasonale is my weight loss pill. I had problems in the past with BCP's and depression and bloating, but PMS and the cysts were worse, so as soon as I had my postpartum cyst burst, I went on it. It has help immensely and fixed my carb cravings, too. The only thing is I still have a little pain -- I think I am actually still ovulating and getting cysts. Time will tell. But, in general, it has been great and very helpful for weight loss.

Janine

ruthla
Tue, Jun-19-07, 06:23
Well, you're not losing any weight being on BC and not being on Atkins, right? So, if you go on Atkins (or another LC plan) along with the BC, you'll probably lose weight.

The worst that could happen is that you may not lose weight as fast as some other people have. Come to think of it, that could happen whether you're on BC pills or not!

Once the weight is off, and you don't have all that extra fat creating more estrogen in your system, you can experiment with getting off the meds if you want to. But until then I'd recomend staying on the pills to keep your body in balance.

Kathleen77
Tue, Jun-19-07, 08:14
Once the weight is off, and you don't have all that extra fat creating more estrogen in your system, you can experiment with getting off the meds if you want to. But until then I'd recomend staying on the pills to keep your body in balance.

Actually, I'm on it because of ovarian cysts, and I initially developed ovarian cysts (not PCOS, but the kind that involves one or two big cysts per ovary) when I was at my lowest weight a couple years ago, after being on Atkins a year! There may be no correlation between the weight loss and the cysts, but I remember that when the cramping and pain started, I figured it was the sugar-alcohol candy I had indulged with... until the pain became WAY more severe than anything the low carb chocolate had ever dealt me!

But if the BC keeps the cysts at bay, it's worth the clower weight loss.

jschwab
Tue, Jun-19-07, 08:35
Actually, I'm on it because of ovarian cysts, and I initially developed ovarian cysts (not PCOS, but the kind that involves one or two big cysts per ovary) when I was at my lowest weight a couple years ago, after being on Atkins a year! There may be no correlation between the weight loss and the cysts, but I remember that when the cramping and pain started, I figured it was the sugar-alcohol candy I had indulged with... until the pain became WAY more severe than anything the low carb chocolate had ever dealt me!

But if the BC keeps the cysts at bay, it's worth the clower weight loss.

When my first cyst burst, I thought it was because of a bag of spicy potato chips I'd eaten. It is by far the most painful experiences I've ever had (and I have had three kids).

Janine

rdy2rde
Tue, Jun-19-07, 14:37
I lost 80 pounds on Atkins while taking BC three years ago. So far since Jan 2 of this year I have lost 40 pounds on Atkins and BC. I agree, I think this is one of the YMMV things. I take YAZ also...didn't know it had a diuretic in it...thanks

Lisa

cs_carver
Wed, Jun-20-07, 05:51
I know in the book BC is not recommended

Had to read this twice--BC, the generic term, is very much NOT not recommended. Nothing puts a ding in weight loss like pregnancy. IUDs and condoms are pretty much weight-independent; diaphragms should be refitted ideally with every 10# loss (check with your gyn on this). BC pills, on the other hand, need to to be used carefully. Depo is a whole 'nother thread.

However, there are always a lot of variables and we have to get through our day, month, whatever. Some medications are simply steady-state conditions that have to be accomodated. They may slow weight loss compared to someone who doesn't take them, but so what? It's not a race.