PDA

View Full Version : Cream cheese pancake - sweet induction breakfast

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Tama
Tue, Feb-12-02, 18:28
Okay, I found this on another LC forum. I don't know if it has been posted previously here. I haven't seen it in here and I thought it would be a shame for you guys not to see it - it is pretty yummy!!

Sweet induction breakfast

1 egg
1 oz. cr. cheese
1 T. butter
1/2 t. vanilla
2 packets Equal

Melt butter in skillet. Beat egg and 1 packet Equal. Pour into skillet and let cook - do not stir. Meanwhile, stir cr. cheese, vanilla, and remaining Equal together. When egg looks done, spread cheese mixture over it, allowing it to melt a bit. Take a spatula and, starting on one side, roll up the egg, crepe style, and remove from pan. Enjoy!

3g. carbs per serving. I can't remember the rest of the stats for this one, sorry!

KarenB
Sun, Feb-17-02, 08:24
Wow, Tama--thanks! This sounds *very* similar to the Mock Danish Nat posted some time back. The proportions are different but the gist is pretty similar. (I'm not hooked on the MD as some folks seem to be, but it *is* tasty. I'll give this a shot sometime soon.)

weakarms
Tue, Feb-26-02, 09:45
Just wanted to let you know this is fabulous! This is only my second day on induction, but this was great for the sweet tooth. Thanks for the post!! :D

jabs72
Wed, Feb-27-02, 12:39
oh my gosh..this is so easy and yummy

dawn33
Thu, Jul-04-02, 23:02
I tried this today for the first time...it's easy as can be. One thing though...I didnt have any vanilla, so I substituted with a bit of maple extract. WOWEE it tasted so much like french toast. I really felt like I was cheating. This one will get used again for sure
Dawn

Isabel
Thu, Aug-15-02, 16:49
after 3 & 1/2 weeks of induction, this was my first splenda try. I had no vanilla so dashed a bit of cinnamon. Yum. I bought vanilla today so I can do it again tomorrow. I was surprised how pleasantly sweet it tasted.

Thanks for the post.

vess
Mon, Aug-19-02, 04:56
What exactly is Equal and what does it taste like? I live in UK and I am not sure they sell it here (maybe they do not sure). If I can't find it in the shops is there any replacement I can use?

Isabel
Mon, Aug-19-02, 08:44
Equal is a commercial brand name of an artificial sweetener. There are, of course, several different kinds of artificial sweetener. I think Equal might be aspartame, which Dr. Atkins and many on this forum don't like because for some people it interferes with their metabolism in a way which is contrary to the diet's preferences.

I am sure you can find artificial sweeteners in the UK. Read the labels to see which brands are which sweeteners.

Atkins likes Splenda (so do I). I list the ingredients in Splenda off the box for you: destrose, maltodextrin, sucralose. Some of the packaging on Splenda products proclaim that Splenda is derived from actual sugar. I am not a food scientist so I don't know what difference that makes!

Look at the labels and find an artificial sweetener with those ingredients!

Diet soft drinks, here in the states, are virtually all made with aspartame. You will find debates on this forum about diet soft drinks because of the aspartame.

The aspartame doesn't seem to mess me up.

NOW another artificial sweetener is sacharin, which was banned in the states 20+ years ago. I have read that it is widely in use in Europe and I have been advised to go to Canada (I live an hour from Windsor) and buy sacharin artificial sweetener. I THINK, but am not sure, that sacharin (maybe spelled with two 'c's?) is the "best" articial sweetner. You could look for that one.

A natural food suplement called "stevia" has a strong sweetening effect for many people and some folks on this forum use it. Look around and you will see it debated. Some people don't get any sweet sensation from it at all. Others swear by it. I have some stevia for experimentation but thus far Splenda is the best. I do remember with fond affection diet soft drinks from my use sweetened with sacharin and I remember that it tasted exactly like a sugared drink so I will eventually travel to Windsor to try some . . .

There, more than you ever wanted to know about Equal.

Wanda L
Tue, Aug-27-02, 12:02
Tama: This is delicious. I had this for breakfast over the weekend both days. I love it. I added an extra egg (Like big breakfast). Thanks for sharing it.

:thup:

jude
Sat, Sep-14-02, 14:34
I've been eating eggs boiled, fried, poached, devilled, whatever--but never sweet. What a difference this makes. Finally, a breakfast I can face early in the morning!

I didn't have any vanilla, so I just sweetened the egg w/tsp Splenda, added a tbsp half & half cream for volume (cause I'm trying to increase my calories and I'm out of heavy cream), left the cheese unsweetened, and served this "Sweet Omelette" with a 1/4 cup of chopped canteloupe. Delicious. And only 4 carbs.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll sweeten the cheese and have bacon instead of fruit....even fewer carbs. Or I could mush some strawberries and mix them right in with the cheese before spreading it on the egg to melt. The possibilities are endless.

Thanks Tama.

judy

Daren
Mon, Oct-07-02, 10:19
vess - you can order Splenda (and other Atkins/low-carb stuff) from http://www.sugarlite.co.uk. There may be other places but I have only just started looking!

Good luck

Daren

:wave:

committed
Sun, Oct-13-02, 21:32
This is a great breakfast. I sometimes do the egg as instructed, sorta like a crepe but instead of sweeteing the cheese I add some fresh herbs. Then I get a savory instead of a sweet. . . and I like a savory treat, too.

HeidiN
Sun, May-04-03, 11:19
this recipe is GREAT. However, I didn't have any vanillia either, so I used strawberry exrtact... it was delicious. maybe other flavored extracts would be good as well. :D :thup:

Corvidae
Sat, May-10-03, 01:36
I've used sugar substitutes for cooking and baking for over 20 years both in the states and the UK. First for my diabetic Father and not to make LC goodies for myself.

Equal is nutrasweet... look for Hermasetas, Candarel, or Sweetex to get the equivalent in the UK. All supermarkets and even Boots carry the lot of them. Asda does an 'own brand' version that's just 98p a jar. And I can't tell the difference between that and the expensive brands so guess which I buy.

Splenda is available in most of the larger supermarket chains also. But I've not been able to find and equivalent for the brown sugar flavour Sweet & Low that I used to get in the states. That was saccharin, which can have a nasty after taste, but it was good if used in moderation. Other than that I never use saccahrin anymore and can't say I miss it at all.

I use nutrasweet for things that don't get cooked, becuse it loses its sweetness if heated, and splenda for things that do.

Hope this helps... LC anything is incredibly difficult to come by in the UK.

cat28
Sun, May-11-03, 12:40
what kind of cheese do you talk about? what does the shortcut "cr" stand for?

Love
Cat

D.J.DIDDLE
Tue, May-13-03, 02:57
hey cat
i hope this helps you and i hope im right but i reckon cr. is cream cheese so that answers both your questions

D.J

Sunswept
Wed, May-14-03, 08:33
:yum: Im new here on these posts and just stumbled across this recipe yesterday. I went out during work and bought what I needed and was dying at the gym this morning to come home and make it. OOOOOOOOOOOH was that good!!!!!!!! OOOOOOOOOH am I so Happy. Ooooooooooh I can't wait for breakfast tomorrow LOL. I have a real sweet tooth and knowing I can eat healthy and still have my sweets is great. Please by all means keep sending the sweet stuff my way. The good part of it all because I don't know how to read a box and figure out an ounce I only used a dab of cream cheese and then saw after I put the box away that :blush: its marked for ounces...so I didn't even use up a carb in the cheese :)

Thanks for the great morning recipe.

Laurie

CajunCarbr
Wed, Feb-11-04, 10:01
Tried the mock danish this morning. Not bad. It is amazingly similar to a very fresh moist danish, without all the icing though.

Give it a try.

rozier3
Fri, Feb-27-04, 07:54
I love this recipe, although I used 2 eggs and a tbsp of cream to make the crepe, and mixed sf jam with the cream cheese (2 oz.) for filling. Another thought I had that I'm going to try instead of making the crepe sweet is to fill it with salmon spread cream cheese.

Jetgirl01
Mon, Mar-01-04, 00:39
After two weeks of eggs eggs and more eggs for breakfast (except for one morning when I had tuna salad just for a change) I thought I'd give the mock danish a try. It was definitely yummy but half way through it was way too sweet for me. I am taking this as a sign that my desire for sugar has dimished since starting this WOE. I think I'll keep the mock danish as a once in a while treat.

smilinka
Mon, Mar-01-04, 09:32
I made this over the weekend...it was a little two sweet for me also...sooo i just did one egg and one packet of splenda and cooked it in the butter then put some sf syrup on it.. tasted very close to french toast without the bread... thanks for the idea

wow
Sun, Mar-07-04, 08:53
I AM IN HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!It was OSOOOOSOOOOOOO good. I made one ans was really skeptical but after I ate it...oh boy...I fried some bacon and ate another. What a treat.

It was a little sweet. I am thinking of maybe sharing one packet of splenda between the two parts .

Thanks for this wonderful idea!

Lindym
Sat, Mar-20-04, 21:46
This is sooo good. I used vanilla SF syrup in the egg & raspberry SF syrup in the cheese.

Saffa
Fri, Mar-26-04, 23:47
Tried this tonight. Yummy!

I read the bottle of vanilla before I poured it though and noticed that it has sugar in it. So, I skipped the vanilla and used almond extract. Great taste!

~Saffa

LadyBelle
Sun, Jul-17-05, 07:59
NOW another artificial sweetener is sacharin, which was banned in the states 20+ years ago. I have read that it is widely in use in Europe and I have been advised to go to Canada (I live an hour from Windsor) and buy sacharin artificial sweetener. I THINK, but am not sure, that sacharin (maybe spelled with two 'c's?) is the "best" articial sweetner. You could look for that one.

Other way around. In the states sachrine is available in Sweet and Low while Clamiditines (ok I spelled that really wrong) is banned. In canada sachrine is banned and Clamiditines (sp) is used.

If a canadian would like to give the proper spelling of that it would be appriciated so people aren't completely confused. It's the stuff found in brown sugar twin

LukeA
Sun, Jul-17-05, 16:35
Other way around. In the states sachrine is available in Sweet and Low while Clamiditines (ok I spelled that really wrong) is banned. In canada sachrine is banned and Clamiditines (sp) is used.

If a canadian would like to give the proper spelling of that it would be appriciated so people aren't completely confused. It's the stuff found in brown sugar twin

"Clamiditines", actually spelled "cyclamate". :) As karen reccomends, I find that you dont have to use as much sweetener if you combine different types of artificial sweeteners. I usually use cyclamate, sucralose (splenda), and stevia.

Anna_Marie
Thu, Aug-11-05, 20:48
Delicious! :D Thanks for the recipe!

eskimissy
Thu, Aug-11-05, 20:52
Hmmm I've been missing my LC pancakes because I've recently moved back into university campus housing, and we don't get a stove. Do you think it would work in a waffle iron????

HELP :D

klc145
Wed, Sep-07-05, 07:05
This was so good! I made it this morning and now have another alternative to just eggs!

Luzyanna
Thu, Oct-06-05, 00:05
I guess I was the only one that didn't like this recipe and I wanted to SO BADLY!!!!! LOL

klc145
Thu, Oct-06-05, 07:42
I guess I was the only one that didn't like this recipe and I wanted to SO BADLY!!!!! LOL

How did you make it? I added a little maple extract to my cream cheese and it tasted just like french toast. Just wondering what you added?

Luzyanna
Mon, Oct-10-05, 23:34
How did you make it? I added a little maple extract to my cream cheese and it tasted just like french toast. Just wondering what you added?

I made it like the recipe called for but couldn't get past the eggy taste. I think if I stay on this diet long enough, it will taste better. LOL The maple sounds great though.

TexasLoser
Sun, Oct-30-05, 07:46
I made the Mock Danish version and I also couldn't get past the eggy taste and it was too sweet for me. I'll try this crepe version- maybe by having the egg in a thin layer, the egg taste will be disguised by the cream cheese. I, too, wanted so much to like the cream cheese/egg recipes. I guess I have to deprogram myself from thinking that eggs are meant to be eaten with hard cheeses, onion and salsa!

Rubinesque
Mon, Nov-14-05, 06:47
Thanks for this recipe. I love to cook and variety is the only thing that will keep me on this SB diet. I think a tsp. of all fruit would be a great addition also. I am a newbie and have tried to remove all starches from my kitchen. Would you belive that this week I've been loaded with company and have fed everyone low carb to rave reviews. I've been stirfrying mounds of fresh veggies. Delicious and legal. This egg recipe sounds great, I'm going to try cooking it in a crepe maker and see if I can server it for a company dessert also.
Rubinesque.

frogg
Fri, Jan-13-06, 19:17
'cr' stands for 'cream'. Cream cheese.

Rubinesque
Sat, Jan-14-06, 04:37
I've had great fun with this recipe.I happen to have a little crepe maker but a small frying pan would be fine. I don't put any flavoring in the eggs so that I may go sweet or savory with the crepes. I make a batch and keep them in zip lock bags for a few days at a time. you can then take them out, fill them and either heat up in a frying pan, oven, or nuke them for a few seconds. I've filled them with a few slices of apples cooked in diet cream soda and apple pie spice or a tsp. of allfruit and crm. cheese or riccotta which I put the vanilla or any flavor extract and a half pack of splenda or sf maple syrup. I've filled them with tuna and a little shredded cheese or chicken and veggies. I just use them as a regular crepe and no one knows the difference. With the cheese in the middle with a little fresh fruit on top, it's delicious. My non dieting freinds never knew the difference. Don't use cottage cheese, it gets too runny.

Dena241
Tue, Jan-17-06, 09:48
Cat28 "cr cheese"=cream cheese.

TAMA, I gotta tell ya I am not one to try new things. I do like the deep dish pizza recipe, but mostly I stick to the basics. I made your posted recipe this morning and OH MY! My 2 year old tried to take it away when she got a taste! It was awesome, very easy, I love it! I used Xylitol though, instead os splenda, less carbs. Thanks for posting!

CheriYM
Tue, Jan-17-06, 10:30
This sounds good!! Will have to try it soon. We made lemon ricotta pancakes last weekend that turned out really well. Will post the recipe when I get some time . . . :wave:

melissa G
Sat, Jan-28-06, 07:55
I have tried this before and it is pretty darn good. :yum:
I believe it is from suzanne somers book or similar to it.

:wave:

Dodgerchik
Mon, Oct-02-06, 11:53
This sounds incredibly yummy! I'll have to try it, thanks for the recipe!

rightnow
Tue, Oct-03-06, 09:28
Yaaaay! Another awesome food thanks to the LC recipe board! :agree:

OK, I wanted to make this recipe, but had a couple issues, like,

1 - I was afraid it would be eggy. Egg and sweet sound disgusting to me. To me, eggs are made for savory stuff unless the taste of them is hidden.

2 - I wanted to make more, so my kid could have some too

3 - I wanted to get a little more 'other stuff' in like flaxmeal, protein powder, and given that normal crepes are made with flour, I thought at least a tiny bit of the stuff might contribute (though it adds carbs). I thought that might also mask some of the egg flavor.

I decided to go sweet since all my protein powder is sweet.

(I've ordered some 'plain' designer whey from netrition, not sure if it is sweet or not, but I thought I would try that with a savory when it arrives. The idea of frying some garlic, chopped onions, mushrooms, and sliced peppers up, maybe with a tiny bit of cooked-shredded chicken, sounds awesome.)

So I used (I call these):

Egg+ Crepes

3 eggs (I used large)
2 Tablespoons butter (melted, I used unsalted)
1 oz cream cheese (greatly softened)
1 teaspoon almond flour (I used the course meal)
1 teaspoon flax meal (golden)
1 teaspoon protein powder (I used designer whey vanilla-praline)
1 teaspoon carbsense baking mix (kinda like carbquick)
1 Tablespoon DaVinci Maple(pancake) syrup (it's a sweetener too)
(I meant to add some kind of spice but forgot!)

Filling:
~1/2 cup ricotta (I didn't measure, sorry. Maybe more.)
1 Tbsp SF jam (mix into ricotta)
1 pkt Splenda (mix into ricotta)
1 teaspoon each of SF jam (for the top)

It made 5 crepes in my 8" pan.

Nutrition, Summary:

Totals for the five crepes: Cal 585.04 Fat 53.26 Carb 4.64 Fiber 1.17 Protein 23.8 (ECC 3.47)

Total per crepe (1/5): Cal 117.01 Fat 10.65 Carb .93 Fiber .23 Protein 4.76 (ECC .70)

You'll need to add the counts for whatever filling you use, to the above.

How I made it

I whisked that a bunch until it was smooth except the cream cheese was in little pieces, maybe 3-5 millimeter sized pieces. The batter was thin.

I took an 8" shallow saute pan, heated it, sprayed a quick-distant coverage of nonstick spray (I didn't want a lot so it would 'fry' in it), and poured just enough (I'm guessing 1/2 cup) from my batter pour-bowl, that when I picked up the pan and slowly turned it so it covered the bottom, and then slowly rotated it a bit so the bit of extra would go around the bottom of the sides a few times and even out in the pan. I let them cook for about a minute or so on low heat, until when I picked up the pan and turned it a little, I could see the top-middle was 'set' and not liquid.

As it wasn't slippery enough to try some "pan flip" technique (... which I doubt I'd be good at!), I have this oversized flat spatula, and I gently turned the pan, with the spatula held outside it, and gradually slipped the crepe off the pan onto the spatula, and then gently flipped the whole thing over and back into the pan, sometimes turned it to slide it a little to the center, and put it back on to cook for about a minute on the other side. Obviously someone who is expert at crepes or has a crepe-maker wouldn't have to be so creative. :lol:

I re-sprayed the pan between each crepe. When done, I flipped the pan over above a plate to drop it out.

They actually sort of browned in spots, it looked nicer than just plain eggy.

I mixed a little Ricotta cheese (I forgot how I detest the gloppy texture of the stuff, and I didn't measure how much, I am guessing 1/2 to 3/4 cup) with 1 pkt of Splenda and a Tablespoon of SF/LC jam (apricot in this case). I spread some all over each crepe -- not a ton -- and rolled them up. Then I put a little bit of the same SF jam along the top of each.

Comments

This was unbelievably good. My 10 year old kid was like, "This is incredible! Give me more!" :lol: She doesn't like that kind of jam (I didn't realize) and she still scarfed down two.

It is a very sweet result (the recipe above) but great -- this is as much a dessert as a breakfast frankly.

I really did not taste the egg to any appreciable extent that interfered with the sweet. I think the added ingredients and davinci kind of overpowered it.

Driving my kid to school, I realized that I could have spread butter on one of these, and then mixed something like cinnamon and sweetener and then sprinkled all over and rolled it up. I was sorry I'd eaten all mine then as that sounded so good! I think next time I'll use some apple pie spice (cinnamon nutmeg allspice blend) with the batter, and do that instead. Maybe using a stick mixer to mix soft cream cheese, butter, and the cinnamon-sweet for the inside would be good. Yummmmm.

Nutrition, detail (I had to do this anyway so thought I'd share it in case someone wants to subtract one thing or vary something, it'll be easier to figure out your version if you have the detail):

Eggs, large, three: Cal 252 Fat 18 Carb 2 Fiber 0 Prot 18

Almond Meal/Flour 1/4cup: Cal 160 Fat 14 Carb 6 Fiber 3 Prot 6
1/4 cup = 4 tablespoons = 12 teaspoons, so 1/12 (1 teaspoon) of that is:
Almond Meal/Flour 1 teaspoon: Cal 13.33 Fat 1.17 Carb .50 Fiber .25 Prot .50

2 Tablespoons butter (unsalted): Cal 204 Fat 23 Carb 0 Fiber 0 Prot 0

1 oz cream cheese: Cal 88 Fat 10 Carb 1 Fiber 0 Prot 2

Flax Meal, Golden, 2.5 Tbsp: Cal 100 Fat 7 Carb 6 Fiber 6 Prot 3
2.5 Tbsp = 7.5 teaspoons (rounded to 8 for count) so 1/8 (1 tsp) is:
Flax Meal, Golden 1 teaspoon: Cal 12.5 Fat .88 Carb .75 Fiber .75 Prot .38

Protein Powder, Designer Whey, Vanilla-Praline, 1 Scoop: Cal 90 Fat 1.5 Carb 2 Fiber 0 Prot 18
1 scoop = ~ 3 Tbsp = 9 tsp, so 1/9 of that would be:
Designer Whey Protein Vanilla-Praline 1 Teaspoon: Cal 10 Fat .17 Carb .22 Fiber 0 Prot 2

CarbSense Baking Mix 1/2 cup: Cal 125 Fat 1 Carb 4 Fiber 4 Prot 22
1/2c = 8 Tbsp = 24 tsp so 1/24 of that would be:
CarbSense Baking Mix 1 teaspoon: Cal 5.21 Fat .04 Carb .17 Fiber .17 Prot .92

1 Tablespoon DaVinci Maple(pancake) syrup: zero everything

jennah
Tue, Jan-23-07, 10:12
absolutley the best recipe. I never knew eggs and cream cheese tasted so good together. Thanks

pattyannie
Thu, Feb-22-07, 01:09
just wanted to say that i made this and it is really good - though the first time i tried, i burned the egg - trying to get my daughter ready for school and cook at the same time (argh). i had a couple of slices of canadian bacon on the side as i like some salty with my sweet. :yum:

12nomore
Tue, Feb-27-07, 16:18
Just tried this for the first time- WONDERFUL! I used butternut flavoring (for my past life that included making and eatin butternut pound cakes) and it was really good. I just needed a quick snack. it was sweet and filling- I'll definitely make this again! Thanks for posting this recipe.

Snacky
Tue, Feb-27-07, 16:46
What about some davinci whisked into the eggs with some cinnamon, then do the cheese on top? I'm gonna try this this weekend.

Snacky
Tue, Feb-27-07, 16:59
Ok I just tried something diff, i did not have any cr cheese but I whisked an egg and some davinci rasberry syrup, cooked the egg into a pancake shape and put davinci khalua on the top. it tasted like a real pancake minus the texture.

CNYMom
Sat, Mar-10-07, 09:11
I had this for breakfast this morning, and it was awesome! I used DaVinci SF vanilla syrup rather than the vanilla extract and equal, and I only get 2g carbs when I put it into Fitday. I can't wait for breakfast again!

darreld
Sun, Feb-10-08, 19:24
I made this today and it was wonderful. I was so excited to have something other than eggs :). The cream cheese and sweet was just right. I'll be making this a couple times a week.

-darrel

Iowagirl
Mon, Feb-25-08, 22:17
I'm going to try this tomorrow!

lyzjnqtpy
Thu, Nov-27-08, 00:47
At first I thought this dish sounded odd and was not going to give it a try. but everyone seems to gve it nothing but praise so I am gonna give it a shot!

lyzjnqtpy
Sun, Nov-30-08, 08:05
OK I tried it but it was not my cup of tea. I didn't care for the sweetness.

ShesGG
Sun, May-24-09, 09:02
That Vermont syrup is really tasty. I get that at my local grocery store and eat it with the flaxmeal pancakes as well.

I'm trying this recipe today.

Prhan82
Fri, Sep-04-09, 09:52
Hi thanks so much for this recipe - I thought it was absolutely fabulous! I tried it with mascapone cheese instead of cream cheese and it was delicious.

Finally found my sweet weekend breakfast =)