PDA

View Full Version : Oteopenia - Recommendations?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

diemde
Fri, Jun-15-07, 06:19
I just had my first bone density test, which indicates that my lumbar spine L1 to L4 averages -1.2, which is in the osteopenia range. The bone test from my hip was in the normal range. My doctor is telling me to continue with calcium supplementation, but I'm not convinced that calcium alone is going to make that much difference. I've been a huge milk drinker all of my life and until low carbing, I drank a lot of milk.

So, in addition to the calcium and vitamin D that I take, I'm wondering what I can do to infuse more minerals into my bones. I was reading that lactoferrin in whey protein can help, so was thinking of trying that. Any other suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks for your help.

Dodger
Fri, Jun-15-07, 07:36
Dianne,

I recommend getting outside in the sun and getting some vitamin D from the sunlight. Weight-bearing exercise is supposed to help bone density, so hit the weights and do some jogging.

Nancy LC
Fri, Jun-15-07, 09:33
How much D and what type are you taking?

Vitamin K2 is also supposed to help remineralize your bones. You might want to google on that.

Calcium from milk is not the best really, it is poorly absorbed. And you really need magnesium and vitamin D3 to properly utilize it.

lngrid
Fri, Jun-15-07, 14:33
Hi, Diemde. As far as exercise, jogging CAN be hard on the joints, and an alternative is to run in a pool. Resistance from the water gives your muscles a real workout, your bones interpret that as weight-bearing exercise, but your joints and feet don't take a pounding because the water supports you. While you're in the pool, you can use things that float as "weights" for "weight training" in the pool. Instead of lifting against gravity, you pull down on them against their desire to float. You can use those pool noodles for this, but you can also buy styrofoam "pool weights" for this. Good luck with beating osteoporosis!

Nancy LC
Fri, Jun-15-07, 15:06
Oh yeah... another thing I should mention is that often undiagnosed celiac disease is a factor in osteoperosis. You might want to get checked for that and even if you test negative (the tests are stinky) consider following a gluten free diet.

diemde
Fri, Jun-15-07, 18:31
All, thanks for the info. I should have let you know that I do take good vitamins now, so I am really looking for other ideas. I posted about vitamins a few months ago in the supplement forum and changed what I was taking based on advice from the folks here. (I am taking 2K vit. D and plan on taking ~7K in the Fall/Winter timeframe.) Maybe some of those haven't quite kicked in yet since it's been so recent.

I hadn't realized this could be a sign of celiac, so I'll look more into that, too.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

kebaldwin
Sat, Jun-16-07, 11:08
http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Healthy-Bones

http://www.vitacost.com/articleResults.aspx?Ntk=articles&.y=5&ss=1&.x=17&Ntt=bones

http://www.lef.org/protocols/metabolic_health/osteoporosis_01.htm

Nancy LC
Sat, Jun-16-07, 12:16
Have you had your blood levels of D3 checked? Some sources of vitamin D are better than others. The sort that comes in your multivitamin or in dry vitamin D pills is not effective according to one doctor. He recommends the oil-based D3, cholecaliferol. And don't forget to google on k2, I think that might be an important one.

black57
Sat, Jun-16-07, 13:29
By chance are you taking statins? They can deplete the body of vitamin D. If you are not taking statins how is your cholesterol? Cholesterol is important in the absorption of vitamin D.

diemde
Sun, Jun-17-07, 06:17
K, thanks for the links! I hadn't thought to search there, so those are great. That Healthy Bones product looks like it covers all the supplements that have been mentioned here, so I think I'll order it. One thing I still need to check is whether I could be taking too much of any of the vitamins/nutrients by adding this one. I will be switching over to the NSI Synergy Women's multi as you recommended the last time I posted in the supplements forum, so just want to be sure I'm not overdosing on anything.

Nancy, I haven't had my D3 checked, but the one I recently started taking is the cholecalciferol. It's the NSI D3, 2000IU. I will read up on K2 today, thanks for reminding me!

Black, I don't take statins. I actually don't normally taking any meds, although I'm temporarily taking Allegra D for a fluid problem in one ear. I haven't had my cholesterol level checked lately, so I'll get that done, too. I just had my physical and was surprised that it wasn't included in all the blood work they did.

I really appreciate all of your help. This has been a wake up call that I really need to get serious about protecting my health. Thanks again!

kebaldwin
Sun, Jun-17-07, 08:20
What type of omega 3s are you taking?

black57
Sun, Jun-17-07, 11:10
K, thanks for the links! I hadn't thought to search there, so those are great. That Healthy Bones product looks like it covers all the supplements that have been mentioned here, so I think I'll order it. One thing I still need to check is whether I could be taking too much of any of the vitamins/nutrients by adding this one. I will be switching over to the NSI Synergy Women's multi as you recommended the last time I posted in the supplements forum, so just want to be sure I'm not overdosing on anything.

Nancy, I haven't had my D3 checked, but the one I recently started taking is the cholecalciferol. It's the NSI D3, 2000IU. I will read up on K2 today, thanks for reminding me!

Black, I don't take statins. I actually don't normally taking any meds, although I'm temporarily taking Allegra D for a fluid problem in one ear. I haven't had my cholesterol level checked lately, so I'll get that done, too. I just had my physical and was surprised that it wasn't included in all the blood work they did.

I really appreciate all of your help. This has been a wake up call that I really need to get serious about protecting my health. Thanks again!

Well, this is good to hear. Often people take the statins with lowered cholesterol results which will reduced vitamin D levels and bone thinning. We only hear that cholesterol is bad, bad, bad. But cholesterol has a strong useful purpose. My mom is taking vitamin D after she began taking statins. She has no idea what her cholesterol level is, she just knows that the doctor says it is too high.

diemde
Sun, Jun-17-07, 16:13
K, the Omega 3 I'm taking is from Nature's Bounty, ALA, EPA and DHA. I'm almost out of those and was thinking of switching over to the Mega EFA from NSI. Do you have a recommendation? Thanks!

kebaldwin
Sun, Jun-17-07, 16:22
Vitacost is no better than the other high quality companies. Stick with whatever you are most comfortable with.

I have no facts for this - but I think that men should only take fish oils where as women may do better on some fish oil mixed with plant oils. So if you are happy with what you are taking - stick with it.

Fish oil (omega 3s) are magical and appear to help in many, many ways.

I would not recommend trying to fix joint problems without first takeing a high quality multi-vitamin and omega 3s - but it sounds like you are well on course.

Some people have joint problems and go take like 1,000 mg of calcium - and nothing else. I have a problem with that. Sounds like you are doing the right thing.

I don't see any problems with taking bone health with a multi-vitamin.

I assume you are eating plenty of fat - or at least enough for the fat soluble vitamins to work.

I assume you are getting plenty of protein?

diemde
Sun, Jun-17-07, 16:36
Thanks. I don't track everything I eat these days, but I get about 60%-65% fat, 20-25% protein and the rest carbs. I eat protein and fat at every meal and in most of my snacks.

The reason I want to switch to Vitacost is so I can get all my supplements from one place. I can't really tell if anything is making a difference, so it really doesn't matter to me which ones I take. BTW, that's the biggest issue I have with supplements - you can't tell if they are working. But, I don't want to ever find out that they didn't work, so I take them as insurance. :lol:

Thanks again!

kebaldwin
Sun, Jun-17-07, 17:40
To see what proper nutrition does for you - requires weeks. For example, if I stop all my join pain supplments - it is about two weeks before I start feeling it.

Likewise it takes four to eight weeks for the pain to go away.

You can also look at blood tests.

Did you have ny medical problems - especially symptoms of type 2 dibetes?

diemde
Mon, Jun-18-07, 05:48
No medical issues other than a little fluid on one ear for which I'm taking Allegra D. It's mostly cleared up, but the Dr wants me to keep taking the Allegra for a bit longer. I do have a lot of relatives with diabetes, though, including my sister and my mom. My sister's was so bad she finally had to get a pump inserted. My FBG was 91 when I had my physical. And I periodically have my sister test mine just to check. It's always been ok.

High blood pressure and arthritis are the other 2 things that are prevalent with my sisters, but I haven't had any problems with those either. I'm hoping that my lc lifestyle is keeping everything under control. At this point, I'm the only one out of my mom and 4 sisters that doesn't take any meds on a regular basis... and I'm hoping to keep it that way!

kebaldwin
Mon, Jun-18-07, 05:58
Congratulations on getting the good genes in the family!

Congratulations on your success so far (100 pounds)!

You definitely have the right mindset and are on your way to avoiding the problems that your relatives have. Type 2 diabetes is a horrible disease.

You are lucky that you realized you had to do something - and are taking the right steps.

Also, your quality of life will be greatly improved than your other relatives.

Nothing against your relatives. I have them also. I also learned from them. I use to sleep all the time and then move to couch just like they did. Now it is completely different life.

cs_carver
Mon, Jun-18-07, 07:01
I've been taking silica for 10 years. Switched to the Bio-Sil product (liquid drops) a few years ago. I'm still fully pre-menopausal at 48, and a ultrasound bone density test on my heel gave a score of 1.1. I don't think that's adjusted for height (I'm 6' and the test is normed to 5'10") but it's still on the good side of zero.

5 or 6 drops in my bedtime glass of water, daily.

(I also take the "standard" supplement junkie dose of almost everything, to the tune of 40 pills/day, but that's pretty much covered above. Didn't see anyone say anything about silica.)

kebaldwin
Mon, Jun-18-07, 08:09
http://www.worldhealth.net/p/aadr-silicon.html

http://www.vitacost.com/articleResults.aspx?Ntk=articles&.y=5&ss=1&.x=13&Ntt=silicon

http://search.lef.org/search/default.aspx?s=1&QUERY=silicon

diemde
Mon, Jun-18-07, 17:55
Thanks for the info on the silicon. I hadn't read about it before, so this is interesting. I'll do a bit more research before trying, but it sounds like there may be some benefit.

Thanks again for all of the help from everyone. I really do appreciate it!

cs_carver
Mon, Jun-18-07, 18:15
Expect a difference in your fingernails, too, and perhaps your skin, in as long as it takes fingernails to grow out. Mine are MUCH stronger than they ever were, and I <think> my skin is more resistant to scratches (gardening). But it's been 10 years... so it's hard to prove anything, when you only have one rat in the study.

Silica is a component of cell walls, in addition to being a player in the bone matrix, so getting more silica in your diet makes all cell walls stronger. My father thinks it makes him more resistant to infection (stronger cell walls = harder for bad bugs to get through) but I don't go quite that far.