PDA

View Full Version : different meters vary by 24 points?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

thecowgirl
Thu, Jun-07-07, 07:27
I had been using the TrueTrack smart system meter to check levels and decided to compare the results this morning to an Accu Check Active meter we also had. My results varied by 24 points - the TrueTrack said 102, and the Active said 78. I tested two different fingers, each within about 20 seconds total. I find this difference in results highly disturbing. Has anyone else encountered similar things? WHY would the results be off by so much? How do you know which one is right? I am very frustrated at this point and feel like crying.

Charran
Thu, Jun-07-07, 10:34
What I do is take my meter along with me when I have to go for blood tests. I record the number and then when I get my results, I check to see how close it was to the lab result. You might want to try that with both meters and see which one is giving you the accurate reading.

RobLL
Thu, Jun-07-07, 16:17
Charron - that's a pretty extreme difference. You might want to go to the pharmacy and buy the test solution (don't know if you can use the same solution for both meters -HEY SOMEONE Chime in) and test the meter. So far I haven't done this. I do whenever I get an unexpected reading test a finger on the other hand immediately, so far I have had only one set of readings more than about 5% apart. Technically this of course is a measurement of consistency, and not accuracy. But when I check after sending in a blood sample I also always test with my own, so far OK Rob

suze_c
Sat, Jun-23-07, 01:10
I had this happen to me, with the same meters- true trak and accucheck- I was told the same thing- to remember what my levels were taken with both of them after a blood sugar check by doc., and compare the differences and go by that. I agree it is confusing to have them range so extreme!