PDA

View Full Version : Heel Pain (Plantar Fasciitis or Heel Spur)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Gemma
Mon, Feb-11-02, 20:24
Has anyone else had an area of pain or inflamation which has suddenly inproved on LC WOE?

I have had had problems with heel pain caused by plantar fasciitis for a number of years. I had shoe inserts made by a podiatrist which helped a lot but did not cure the problem.

The weight loss I have had so far doesn't explain the sudden improvement I have experienced from the heel pain, as I am still much heavier than I was when the heel pain first started.

Does this have to do with reducing the inflamatory process in the body? I think there must be some link and I am sure I read somewhere that there is a connection.

Anyone with a similar experience?

Gemma :wave:

BaileyWS
Mon, Feb-11-02, 22:34
Are you exercising? stretching?

I have had a heel spur for years. I remember the pain was especially bad for about three years after my daughter was born (1989) ... then it went away mysteriously. I guess that's the way it is with heel spurs, the pain comes and goes. The bone spurs don't actually go away, but the inflamed tissue around it just doesn't hurt any more.

I had tried everything that first time around ... cortisone shots worked for a short time, but were extremely painful to receive ... finally a woman in my church (who also had heel spurs) gave me a peice of paper with exercises on it ... basically they were to stretch the calf muscle. The theory was that if the calf muscles are well-stretched and limber, they wouldn't pull on the tissue around the heel as much (which causes the pain from the spurs). Wearing high heels, etc. is the number one cause of heel spur pain ... because the heels cause the calf muscles to contract thus putting additional stress on the heel tissue. This made some sense to me ... moreover, if it didn't work, I had nothing to loose.

I tired it ... it took some time, but eventually worked ... (the paper said it could take 3-5 months for the exercises to work ... in the meantime, wear no-heeled shoes (or very low heels), athletic shoes with cushioned soles every chance you get.

My heel spur pain is back now though not as bad as the first time around. I don't remember to exercise as much as I should and when I do, I don't stretch like I should.

The paper with the excersises, by the way, came from a sports doctor ... not a podiatrist.

Gemma
Tue, Feb-12-02, 05:10
Hi Wendy

Yes, I had exercises from a sports physiotherapist. They did work a bit, but it never really went away. I had one heel that was bad and the other was okay although at one time both heels were painful and no amount of exercise or massage worked. That's when I visited the podiatrist and got the inserts for my shoes. I don't wear heels much, but funnily enough they don't aggravate the heel pain for me.

I was also told that the "spur" isn't the problem. The physio told me that the inflamation arises from stretched and strained tendons and ligaments when your foot pronates (rolls in). I have very high arches, and the rolling in even slightly stretches the ligaments from the heel to the arch of the foot, causing the pain.

What I was really wondering was if the inflamatory process is now reduced because of the LC diet, as it is really the only thing that has changed over the past few years since the heel pain started - even the inserts, exercise and massage didn't reduce the problem to the point it is now! I hardly even think about it anymore and it has just been the past four months that I have been LCing that I have noticed the improvement.

What do you think?

Gemma

upncomer
Tue, Feb-12-02, 06:59
Hi Gemma,

Your heel spur pain reduction could very well be from your LC'ing. I'm not an expert, but studies have shown that LC'ing reduces a lot of inflammation around the joints (arthritis), among other things.

I have been in constant pain since 1998 from two spinal surgeries (ironically, I had a spur growing up my spine!). Since starting this WOL, my back pain has dropped considerably! I have now started a light water workout and can sleep through most nights.

I am hoping there will come a day when I can stop taking my medications for my back (Celebrex 1/day, Soma 3/day, Darvocet 3/day). I have already cut out my Darvocet and only take one when absolutely necessary.

Hope your pain does not come back!!

BaileyWS
Tue, Feb-12-02, 09:28
I agree with Darla ... it COULD be a reason.

I know that I don't have the pain in my shoulder (tendonitis) that I used to have ... but I attribute that more to the daily workouts at the gym than the LCing.

I have not had any reduction in heel pain since LCing ... and I've been at it since July 2001. So much of this depends on the person's own biochemistry.

Trifle
Sat, Feb-16-02, 21:40
Gemma,
I have had heal spurr pain about a year now, Two years ago I was thin so I'm blaming it all on my weight. The only thing I do for the pain when it gets really bad, is to wear my shoe inserts.
Other than that I'm still waiting to see if it goes away as I loose weight. I hope so !
If you hear any new info about this subject, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Gemma
Mon, Feb-18-02, 00:05
Hi Wendy, Darla, and Trifle

Thanks for all the feedback. Over the years of heel pain, I did quite a lot of walking and there were times it became impossible! I favoured one foot so much I upset my hip! and limped on both sides for a while.

This is why I am so surprised by the sudden improvement - I have never in all the years I have had heel pain had it stop like this! It always just niggled along painfully or was totally excruciating - but never gone altogether. I walk about 4 kms three or four times a week at the moment and I can wear sandals without inserts all day without pain!

Time will tell I suppose - I would love to think it is the LC WOE/WOL!!!!!

Bye now

Gemma

smiley
Mon, Feb-18-02, 05:04
Hi, about the heel spurs.......It would be hard for me to pinpoint what has caused a reduction in my heel pain.
So many things have changed since going Low Carb.
1. Have lost weight ( less pressure on feet now)
2. Take supplements faithfully ( calcium.etc)
3. More excersise
4. Better sleep,(more resting of all body parts)
5. Less bad stuff accumulating in my body.
6. Wearing birkenstock sandals,,,,I have really high arches and if I look at my ankle without them it caves in. ( a fallen arch)

I know it is still there on my left foot because if I speedwalk in winter boots or something other than crosstrainers..I feel it immediatley.but its not so bad in the mornings anymore.

Funny thing is , I used to have it in my right foot for 2 years,,that is gone and now its in my left only?????????

Smiley

Gemma
Mon, Feb-18-02, 16:37
Hi Smiley

I also had the pain in both feet for a while, but never as bad in the right as the left, and like yours it went away - interestingly enough while I was as my highest weight!

I was also told that it isn't actually the "spur" that causes the problem but the stretching of the fascia and ligaments from the heel to the front of the foot - as you said, the arch collapses down and stretches everything on the underside of the foot, causing extreme inflamation and pain. Like you I had extreme pain in the mornings, as when standing up after resting the foot in its proper position, the pulling on the ligaments etc when first standing in the morning or rising after sitting for some time was terrible.

Hope yours continues to improve also! :wave:

Gemma

lyttlefish
Wed, Feb-27-02, 17:21
hi you all...
i have suffered with this facitis thing for about a year now on and off
the pain is really reduced since i went on the low carb but there are day sif i wear the wrong shoes the next morning i am in trouble again
here is a site that is very helpful in explaining the whole mess
i too hope that more weight los, all pain will go away
i am told that one should not wear FLAT shoes, but a bit of a raised heal. i started having the problem when i swore x-hikers, i think that the lasts were too stiff for my thin feet and created the arch, tendon problem
anyway
have a look at this site it is worht it
<')))><
http://www.tagnet.org/wsacc/plantarf.htm

Gemma
Fri, Mar-01-02, 04:54
Thanks Lyttlefish

That is a really interesting site. They offer some good advice

Hope your fasciitis clears up as mine has with LC

Bye

Gemma

vbrowne
Wed, Mar-20-02, 15:25
For anyone out there suffering from heel pain / plantar faciatis try acupuncture. I suffered for almost a year, I had cortizone shots (never ever would recommend this to even my worst enemy), orthotics, exercise (some relief but not nearly enough). I signed up for physiotherapy as another resort - they suggested I try acupuncture, which I did - 5 sessions and no more pain - I keep doing the stretches each morning and I wear a shoe with a slight heel (1") and I'm pain free.

Gemma
Wed, Mar-20-02, 19:20
Hi Vbrowne

Thanks for the advice - if it comes back we have a Chinese Medicine Clinic in the town where I work and they have an acupuncturist. I know it is good for lots of things. My husband had a pinched nerve in his hip and the acupuncture fixed that. I also had it for a shoulder injury years ago, but hadn't thought of it for the heel pain.

Bye now

Gemma

Salena
Sat, Mar-30-02, 10:40
I too suffer from plantar fasciitis in my left foot. It really sucks!! I do have high arches and weigh more than I ever have. My foot started to hurt about a year ago and within 4 months from when it started, I was prescribed some custom made orthotics from my D.O. (osteopath). My feet felt better for a while but then took a turn for the worst.

At first I thought it was because of the diet, however, I found out it was from my custom made $200 orthotic sole inserts. They had over corrected my foot, so I was walking on the outside of my foot. My legs and knees were also starting to suffer. I made an appointment with a podiatrist and this is what he said:

1. Never walk barefoot or wear flip-flops!! So when I get out of bed I immediately put on my 2" high mules.
2. Get rid of such said $200 sole inserts and get an orthotic from a good athletic shoe store - ~$30 - and put them in some cross-trainers that have a firm arch (make sure they don't bend at the arch)
3. Do runner's stretches every day and practice picking up a bath towel in the seated position every night (I do this while watching tv)
4. Soak feet in hot water each day for about 30 minutes. If you have one of those vibrating acupressure foot baths, this feels really good.
5. Take this shot... Ouch!!!!! Cortizone shot hurt real bad!~$(*~

It has been 5 days since then and my foot feels much better. :p It still hurts like you know what in the mornings though. :daze:

I would like to try acupuncture but my stupid insurance company won't pay for it and I can't afford $50 each treatment. Especially when the acupuncturist recommended I do it at least 2X a week for an undisclosed amount of time.

My cousin is a physical therapist. She also recommended that I roll a tennis ball under my foot for a little while before getting out of bed. This helps to warm up that facia before placing so much weight on it. I do this in the morning, but when I go potty at night I forgo this ritual due to tiredness.

LOL

Gemma
Sat, Mar-30-02, 18:02
Hi Salena

You must have been really mad about the $200.00 orthotics! I must have been lucky. I bought the cheap ones from a shoe store first up and then later went to a podiatrist and they used a basic pre-formd sort of firm foamy plastic pair of "inner soles" that needed heating with a heat gun to soften them, then they were molded to my feet in the "corrected" position. They have been fantastic! - still quite expensive though - but cheaper then the plaster cast type that my daughter had made a few years ago. They took a plaster cast of her foot in the "corrected" position then made fibreglass 2/3 inserts that had the top surface covered in leather. They have lasted really well though, so can't complain.

I had heard about the tennis ball and also had recommended rolling a small bottle under the arch when sitting along with a range of exercises such as walking on the outsides of your feet for a couple of minutes, walking on tip toes, and a few others.

Although my pain is incredibly reduced, I still find mornings I am stiff in the feet, and after driving for more than 1/2 an hour, I get out of the car a bit stiff too. Have to remember to do the stretches before standing up in both situations, but often forget as it is just stiffness and not excruciating pain.

Will try the towel in the toes trick - I can imagine that would be a good one. The massage foot bath sounds like bliss - maybe a thought for my kids to give me for Mothers' Day!!

Bye now

Gemma

Wise1
Wed, Apr-03-02, 07:00
I have suffered for a couple of years with this and last May I had surgery for Tarsal tunnel syndrome (the facia blocked off the nerve) and then had surgery in September for the plantar fascia.

My podiatrist had tried everything, cortisone, inserts, a cam walker, narcotics, I mean everything! Unfortunately I started feeling wonderful in Jan with no pain at all so I started walking alot again...I got up to three-five miles a day. When I started the Atkins I continued walking but was having alot of hip and foot pain, come to find out my facia reattached on the left side of my left foot so I'm back to be taped and waiting for my orthotics to come in $190 ouch!

According to my Dr (he is fantastic!) I just have bad foot mechanics and it's really not something that will ever change I just roll my foot to much to the outside and I have the worst flat feet! I always have though!

Good luck with your feet, I understand the pain :)

animaldoc
Wed, Apr-03-02, 10:49
I got plantar fasciitis from my internship-too much time on my feet. The only shoes I could wear for about a year were danskos. They have a slightly raised heel and very good support.

Check out www.dansko.com

Hope this helps too!
-animaldoc :wave:

TerrieP
Wed, Apr-03-02, 15:00
I have had this problem since I broke the two bones under my big toe 15 years ago doing aerobics. They had to remove the two bones because they never healed and then my foot just didn't work right after that. I was not over weight when the problem occurred. Well, long story short, I have tried everything except surgery.

The only thing that you shouldn't do is JOG!!! I made the mistake of doing that 3 weeks ago and the pain has still not gone away.

Here's my list of home remedies:

1. Foot massage
2. Foot bath (this is great)
3. Paraffin treatment (ahhhhh)
4. Stretching
5. Aleve
6. NO BARE FEET EVER
7. No running or jumping and limit standing time
8. Ice pack after I aggrevate it
9. Never wear totally flat shoes and limit the use of any heal over 1 1/2 inches.

My dr. put in a foam arch and taped it to my foot. It felt better instantly. Went and bought those cheapo inserts and they really work!

TerrieP
Wed, Apr-03-02, 15:20
A professional pedicure always help.

(Only, get this done after most of the pain goes away.)

Gemma
Fri, Apr-05-02, 07:58
You Guys are Great! :exclm: :exclm: :exclm:

Thanks for all the great advice :roll: :roll:

Have to admit - I have never had a pedicure but it sounds lovely and I have a gift voucher which would include a pedicure instead of a manicure - :idea: think I'll do a swap!

I have also found a pair of WONDERFUL shoes/sandals - they are "Propet" Cell Cushion and absolutely wonderful :daze: - bought from my local "Foot Clinic". They are just about the best shoes I have ever owned :spin: - slight heel, velcro strap across the arch and across the "top" of the foot - above the toes. Adjustable and extremely comfortable - cushioned sole, full filled in heel (as distinct from the "sling back", so supports the heel and just wonderfully comfortable really. :D :D :D

I love the fact that now I am so far along the road to recovery, I can actually go about in BARE FEET for a whole day! Impossible before and awful for a person who loves being bare foot! :clap: :clap:

I still believe that the low carb diet reduces the body's tendency to "inflame" areas of irritation such as plantar faciitis - just my theory - but I'm sticking to it! :)

Thanks for all the wonderful advice :thup:

Bye now

TerrieP
Fri, Apr-05-02, 08:57
Bare feet can cause the foot to be reinjured, so be careful.

I would limit the barefeet. I know that after a day at the beach, my whole foot will start hurting. Teva's are a life saver! :D

Just some friendly advice!

Gemma
Fri, Apr-05-02, 09:13
Thanks Terri

Just the fact that so many people have responded to this thread has been fantastic. :thup: :D

I know that bare feet can be a major aggravation of the pain :( , but what is really fantastic for me is that I can now get through not only a day, but A WEEK-END without any pain! I used to be so aware of wearing my shoes with the inserts, but over the past six months things have improved so much I am actually without pain for days and days in a row :exclm: Sometines I have slight stiffness after driving long distances,
BUT NO REAL HEEL-PAIN :eek: .

I think I am really on the last leg of the race to recovery!

Good luck to all those other low carbers - I still believe the diet has a lot to do with recovery - protein repairs ligaments as well as muscles and so on!

Bye for now

Salena
Mon, Apr-08-02, 07:13
Thanks Gemma for the hope!! I have not yet had a full day of no pain, but at least the pain has deminished some and I walk normally. I go to the podiatrist today, hope I don't get another cortizone shot.

My uncle has the same foot problem and he says his Birkenstocks work great. Any body else experiance this?

My podiatrist said I can wear really high heels, but not low heels. It sounds like others have gotten conflicting advice on heels. I don't know which way is right. Life can be so damn confusing sometimes!!

:daze: :daze: :daze: :daze: :daze: :daze: :daze: :daze:

lastchance
Tue, Apr-09-02, 07:02
I had heel spurs - started 2 years ago. Both feet. My doctor said I could have physiotherapy which will massage it. It doesn't make it go away and if you cut if off it is likely to grow again, but what does make the pain go away is the tissue around the spur toughening up and this will happen as you walk on it. If you do nothing, he said, it will stop hurting in around 18 months. I didn't bother with the physio. I took some low level pain killers when I was out for a walk, and the internal tissue must have hardened up to protect me from the spur as it is fine now.

Good luck with yours

Sara

mary71
Sat, Apr-13-02, 08:49
I can totally relate to the bone spurs. A few years ago when I was working like 15 hours a day, I developed bone spurs. My podatrist tried everything, physical therapy, meds but ended up removing the one bone spur. I don't think that did much good but it did ease the pain somewhat. I did notice though that when I started to lose weight, my feet felt better but this week they have been bothering me a bit. I dont know if it's b/c it's been so rainy here in ny or I might need a new pair of sneaks or what. My doc said the best thing u can do is replace ur sneaks every few months (like I can afford that!)....

--mary

Lunabec
Sat, Apr-13-02, 09:55
I too, suffered from plantar facia, and I also saw the podiatrist, however I decided to give Birkenstocks a try before the just as expensive inserts, the cortisone shots or the surgery, even tho he didn't give it much of a chance. Well 2 weeks later I had no pain, and 5 years later I still had no pain tho gaining 35 pounds with pregnancy and 5 years since I STILL have no heel pain. I never looked back, and I can go 2 or 3 days wearing no support flats or flops if I wish. Plantar Facia is just a memory since Birkenstocks.
Lunabec

ferdinand
Fri, Apr-26-02, 21:58
Hi folks:

By now I feel that I am an expert on this heel spur thing. No..I doubt that the Lcarbing made the pain go away. (I have been Lcarbing since Feb 1st, and just now have a terrible flair up)

Why? ...well I have not been exercising my feet with one of those suggested exercises- they do work, have been walking on flat surfaces- bare feet, bad shoes.

Best thing to do, in my humble opinion is work that arch, keep it supported, wear the best shoes you can, do the exercises, and use the orthos!.... and it WILL get better. But you must be diligent!

I attributed my "heeling" pun intended!..... on the best shoes possible. They are orthotic shoes called Finn something (If interested I will give you the full and correct name by E-mail to anyone who wants it). They have two types of inserts, the arch support and reflexology points in the insert...Wow!..terrifice therapy there!.....One problem however...they are expensive, but they literally cured my foot. Alas I did wear them day in and day out for at least 3 months.

My foot was perfect for years - until I got lazy and vane about looking after myself.

I am back wearing my shoes and expect a "cure" imminently!

Good luck everyone!

Atrsy
Sat, Apr-27-02, 06:48
When I had this heel pain I was told that the pain isn't caused by the spur, but rather the pain causes the spur.

the doctor told me that when the area gets inflamed, the bone puts out more bone (spur) in order to protect itself. So what you really must treat is the inflamation.

I found that by raising the heel on my shoe, it took some of that pressure off the heel and put it onto the ball of my foot. That helped the pain go away. But you must stretch too. It is that shortening of the tendon that causes the problem in the first place.

Some of the exercises I did were"

Sitting with leg supported, loop a towel or belt around the foot and pull the foot toward your body.

Stand on a step with your heels hanging over the edge and drop the heel lower than the step, then raise, lower, etc.

coyote
Sat, Apr-27-02, 20:27
Hi folks,

I just thought I'd add my own two cents about this problem. Plantar fasciitis means inflamation of the plantar fascia. Plantar means the bottom of the foot. Fascia is just a name of the connective tissue that runs from the ball of your foot to your heel.

Plantar fasciitis can be caused by several things. Being overweight, an injury, an increase in activities, no arch support in your shoes, a tight achilles tendon, walking barefoot or using shoes with little cushion on hard floors, or spending too much time on your feet.

Heel spurs are not the cause of your pain. Heels spurs form as a result of plantar fasciitis. Picture this: a normal healthy foot has a nice arch to it. The plantar fascia runs along this arch. If one or more of the above listed conditions were to occur then the normal curvature of the arch gets distorted. Your arch flattens out somewhat. And since the fascia can stretch only so far you get microtears in this fascia. Where do you think these microtears take place? If you stated where the fascia attaches to the heel, then you are correct. Well of course the body wants to heal these microtears. So what does it do? It grows a little bone from the heel to the fascia. And I do mean just a little. So if you continue to wear shoes with bad arch support or if you have a really tight achilles tendons and you don't stretch it out, you will continue to have the microtears every day. Then over time you will develope a heel spur (bone growth - trying to heal those microtears)

How to treat plantar fasciitis varies from person to person. There is no magic cure all. Changing to a shoe with good arch supports, stretching, ice, and rest are a great way to start.

Of course being LC is going to take care of the overweight condition.

If you have a job where you are sitting for long periods of time then you are at risk for Plantar Fasciitis. desk jobs tend to reduce leg strength and flexibility. Stretching after prolong sitting is greatly beneficial.

You can also be treated with NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammation pills) ie. Celebrex or Vioxx are two of the newest available by prescription. Splints or straps worn during the night aid in stretching. Cortisone injections are painful to most people in this area, but will knock down the inflamation and the pain level for a while so that you can do some of the other activites (stretching, etc...) to permanently relieve this condition.

The last alternaive is surgery.

I hope this explains this problem clearly for everyone. I had a bad case of this several years ago. I switched shoes, began a streching program, took NSAIDs for a few months, Iced my feet 3 time a day and gradually (slooooowly) the problem finally disappeared.

Good Luck :)

captxray
Wed, May-01-02, 15:39
I used to suffer from PF, too because I was as big as a house full of tar. Thanks to Coyote for being so informative because I was about to ask why everybody was talking about heel spurs and PF in the same breath. I never had heel spurs. The PF was bad enough. At the same time I started LCing, I also went to an acupuncturist. He gave that inscrutible Far Eastern stare...he's actually from Oregon, just like me...and said, "AH, Yes! Plantar Faciaitis...you big tub of lard!" I knew this man was astute and knew his stuff because he called it just like it was! I was a big tub of lard. He poked me with his tiny needles and when he got to me left foot, between my big toe and the next one (whichever toe that is) I thought I was going to kick his head off and let out a scream that could be heard in Peking. After about two months of weekly treatment (listening to soft oriental music while my foot sent electric shocks up the front of my leg if I moved my finger, or blinked my eye) and LCing...no more PC! Now that I'm only a shadow of my former self (well, not exactly), and had the treatments over six months ago, I know it was mainly because I was so huge for my tiny feet.