PDA

View Full Version : Valentine's Day Party... help

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tlcdoula
Sun, Feb-10-02, 18:15
We have been invited to an party next weekend, and have been asked to bring a dish. I would like to bring something that I can eat because more often than not there is nothing for me to eat at these kinda parties...

Karen, do you have any magic up your sleeve??

Karen
Sun, Feb-10-02, 18:30
Sweet or savory? What sort of stuff do you like and what sort of people will be at this party?

Karen

tlcdoula
Sun, Feb-10-02, 18:49
Hmmm what do I want to eat LOL.. Sweet would be a nice change.. but then can I make myself only have one serving... ;)

I am not to picky... but would like to make something that wont cost me a fortune

At there New Years Party, there were lots of dips, crackers, sausage rolls, cheese platters etc. I took a spinich dip and dipped veggies in it.. but would like to bring something different this time.. It is mostly adults so we don't have to worry about food for the kiddo's ..

Thanks Karen

Karen
Sun, Feb-10-02, 19:14
I was quite enamoured of the meatballs with feta and green olives that I lived on last week. I'll post a Greek-afied recipe later on if you like. They would be great dipped in sour cream or yogurt tzatziki, if you eat yogurt.

Karen

tlcdoula
Sun, Feb-10-02, 19:18
Thanks so much Karen, Sounds like a winning tray to bring.. I'll make lots then I know I can eat ehehe...

I don't eat yogurt but do eat sour cream... :yum:

Karen
Mon, Feb-11-02, 01:17
Feta and Olive Meatballs
Makes 16

1/2 cup chopped parsley
2 Tbsp. finely chopped onion
1 lb. ground lamb or beef
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup pitted green olives, coarsely chopped
2 eggs
2 Tbsp. Tabil spice mixture or 1 tsp. dried oregano

Combine all the ingredients with your hands and shape into 16 meatballs. Place the meatballs about 2-inches apart on a baking sheet and broil, about 3-inches away from the heat until browned on top. Turn over and broil on the other side.

You don’t really need any salt in this recipe as the feta and olives provide enough. You can also fry the meatballs in olive oil, but I think broiling is easier! Try the spice mixture. It gives the meatballs a wonderful flavour. :yum:

Tabil Spice Mixture

1 1/2 Tbsp. caraway seeds
1/4 cup coriander seeds
2 dried red chilies

Roast the spices in a dry frying pan over medium heat until fragrant. Cool and finely grind in a coffee grinder.

Total Calories: 1616
Fat: 128 grams
Carbs: 22 grams
Fiber: 8 grams
Protein: 94 grams