PDA

View Full Version : Avandia: a warning

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

RobLL
Mon, May-21-07, 12:47
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18783816/

You have probably all seen this, but Avandia has been linked with significant heart problems and death. All over risk is small, The New England JOM had the article, Glaxo disputes it.

As always one should not stop taking medicines without checking with doctor. This is another argument for my observation that insulin may be the medication with the least side affects.

longway2go
Mon, May-21-07, 19:30
I suppose Avandamet is in the same family as Avandia. I am taking Avandamet and Lisinopril. While I can appreciate your view on insulin, I am not about to start sticking myself with a needle. My goal is to reduce my weight and pray that exercise and weight loss will lower my blood sugar levels sufficiently enough so that I can stop taking these meds.

That said, I am going to talk to my doctor tomorrow and ask him what he thinks of the Avandia news.

eddiemcm
Mon, May-21-07, 20:21
"This is another argument for my observation that insulin may be the medication with the least side affects."
I agree with you,Rob. I read the same thing when I was researching sulphonylureas.Most recent study that confirmed this was in 1999.
Regards
Eddie

dancinbr
Tue, May-22-07, 11:33
I have given some thought to small insulin shots rather than these meds.

I am taking Januvia once a day and Metformin between 1000g to 2000g. Still trying to find out right does for Metformin.

My readings are generally between 95-115 now; that is a tremendous improvement from a few months ago over 350 and not monitoring.

eddiemcm
Tue, May-22-07, 21:21
"My readings are generally between 95-115 now; that is a tremendous improvement from a few months ago over 350 and not monitoring."
Tremendous improvement.Congrats!!
Eddie

dancinbr
Wed, May-23-07, 08:18
"My readings are generally between 95-115 now; that is a tremendous improvement from a few months ago over 350 and not monitoring."
Tremendous improvement.Congrats!!
Eddie

Thanks.

Now, what I am wondering is whether or not this is good enough and safe !!

Versus what Dr. Bernstein says for T1 to be at 90 and for T2 at 85, but definitely below 100.

I get occasional readings each day under 100 like in the high 90s and sometimes in mid-80s, but many time I am between 100-110.

My dawn effect is still ranging between 100-130.

I am taking Januvia once a day now and it has been a help.

I am thinking of trying Byetta to see if I get same, worse or better results.

I am also taking Metformin at 1000mg in AM and 1000mg in PM. I am thinking I can reduce this as well. Need to see what happens.

I have moved quickly to much better numbers. I have dropped 25 pounds since the beginning of the year low carbing; now 273 with more to lose. I am living the low carb style; usually between 30-60 grams per day and sometimes up to 100. Occasionally, I decide to blow it outright and enjoy a treat; probably not a good idea but...

So there you go.

I am also feeling a whole lot better now as well.

Ralph

eddiemcm
Wed, May-23-07, 20:34
"My dawn effect is still ranging between 100-130."
Ditto for me-my early morning range is about
the same as yours.I think Bernstein is wrong
about harmful glucose numbers.I don't mind
seeing my postprandial(one hour) BG at 150.
Been that way for years-even before I was a
diabetic.
Regards
Eddie

dancinbr
Thu, May-24-07, 06:45
"My dawn effect is still ranging between 100-130."
Ditto for me-my early morning range is about
the same as yours.I think Bernstein is wrong
about harmful glucose numbers.I don't mind
seeing my postprandial(one hour) BG at 150.
Been that way for years-even before I was a
diabetic.
Regards
Eddie

Thanks that is good input.

I do have a T1 diabetic friend who always shoots for 100 or less, but again she is T1.

I know another T1 diabetic friend who has not always controlled her insulin closely, but does stay on top of it. She has diabetes since early childhood.

She has had minimal ill effects as a result. She has done quite well.

But, I think staying under 125 is a good objective and I can achieve that easily. Naturally, we are speaking of sustained levels. My average is now 110 since I began readings and I am getting my new A1C from my Doctor in about 2 hours from now.