PDA

View Full Version : time of day?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

pauleo
Mon, May-21-07, 07:36
I thought I had read somewhere that BG control is at its worst in the morning (can't recall if that was just for diabetics or for all), but I now cannot find where I read it. In fact, when I googled around I found some hits that said quite the opposite for non-diabetics - studies that showed a faster return to normal BG after meal in the morning. Can anyone set me straight on this - did I imagine or incorrectly remember the thing about BG control being worse in the morning?

Daryl
Mon, May-21-07, 17:35
Were you reading about dawn phenomenon? If so, here's some info:

http://www.diabetic-talk.org/dp.htm

Dr. Bernstein also talks about how exercising early can, for some people, make their blood sugar go up.

NorthPeace
Mon, May-21-07, 21:56
I read somewhere in Bernstein (cf the Chinese restaurant syndrome) where Phase 1 insulin response is triggered by eating. Having breakfast may trigger this insulin response and bring the dawn effect under control.

eddiemcm
Tue, May-22-07, 04:27
"Having breakfast may trigger this insulin response and bring the dawn effect under control."
Phase 1 insulin response is defective/nonexistant in most type 2 diabetics.Eating
a breakfast with moderate amount of carbs
(20 or so)will trigger delayed insulin release
which helps the dawn phenomena subside but
it takes hours.Bernstein's 6 gram carb breakfast
doesn't work for a large number of type 2's.
Bernstein is a type 1 who takes insulin-he walks
a very different road than a lot of type 2's-especially
those who exercise a lot.I should qualify that by
saying that some type 2's adhere to his diet regimen
and seem to be happy with their results.Not me!
Medium carb diet(60 or less a day) works best for me.
Eddie

dancinbr
Wed, May-23-07, 08:27
"Having breakfast may trigger this insulin response and bring the dawn effect under control."
Phase 1 insulin response is defective/nonexistant in most type 2 diabetics.Eating
a breakfast with moderate amount of carbs
(20 or so)will trigger delayed insulin release
which helps the dawn phenomena subside but
it takes hours.Bernstein's 6 gram carb breakfast
doesn't work for a large number of type 2's.
Bernstein is a type 1 who takes insulin-he walks
a very different road than a lot of type 2's-especially
those who exercise a lot.I should qualify that by
saying that some type 2's adhere to his diet regimen
and seem to be happy with their results.Not me!
Medium carb diet(60 or less a day) works best for me.
Eddie

I try to walk Dr. Bernsteins' diet of 6-12-12, but I usually end up around 30-60 grams a day. I am T2. And yes I find that I need to have a breakfast to "end" the dawn effect. I can get up in the morning and my BFG will be 120 or so and then have my 2-3 eggs with one piece of lite toast by 11:30am my BG is down to 100 or less and that is before I go out and walk. I find walking does lower my BG as well.

It is interesting to hear that Dr. B's 6-12-12 isn't for all diabetics. I have his new book and have read it. I am hoping to approach a life with minimal meds, good low carb eating and decent exercise at least 4 times a week and hopefully find good numbers.

Then the debate over a "safe" number. Dr. B talks about never going over 100; well that isn't working so far and maybe it will or won't. The ADA talks about 125 BG as the high end threshold and we are talking about sustained readings two hours after eating.

So, my journey continues. Hopefully, as more weight comes off many things will improve. I have dropped 25 pounds since the beginning of the 2007 year.

I am now 273 and heading downward for awhile. I generally am in the 30-60g carb range.

Good discussion.

Another good place to read up on lots of info online is Jenny's place. I need to go visit more often as well.

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/

Ralph