PDA

View Full Version : 2/09/02 1st day on Atkins

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jfowler367
Sun, Feb-10-02, 06:55
Yesterday was the 1st day for me on the Atkins diet. I took alot of grief from my husband who told me that this diet wouldn't work for me and that I was going to end up with more health problems by intaking the fats(instead of the fruits), but then he picked up the book and read about how it worked to lower some of the other atkin's dieters cholesterol and he immediately wanted to start this with me. I was very good yesterday, for the 1st time in months I wasn't hungry an hour after I ate, I truly was satisfied with the foods that pasted my lips. I did however have a horrible sweet tooth, that I was able to work through by drinking tons and tons of water(which was something I never did). I really need this to work for me I have gained 40 pounds in 4 months due to a hypoglycemic problem and I thought I was eating the right foods but was not.

I just have one more question Does anyone have a weekly/monthly menu that they followed I have seen the receipes but I know it would be better for me if I actually had a sample menu to work from. :wave:

tofi
Sun, Feb-10-02, 07:27
Hello there jfowler and welcome to the board. For LOTS of menus, go to the Journals/Boot Camp section and click on any of the subsections. (A to B, T to Z etc.) then browse the members' journals. Many people post daily menus (along with other info) for their own information but invite visits and comments from others. This should give you lots of ideas.

If you are just starting, I'd really recommend that you KISS (Keep It Simple, Sweetie) and follow the book religiously. The low carb way of eating (WOE) is based on chemistry: your liver WILL know if you eat either too many carbs or the wrong kind of carbs and you won't lose. Only eat what's on the Induction List and only in the right quantities (where that 's important.) Drink the water & take some vitamins etc.

The great thing about Atkins is that you can eat SO well and eat SO much WONDERFUL food. That's why there are no set menus.

You may have a couple of difficult days in the first week, but you already have done the right thing. When cravings hit, drink lots of water and EAT MEAT. There is no limit on meats and no craving can stand up to having meat stuffed in the mouth. They'll leave and you'll wonder why you ever craved 'em in the first place.

Use a salt substitute to keep the potassium levels up (No Salt or Half Salt - available at the grocery store). The water flow through takes out lots of potassium and might give you a 'weak' feeling. If you get a headache, use Tylenol. If you are really hooked on coffee, start out by cutting down or adding some decaf to the mix. But all these side effects are actually positive signs that you are converting from insulin overload to burning fat. Tough it out to the end of the first week and you'll be amazed.

It is wonderful that you DH is with you on this - he'll lose faster than you (MEN!) but you won't have the shakes or mood swings or ravening hunger that all those carbs cause.

All the best.

BarB

cori
Sun, Feb-10-02, 07:29
On making it through your first day! I think getting started is always the hardest part! I'm glad your husband jumped on board too. Those hubbies can be your best friend or your worst enemy when you are dieting. Keep up the good work!

I think there is a sample induction menu in the Atkins book, but I don't have mine here at home, so I can't give you page numbers. Sorry!