PDA

View Full Version : For us MEXICAN FOOD JUNKIES!!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Nellie
Sat, Feb-09-02, 21:59
I am a mexican food junkie. Boy how I miss Taco Bell! But I did come up with this alternative:

I made these GREAT low carb tortillias from Low Carb Luxury

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipes/recipe-bread22.html

*Hint: you can roll these out really thin if you put the dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper. I can get mine about 8" wide!

These are 1000 times better than the soy ones, and much cheaper than the store-bought kind. They freeze really well too!

I have made chips and Tostada shells by frying the finished tortillas in a little veg. oil in a skillet for a minute. They come out nice and crispy! 1.7 carbs each! I cut them in 6 wedges before frying for chips. I have made some great nachoes with seasoned taco meat, a bit of refried beans, sour cream, lettuce and salsa! and some bean dip!

Cheesy bean dip![U]
2 T. refried beans
1/4 cup cheddar cheese
1 to 3 T. enchilada sauce, red sauce, or salsa would be good too!

N Nuke for a minute 'till melted. I also spread it on tostada shells and top with sour cream, lettuce and tomato. :yum:

I always keep a can of ench. sauce in the fridge. It's great over just about anything for a quick meal. My favorites:

Ench sauce over:

-Chopped cooked chicken or turkey in an omelet

-Hamburger and green beans

-Salad, for a change of pace.

Anyone else have any other favorite Mexican food recipes? I'd love to see 'em!

Nellie

Deirdre
Sat, Feb-09-02, 22:07
These are 1000 times better than the soy ones, and much cheaper than the store-bought kind. They freeze really well too!

Did you use something other than the soy powder in the recipe?

Nellie
Sat, Feb-09-02, 22:19
I guess I was talking about soy flour, not the soy protien isolate! These don't have a soy tasted to them, or suck all the moisture out of your mouth! I really dislike soy flour, the bread recipes I've tried come out soooo...sooo Spongy!