PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here use the Atkins Bake Mix?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Gabrielle
Fri, Feb-08-02, 08:44
I've seen the Atkins bake mix, but haven't tried it yet. Does anyone here use it? I know I've tried the Atkins bars and thought they were horrible. If the baking mix is any taste like the bars, I definately don't want it. Any comments would be helpful.

Gabrielle

agonycat
Fri, Feb-08-02, 08:49
I have to be honest. Since starting Atkin's back in April of last year I have stayed clear of any and all baked goods. Reason being is I don't feel right substituting a high carb product for a low carb one. They never taste as good as the original, which could tempt you into going for the real thing.

That is just me though. :)

Natrushka
Fri, Feb-08-02, 08:57
Gabrielle, I've got a tin of the bake mix (I've had it for about 5 months) It's 'not bad' but I've found that I can use soy protein isolate and almond flour in place of it in the few things I bake and it comes out tasting just the same (at a fraction of the cost)

If you do some hunting around the recipe forum, and online, you'll find there are a lot of recipes that use things like almond flour (just ground up almonds) whey protein, soy protein, arrowroot flour, etc which you can buy in bulk. Atkins' mix is convenient from time to time, but it is also costly.

Nat

Gabrielle
Fri, Feb-08-02, 09:00
Temptation isn't my problem. My problem is my system is so sensitive to all kinds of foods that I am trying to make my choices more. Right now, my choices are very very few.

Natrushka,

Thank you. I'll definately search the recipes. I have finally found a source for almond flour, I've just not ordered it yet. And I use soy all the time. It's the one flour I have been able to get my system to agree to. :)

klynne
Fri, Feb-08-02, 09:01
I broke down and bought the bake mix yesterday at my grocery store for $12.99. I made pancakes with it this morning following a recipe I got off of LowCarb friends webpage. I was a little disapointed, the pancakes looked great but tasted kind of like a sponge. It was very filling, maybe a little too much so after not eating things like that for over a month! Also, pancakes just aren't pancakes without maple syrup but I couldn't find any low-carb at the store--they had Log Cabin made with Splenda but it still had tons of carbs (about 20 I think). I used Davinci Syrup and Atkin's Chocolate syrup but they just didn't cut it.

I am giving up on the pancakes, but I read that I might be able to make pizza crust with it so that will be my next project! ;)

Kristie

Natrushka
Fri, Feb-08-02, 09:07
Gabrielle, you can make your own almond flour if you're up to it - it's pretty easy and this way you only make what you need. I grind up almonds in an extra coffee grinder I picked up at wal-mart. Grinders are great for grinding up flax seeds as well for flax breafast cereal/porridge.

Nat

Gabrielle
Fri, Feb-08-02, 09:13
Natrushka,

Thanks. I do have a food processor that could grind them up just fine. The one thing I've noticed though is that almonds are so expensive and that the flour might be more economical for me to buy since I'm on a low income budget. That's another problem with special diets and a low budget. The diets are more expensive than the income. LOL. I'll definately have to try it both ways and see which one I like best. Thanks for the idea. :)

Gabrielle

Natrushka
Fri, Feb-08-02, 09:22
Originally posted by Gabrielle
The diets are more expensive than the income. LOL.

Gabrielle, you might want to take a look at this discussion about the cost of LC. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23152) It's good food for thought ;)

Nat

Gabrielle
Fri, Feb-08-02, 09:50
Thank you. I'll defiately take a peek at it. :)

Deirdre
Fri, Feb-08-02, 09:57
I bought one can of it and I thought it was horrible! I think I just tried making pancakes and blueberry muffins and threw them out. Waste of money in my opinion! The only baking I do (and that's not much!) is with ground almonds, or pork rinds for pancakes.

Gabrielle
Fri, Feb-08-02, 14:11
I'll have to try the ground almonds or almond flour then. Not sure I can handle pork rinds, but I can get a bag and try them. Most stuff like that usually has MSG, or some other chemical, my system can't handle to well.

Gabrielle

Natrushka
Fri, Feb-08-02, 14:19
Originally posted by Gabrielle
I'll have to try the ground almonds or almond flour then. Not sure I can handle pork rinds, but I can get a bag and try them. Most stuff like that usually has MSG, or some other chemical, my system can't handle to well.

I'm pretty sure that pork rinds are just deep fried pork skin and salt. Pay no mind to what they taste like - they are amazing when you bake with them. I have made cookies and served them to unsuspecting friends and family and made them guess what they were made of ;) They make a great breading as well. And I havent tried it but I've heard the French Toast is out of this world.

Nat

Gabrielle
Fri, Feb-08-02, 14:31
Natrushka,

My problem isn't with the porkrinds, it's with the chemicals most put in them. Like MSG, for one, or other things that really sets of my system. BUT, I'll take a look in our local health food stores. Maybe they have some there that I can handle. :)

I am still trying to find a source of beef that hasn't had hormones or medication, but that's hard to find. And the local markets have beef that has been on all kinds of stuff. :(

Gabrielle

shadowlady
Mon, Apr-15-02, 17:28
I HAVE USED IT AND ITS OKAY I GUESS, MY HUSBAND HATED IT! I FOUND THE SHAKE MIX TO BE TERRIBLE HARD TO GET THE CLUMPS OUT TOO UNLESS U USE A BLENDER. ALL IN ALL I THINK THAT ITS TOLERABLE!
SHADOWLADY :wave:

mtnbkmark
Tue, Apr-16-02, 12:33
I've tried the pancake and the muffix mix. I like the taste of both. I just wish they weren't so dang gum expensive! I definitely don't like the shake mix. Now if I could just find some good low carb pasta!

shadowlady
Tue, Apr-16-02, 12:54
ATKINS SELLS GOOD LOW CARB PASTA, I LIKED IT :cheer: BUT MY HUSBAND COULDN'T STAND IT :Puke: :wave:
SHADOWLADY

vbrowne
Tue, Apr-16-02, 13:36
I've seen low carb pasta advertised on TV. I also found a website that offers it - it's in the UK, but I'm sure if you look around you could find it in the States.

http://www.lowcarbchocolate.co.uk/page20.html

I crave pasta sometimes too, but will hold off until the fall and I get closer to my goal.

brandiet
Wed, Apr-17-02, 15:00
I have tried the Adkins bake mix, blue berry muffins, and syrup. The pancakes are OK...I will eat them maybe once a week. It is too expensive for me to eat them more....
The blue berry muffins were really good! My kids loved them! The syrup is a little watery but, when you haven't eaten syrup in a while it will do. I tried making bread from the recipie on the can of Adkins bread mix and it turned out horrible. I don't know if it was me or maybe I need a little more practice. I threw the entire load in the garbage.

DWRolfe
Wed, Apr-17-02, 15:40
I bought a tin of the Bake Mix about 6 weeks ago but still haven't tried it...

I have tried Atkins Blueberry Muffin Mix though and I like it. I jut have 1/2 a muffin with butter with my breakfast now and then and it's a nice treat. I keep the muffins frozen though as I her they can turn bad really quicklyif left at room temp.

BTW, go ahead and try that pork rind French Toast. You'll be pleasantly surprised!

Donald :wave:

TX_Mama
Wed, Apr-17-02, 16:46
I recently bought a can of Atkins bake mix. I knew there must be a cheaper method. Thanks for the suggestions, Nat.

I made muffins with walnuts. I thought they were pretty good when soaked with real butter. I even used them for desserts. They were the "shortcake" in my strawberry shortcake.

froedrich
Wed, Apr-17-02, 21:39
You can purchase Atkins bake mix online from Vitaglo.com for $6.89 per can. Any order of $20 or more, and the shipping is free. I ordered 3 cans ($20.67), and it arrived in about a week. Not bad, from New York to California, tax free too. Beats the supermarket price of $13 +! The website is also a great source for a huge number of other discounted low-carb products as well. Best prices on the net for many items. Definitely worth checking out!