PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas of what to make my son's popsicles out of

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Gabrielle
Fri, Feb-08-02, 07:29
My son loves popsicles so I normally make his. Any ideas of what I could make them out of and have them no sugar and low carb for him? Kinda out of ideas.

Thanks,

Gabrielle

agonycat
Fri, Feb-08-02, 07:31
How about kool-aid sweetened with Splenda instead of sugar?

:)

Natrushka
Fri, Feb-08-02, 07:58
Sounds weird, Gabrielle but I made them out of SF jello once and they looked pretty good. I only did it once because I decided I didnt like the jello (frozen or otherwise).

Nat

Gabrielle
Fri, Feb-08-02, 08:10
Great ideas. Thanks. The jello sounds like a wonderful idea.

agonycat
Fri, Feb-08-02, 08:21
Sugar free jello normally is sweetened with Aspartame, which in Dr Atkin's new book he says to stay away from.

So be careful on that one. :)

Gabrielle
Fri, Feb-08-02, 08:47
Good point. Thanks. I have to totally agree on Dr. Atkins on that one. The Aspertame totally messes me up both in keytosis and mentally thanks to chonic hypoglacemia.

Deb
Fri, Feb-08-02, 12:03
:idea: Why not try Davinci splenda sweetened syrups(fruit flavours) and dilute w/ water. They would truly be carb free then because the syrups made with liquid Splenda have absolutely no carbs whatsoever. Neither does the water :D

Deb

agonycat
Fri, Feb-08-02, 12:07
Most of the unsweetened kool-aid flavors are zero carbs as well. Plus it's a bit cheaper I think than those syrups. :D

Deb
Fri, Feb-08-02, 12:13
agonycat: When i look at the ingredient list for unsweetened Koolaid powders, i always see sugar in the list. I am unsure of how much sugar is in there and the ones i see don't have any serving breakdown.

Are there particular flavours which don't contain sugar? Please let me know as I am interested in this for my own reference>

Deb

agonycat
Fri, Feb-08-02, 12:40
Are you sure you are selecting the unsweetened Kool-aid? There are two types, unsweetened and pre sweetened. The pre-sweetened comes in bigger packs. I don't have any kool-aid on hand at the moment to check, but as I recall the unsweetened is just that.....no added sugar or anything else. It's pretty nasty without some type of sweetener (very sour).

If I can find any packs in my cupboard I will post the info. I am currently trying to find it online.

Gabrielle
Fri, Feb-08-02, 14:17
I wasn't to impressed with Splenda. So far, I basically just don't use any sugar, substitute or otherwise, but I have used Stevia the most I think when I have used it. It's rare though because it can be so over powering. But maybe stevia would work with my son. And I do have some in the cupboard from where I tried it.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas.

Gabrielle

Natrushka
Fri, Feb-08-02, 14:29
Gabrielle, try mixing two sweetners to get a better taste; this will allow you to use even less of each. It's something you pick up from reading the LC recipes. Sweetners tend to complement each other and the end product is usually quite pleasing.

Nat

Gabrielle
Fri, Feb-08-02, 14:39
Cool. I never thought about mixing the sweetners. I'll have to give that one a try and see what happens. :)

Gabrielle

kimberjeb
Fri, Feb-08-02, 16:08
why don't you try using Crystal Light drink mix and making that into popsicles. It sounds good to me, though I haven't tried it.

agonycat
Fri, Feb-08-02, 16:13
Crystal light is also sweetened with Aspartame :(

Gabrielle
Fri, Feb-08-02, 16:23
Yeah, unfortunately a Aspertame is in a lot of things. And it has been scientifcially shown, at least so it says in the reports, that it turns to fermaldahyde in the blood stream. And I"m WAY to young to be embalmed yet. LOL.

Gabrielle