PDA

View Full Version : High carbs in Home made Chicken Broth

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mrking
Tue, Apr-24-07, 11:18
huh...

Soup, stock, chicken, home-prepared = 8.7g carbs

Water, chicken, carrots, celery, bay leaves, spices, salt. All boiled and strained into a nice golden liquid.

Can it really have 8.7 carbs per cup?

The one carrot I put in only has 5.8 grams and the 2 celery stalks add up to 2.4 grams. That would total 8.2g if eaten. But boiled in a soup and strained, would all the carbs be retained in the broth alone?

Kisal
Tue, Apr-24-07, 19:22
IMHO, it's quite possible that the sugar carbs contained in the carrot might have cooked into the broth, but a lot of the carbs in the celery come from fiber, which you removed when you strained the broth. As I say, JMHO.

Did you enter this recipe into My P.L.A.N.? If so, it should give you a count for total fiber, as well as total carbs. You could subtract the fiber from the carbs to get the net carbs, as is usually done.