PDA

View Full Version : Howdy! And here I go!!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

rodeogirl
Thu, Feb-07-02, 14:41
Well, here I go with the induction. Can't say that it's gonna be easy, but I can say that I am determined!

My basic menus will be meat, eggs, veggies and salads. The problem comes with the muchies. I'm a snacker. I like to pick at little finger popper items all day! Don't know and haven't heard a good cure for that!

It seems as long as I'm busy moving around, riding my horses, roping, I don't snack or eat a whole lot. Unfortunately, my job is VERY sedentary (sp?), which definitely makes me snackie.

Hopefully I can get some help and suggestions from all you experienced LCers!

Rodeogirl :confused:

allisonm
Thu, Feb-07-02, 15:22
Welcome rodeogirl! :wave:

Your name caught my eye -- I love rodeo! My favorite events are saddle broncs and calf-roping. Bull riding is too stressful for me. Do you compete?

You asked for advice from experienced LCers. I've lost around 90 pounds (I haven't weighed for a couple of weeks) and have learned a lot. I'd like to suggest that you keep up your nibbling habit. Don't quit. Just make sure that it's the right stuff: sugarless beef jerky, pork rinds, cheese, chunks of chicken breast, salami, raw non-starchy veggies, etc.

One thing that we've all learned the hard way is that with this way of eating it rarely pays off to go low-cal. You need a minimum amount of protein to prevent losing lean body mass, you need a minimum number of calories to prevent slowing down your metabolism. The general rule of thumb is to multiply your current body weight in pounds by 10 - 12 to give the MINIMUM number of calories you need daily. In other words, you should at AT LEAST 1450 - 1740 calories a day.

Snacking is especially good because if the food is distributed over the course of the day it has less impact on your blood sugar and consequently, your insulin. Check out the threads on the "sticky" in newbie questions to find the formula for minimum protein requirements.

If you start a journal and post your menus, the hardcore gurus will come around and give you feedback and help you refine your program.

Hope to see you around!

Allison

rodeogirl
Thu, Feb-07-02, 15:32
Wow! Allison it was so nice of you to post back! Thanks for the advice, I need lots of guidance. But I thought cheese was kind of a no-no on induction? Maybe my understanding is just enough to get me in trouble! I thought on induction I was supposed to stay in my calorie range and at or below 20 g of carbs per day, mostly by eating meats, veggies, salad and eggs (which I don't like). Help!?!?

Yes, I compete in barrel racing. I go to open and semi-pro rodeos in Texas. Louisiana, Oklahoma. I have a pic of me and my horse but can't figure out how to get it under my user name! Still too new!

I look forward to 'visiting' with you again! :wave:

Jennifer

allisonm
Thu, Feb-07-02, 16:02
Atkins has made some changes in his new book; I'm more familiar with the older version. If he now says cheese is a no-no for induction, go with that. After induction it would be best to be careful with cheese. A few people (ususally women) can't lose when they eat cheese; most people can handle a few ounces.

Did you know that you're supposed to subtract the fiber from the total carb count to give the effective carb count (ECC), and use that? So if your veggie has 5 grams of total carbs, and 2 gms of those are fiber, you only add 3 gms of carbs (ECC) toward your 20 gms for the day.

One of the most important pieces of information that you can learn from this site is about hidden carbs. None of the LC books mention them. Go to the orange bar at the top of the page, click on "Low Carb Tips", read about hidden carbs there. Then use the hidden carb tool on the same orange bar under "Low Carb Tools". This information mainly applies to engineered low-carb products, not stuff you'll eat on induction. I thought of it though because some products are now pre-subtracting the fiber from their total carb count. The tool I mentioned will help you figure that out.

Originally posted by rodeogirl

Yes, I compete in barrel racing. I go to open and semi-pro rodeos in Texas. Louisiana, Oklahoma. Very cool. How about New Mexico? :)

Allison

rodeogirl
Thu, Feb-07-02, 16:09
I'll have to re-read that section of my book about cheese on induction! I could be hallucinating. More info leads to better choices!

I do need to apologize, I didn't CONGRATULATE you on your 90lb weight loss!! That is fantastic! You should be very proud!

I'm worried about my munchies and worried that I may get really, really bored with the same thing all the time. And the challenges of trying to eat out/on the road.

New Mexico is a pretty hard trip, about 12 hours. I have been out there, N.M. and AZ, rodeoing, but it's usually when I take vacation and can be gone for a week or so at a time.

Thanks for the direction on the carb counting, already learned something new here!

Jennifer

Rosebud
Thu, Feb-07-02, 18:39
Hi Rodeogirl!
Welcome to the forum! :Party:
You can have cheese on Induction: 4 oz per day.
Otherwise, you're spot on with the meat etc.
Allison gave you some great advice: have lots of nibbles of chunks of chicken etc.
Half the battle is planning; if you have heaps of legal nibbles on hand you won't be so tempted to dip into the bad stuff.
Good luck, matey!

:rose:Rosebud:rose: