PDA

View Full Version : Kinda stupid question re: 20 gr carb on Induction

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tammay
Wed, Feb-06-02, 22:30
I posted this actually as part of another thread but I'm afraid it may have gotten embedded in it. Someone was answering a question and mentioned something about "20 gr/carbs of vegetables a day on Induction". I read the new Atkins book and that's the part that confused me because although he states that most of your carbs will come from allowable vegetables, I'm seeing that other food have a lot more carbs than the veggies I'm eating (like cheese and eggs) because I'm counting the carbs in everything towards the 20. Am I not doing this right? Should I only be counting the carbs in the veggies he lists towards my 20 grams? It's been bothering me that the veggies are so limited in induction (and I've reread the OWL chapter and it's not looking like it's any more) and I'm talking about green veggies and such other low-carb veggies (such as broccoli, cauliflower, okra, and mushrooms).

Any response would be most appreciated!

Tam

doreen T
Thu, Feb-07-02, 01:35
hi Tam,

Not a stupid question. I think I recall the discussioin you're referring to, and I believe that the "eat 20g carbs of vegetables" was given as a general encouragement to someone who wasn't eating any veggies at all. This recommendation of course goes along with reading the program book for specific guidelines :)

I don't have the 2002 edtion of DANDR yet, but the most recent prior to that states your 20g carbs will come from all sources, meaning the cheese, eggs, cream and packets of sweetener must be accounted for in the 20g total. However, when selecting vegetables, try to choose those that are high in fiber. You may subtract the grams of fiber from the total, since it's not absorbed and does not contribute carbs or calories. For example, one cup of broccoli has 4.6g total carbs, but 2.6 is fiber. So you count 2g net carbs. Spinach is the king of lowcarb veggies .. great cooked and raw in salads. 1/2 of a 10 oz bag has 4.9g total carb, minus 3.8g fiber .. so only 1.1g net carbs.

If you are working with a previous version of Atkins, it's still the same diet, but a few new rules introduced in the 2002 edition .. such as limiting cheese to 3 - 4 oz daily, cream to 3 - 4 Tbsp and NO nuts. And you can subtract fiber grams, which means more veggies :thup:

Doreen

Natrushka
Thu, Feb-07-02, 07:49
Originally posted by doreen T
If you are working with a previous version of Atkins, it's still the same diet, but a few new rules introduced in the 2002 edition .. such as limiting cheese to 3 - 4 oz daily, cream to 3 - 4 Tbsp and NO nuts. And you can subtract fiber grams, which means more veggies :thup:

Do, is that "NO nuts" for the complete plan? Or just for Induction? (I have to get this book next)

Nat

Jennie64
Thu, Feb-07-02, 08:50
I'm having a hard time making sure I'm eating enough carbs per day. I'm still on induction, so I'm shooting for 20. I didn't even know about subtracting the fiber grams...Help!!! Not sure how to do that. Is it all on the package of food? So now I'm thinking I'm getting even less carbs then I thought.

Natrushka
Thu, Feb-07-02, 09:20
Jennie, you will have to use a carb counter book or an online site such as www.fitday.com to get the fiber count for your foods. While some labels include it - not all do. There's a great carb counter on this site under Low Carb Tools that you can use as well.

Nat

ruby
Thu, Feb-07-02, 10:16
Nat,
No nuts is just during induction. After that he's quite wild about nuts for snacks - especially macadamia nuts which are higher in protein and fat than others and a carb bagrain. He says they're his favourite.

Bye :wave:

Natrushka
Thu, Feb-07-02, 10:32
Thx, Ruby. They used to be my fav too, until I made Karen's No Bake vancouver cheesecake and tasted burnt almonds. :yum:

N

doreen T
Thu, Feb-07-02, 11:00
Sorry for the confusion .. thankyou Ruby .... No nuts during Induction with the 2002 edition of DANDR.

I suppose it would be best for me to make a trip to Chapters bookstore and pick up my own copy of this latest book, rather than going by hearsay. :rolleyes:

Doreen

tammay
Thu, Feb-07-02, 11:24
Thanks Doreen! I hadn't thought of it that way (about the fiber subtraction). I've been doing it but I just didn't think about it in those terms. Guess I'll be revising my menus!

Tam

Ellen532
Sun, Feb-10-02, 09:56
Where do I get Karen's recipe for the cheese cake. I have a wedding shower on Sunday and I'm making crustless quiche and and spinach salad, the cheese cake will make a great compliment.
Thanks, Ellen

Karen
Sun, Feb-10-02, 09:59
Ellen, click low carb recipes at the top of the page. It's called No-Bake Vancouver Cheesecake.

Karen