PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ops
Tue, Apr-17-07, 17:42
I came on here cause I have a question about the atkins diet, my name is kurt when i was in school i lost 39 pounds on this diet so i could wrestle but whenever i get on it now i get voilently ill about 3-5 days later....anyone got any reasons why that happens, every time i try to get back on atkins i get extremely ill...some insight or help would be nice

katwoman
Tue, Apr-17-07, 20:22
Have you stayed on it beyond the illness feelings? Many people go through what we not so fondly call the induction flu--headaches, nausea, etc. that are the result of withdrawal from carbs and the body detoxing. The good news is, it doesn't really take that long (for most people) to weather the storm if they just stick it out.

My first time on Atkins those symptoms weren't too bad. Then I got off--regained--and when I restarted last January it was rough.

Kisal
Tue, Apr-17-07, 23:19
Hello and welcome to the forums, Luke!

Hmmm ... I looked at your profile, and all you listed was 111 ... for everything, including your height! I guess you would have put in 111 for your gender, too, if you could have. :lol: I can't help but wonder, why all the secrecy? No need to be shy here, for goodness sakes! We're all here for the same reason, after all. :)

You list "none" for LC books you have read. If you want to follow Dr. Atkins' Nutritional Plan -- commonly know as the "Atkins Diet," but which, in fact, must be a permanent lifestyle change -- then you should obtain and read one of his books. They are easily available on eBay, at thrift stores, used-book stores, and Amazon.com sells them for $0.01. The books are available in most libraries, too, although having your own copy would be a big advantage to you, because you would not only know what to do and when to do it, you would understand the "why" of it all.

Oh, yes. Katwoman is 100% correct. The "illness" is called the Induction Flu, and rarely lasts more than 3 or 4 days. If you get a headache, Excedrin Migraine seems to give many people relief. If you experience tiredness and/or muscle aches, it's most likely because the first 2 weeks on Atkins has a strong diuretic effect, which can leave your body short on potassium, magnesium, and other important minerals. Dr. A. recommended that anyone who followed his plan also take supplementary vitamins and minerals.

HTH!. :wave: