PDA

View Full Version : Not sure

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

roxygirl82
Mon, Apr-16-07, 18:06
Hello!
I'm new to all of this. I am looking around noticing that there are a ton of people on the Atkins diet. I tried it for a week and never got so sick before! So I thought that I should stop doing that. So I have decided that I am going to try something else.

I just thought that I would see what has been working for everyone else, cuz I need to get my tummy back!

Cissie_12
Mon, Apr-16-07, 18:10
Both my dh and myself do Low Carb. We have never followed the Atkins diet, just stick to 20 carbs. or less per day average. You might give this woe a try. Works well for us and I did the same a few years back with a friend and we both lost and felt great then as well. IF you are interested, feel free to look through my journal.

Good luck to you in whatever you choose!

roxygirl82
Mon, Apr-16-07, 19:47
Thanks!
Anyone else have anything that works??? Carb counting doesn't sound too bad. Where did you come up with the number 20?

Kimfort
Mon, Apr-16-07, 20:39
Under 20 carbs in the induction stage of Atkins.

As for how sick you got, that is pretty normal. It's your body going through carb-withdrawl. Your body is learning how to burn your fat for energy instead of the carbs you used to consume. It usually passes after a couple of days. I've been doing low-carb for 13 years and when I fall off the wagon I get the same sickness when I get back onplan for a day or two. It does go away though, and low-carbing allows you to eat a lot more real food (beef, chicken, seafood, eggs, cheese, bacon, butter, veggies, etc) and not worry so much about calories - especially until you are really close to goal.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Kisal
Tue, Apr-17-07, 00:46
Welcome, Roxygirl! Happy to have you join us on the forums. :wave:

connie7
Tue, Apr-17-07, 11:35
The sickness you felt is called "induction flu" and lots of us get it. Actually, it's kinda a good thing, as they say your body is ridding itself of all those bad toxins and adjusting to a new way of working, burning fat (from your body!) instead of carbs (from your diet) for fuel. It takes a few days, but if you wait it out, you'll feel much better, and be a few pounds lighter also! You might try reading the Atkins book -- can be obtained very cheaply through eBay. He explains everything and understanding the metabolic reasoning of WHY this works helped me a lot. Welcome to the forum. Don't be afraid to ask questions! We're here to help you! Welcome!