PDA

View Full Version : Lo carbing has improved my diabetic life unbelievably!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Fyberspace
Mon, Apr-02-07, 13:26
Hi,all-I'm so happy to meet all of you. I'm new to this forum, but have been on this lo carb diet for a month now, and I still LOVE IT. In fact, I no longer consider it a 'diet', but simply my 'way of eating'. I have been a diabetic since age 15, on insulin for the past 40 yrs., and have struggled w/ the typical ADA 'balanced' diet for all that time....seemed my appetite was uncontrollable, esp. CARBS! I'd actually do better fasting all day than I would eating BF, lunch and dinner and trying not to snack in between. I recently got an insulin pump to help regulate my blood sugars, but the truth is, the pump is of no use to me if I cannot control my appetite. I wanted to try no/lo carbs, but wasnt sure if it'd work w/ the diabetes. That's how my research led me to Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetic Diet"...what a EUREKA moment!
On 12-15 carbs/day, my blood sugars have all been w/in normal range (testing 4-5x/day), I am NEVER hungry in between meals,and satisfied at each meal...WHO KNEW?? I don't miss the pasta, potatoes, bread and chips at all, because I finally realize...they never realize satisfied me, but instead, all they do is make me want more and more and more(and as we all know, that bag of chips gets empty eventually) Anyway, I just love this new life style. I think, if there are any other diabetics out there who can't seem to stick w/ the typical precribed diet, do give the low carb a try. Plus, altho my wt. really is not an issue (140#), I'm pleased that I actually lost 2 lbs. in the 4 wks. that Ive followed this diet. The recipes in here are terrific, and your personal journeys are so inspiring. Great to meetcha. :wave:

fatnewmom
Mon, Apr-02-07, 13:34
The ADA recommended diet for diabetics seems really complicated and illogical. Why are carbs even recommended for diabetics? I've never really understood that. Have you had any periods of hypoglycemia while low carbing? Do you check your sugars regularly? I would be interested in knowing what the values typically are while low-carbing, compared to while on the ADA diet.

Fyberspace
Mon, Apr-02-07, 13:54
Good question about the hypos--since Im still adjusting my daily insulin dose to fewer carbs, I do have occational low's and treat them w/ juice w/ quick relief. But overall, my BG's range from 85-125 (testing 4x/day) However, before the lo carbs, I was testing 8-9x/day because they were all over the map!..mostly due to my constant eating..especially at nite! So, if I had a reading of 200, I'd program my pump to give the appropriate amt. of insulin, but then I'd be hungry again and start eating and never get em down to normal. It was a vicious circle. But now, each meal consists of meat, and about 2 cups of veggies (1 cup hot veggies, 1 cup salad)==12 carbs, and suddenly the cravings and hunger is gone...such a relief to finally be in control of my diabetes and finally...my appetite!

Kisal
Mon, Apr-02-07, 20:10
Welcome, Fyberspace! Glad you have joined us! :wave: