PDA

View Full Version : How do you cook bacon

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

droppin
Wed, Mar-28-07, 16:25
I love bacon and want it badly but I have gout and dont want to fry it I tried the micowave but it stuck to the papertowel is there a way to get bacon, without frying it?

mikeyroy
Wed, Mar-28-07, 16:28
I take a package of bacon and cook it on a cooling rack with a large foil lined cookie sheet beneath it at 350° for 25-30 min. The package suggests higher temps with shorter times, but I find that more fat renders at lower temps. I tried lower temps than 350, but the fat wasn't rendering well. After that I lay them out on paper towels and press down to get the extra grease soaked up, then let them cool, put them in a ziploc, and crush them up so put on salads, and in eggs.

droppin
Wed, Mar-28-07, 16:30
thanks so much I will try that tonight, I wanted that bacon so bad bu tdidnt want all that grease thanks again

HeatherC79
Wed, Mar-28-07, 17:04
I have the perfect idea for you!! I buy hormel microwave bacon - it comes with 4 slices per pack (4 packs in a box), and all you do is put it in the microwave for about 2 min and that's all there is to it. I love it, I put some in right before I have to go to work and eat it on the way in. Hope that helps

droppin
Wed, Mar-28-07, 17:09
Thanks so much Heather. I will try that

Bubbas Mom
Wed, Mar-28-07, 17:10
I've had the best results with baking bacon! Be sure to line it with foil like mikeyroy suggested, otherwise it can become quite a clean up!

Best of luck!!!

Ptrcmcc6
Wed, Mar-28-07, 23:34
I like my bacon baked also. I don't like my bacon done to the point where it's crispy and falls apart. I like my bacon done until the fat is a little crispy but it still has a meaty taste to it also. I find in the oven, I get the best results for that. Plus, the bacon doesn't shrink up as much as it does when you fry it. I usually cook mine in a 400 degree oven for about 10 - 12 minutes on each side. I turn mine over 1/2 way through. I do put in on a rack on top of a cookie sheet but I don't line the sheet with foil. When it's done, I just pour the grease off and it's really not that hard to clean. You can even save some of the fat to use for cooking eggs with.

Speaking of which, I have some bacon grease left over from yesterday. I think I'm going to go fry me up some eggs. :yum:

Patty

ceddiana77
Thu, Mar-29-07, 08:41
I have the perfect idea for you!! I buy hormel microwave bacon - it comes with 4 slices per pack (4 packs in a box), and all you do is put it in the microwave for about 2 min and that's all there is to it. I love it, I put some in right before I have to go to work and eat it on the way in. Hope that helps

Me too :) I buy it at BJ's. So quick, no mess!!! Cane even nuke them right out of the freezer.

Scottie
Thu, Mar-29-07, 08:47
I grill mine. Nice n crispy :-(

Mimya
Thu, Mar-29-07, 09:56
When I cook a lot of bacon, I cook mine in the oven on a cookie sheet and I place the bacon on a rack (placed into the cookie sheet) so it doesn't sit in the grease - 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

Smaller portions I cooked on the George Forman grill. Great, fast & easy clean up.

droppin
Thu, Mar-29-07, 11:35
thanks so much I will try allof these and see what works

Paddypower
Thu, Mar-29-07, 14:05
what does frying do to bother your gout? just curious

popeye_w
Thu, Mar-29-07, 17:25
I love bacon and want it badly but I have gout and dont want to fry it I tried the micowave but it stuck to the papertowel is there a way to get bacon, without frying it?

have you tried it in the micro using a bacon cooking tray? No mess! Then, the weirdo that I am, I take the drippings, run them through a coffee filter and save them to fry other things in.... :yum:

droppin
Thu, Mar-29-07, 17:34
Frying things can cause the acids to flare up and it hurts so bad as bad as being in labor in childbirth, thats how bad it can hurt.
It gets in your joints and crunches them up to crystize and kills ya