PDA

View Full Version : New here, and at the end my rope!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tracylyn
Sun, Mar-25-07, 22:17
Hello..glad to have found this site, hope to get some answers, and i desperately need the support.Okay,*deep breathe*..my list...pcos, degenerative disc disease(had a disc removed from back last year),osteprosis(spl?),schlorosis,and thyroid problems.Now, the thyroid prob is tricky for me to understand, on acount of the fact that i am in firm belief that my thyroid doc is a insensitive a**!!One, i got diagnose with it about 1995..i'd been gaining unexplained weight like mad,i suffer from crazy insomnia,(still do),depression, and cannot seem to lose more than a few pounds(like 5-10)and then, nothing.I was 258..it took me 3 yrs to get down to where i am now, 225.I have been on a high protein low carb diet since feb,2007.I work out cardio, and resistance band machine, every day.But, anyway, back in 95, my endo dx'd me with what he called Graves disease.But, i said, my eyes do not bulge, i am tired, and suddenly overweight,..he said Okay tra, you are not a "textbook case" ????!!!WTF? he's had me on 0.175 levothroxine since 95. 2 yrs ago, i got told after having a series of syringes put in my neck, that i had a "growth"which i took to be a goiter?...yet nothing else has been done..i am a DDD bra size, and my family doctor sent me to a plastic surgeon who said i am DEF in need of a reduction..duh!...but he said i had to quit smoking and lose weight first. well, i had my last smoke nov 11 2006, and since then i have managed to lose about 30 lbs..but now im stuck, at 225, and then i go back up to 230 when im due for the menstrual.
Now i've had some hope, since this low carb diet, but now i read online about"thyroid damaging foods?!it said that all cabbage vegs, and brocolli, cauliflower, stops /damages thyroid from working properly??!I started to cry, i became so frustrated!then i read that i may not be eating enough calories to lose weight?!..I'm at a loss folks, i feel like im bangin my head against a wall, that no matter what, im doomed.im NEVER hungry as it is, but i force myself to eat at least 3 portioned meals a day, with fruits inbetween. i do not eat breads, junkfood, potatoes. I have 2 hard boiled eggs,(with fruit) for breakfast, salad for lunch, and skinless chicken with veg for dinner..with about 3-4 apples thru out the day..lots of water...and now im wondering what the hell, am i suppose to do, with all this new info i come across online about these foods ive been eating not being good for my thyroid???? :help: :help: :help:..p.s..and i am only 37 to boot!

MissScruff
Sun, Mar-25-07, 22:28
Welcome to the boards...you have found a good place to get support and feedback on issues that we all have found frustrating! I have thyroid issues as well so understand the frustrations there. I tried just about every diet out there and can honestly say Atkins was the only one that worked for me! Read up on the different low carb ones out there before deciding! JudyNYC has lost a lot on South Beach! One thing I would go ahead and eliminate would be fruit! Lots of natural sugar there! Berries are a much better choice! I packed some for my lunch tomorrow...strawberries which I will top with Land O Lakes splenda sweetened whipped cream! Too yummy! Also, the chicken...unless it is expensive then it is probably injected with sugar, flour, and lots of chemicals which is bad for weightloss...ok, it doesn't help! And, what about veggie choices? I was just stunned to see how many I thought would be good choices that ended up not being so good! Definitely read up on the different choices and remember to take it one moment at a time! You are changing some really bad habits thrown in with health issues so you want to respect all that! In the end you will find your health to be much better! Best of luck!

Kisal
Mon, Mar-26-07, 00:14
Welcome, Tracylyn! I'm glad you have joined us. :)

bob2112
Mon, Mar-26-07, 05:55
Welcome to the forums. Wishing you all the best on your LC journey.

popeye_w
Mon, Mar-26-07, 10:05
Hello..glad to have found this site, hope to get some answers, and i desperately need the support.Okay,*deep breathe*..my list...pcos, degenerative disc disease(had a disc removed from back last year),osteprosis(spl?),schlorosis,and thyroid problems.Now, the thyroid prob is tricky for me to understand, on acount of the fact that i am in firm belief that my thyroid doc is a insensitive a**!!One, i got diagnose with it about 1995..i'd been gaining unexplained weight like mad,i suffer from crazy insomnia,(still do),depression, and cannot seem to lose more than a few pounds(like 5-10)and then, nothing.I was 258..it took me 3 yrs to get down to where i am now, 225.I have been on a high protein low carb diet since feb,2007.I work out cardio, and resistance band machine, every day.But, anyway, back in 95, my endo dx'd me with what he called Graves disease.But, i said, my eyes do not bulge, i am tired, and suddenly overweight,..he said Okay tra, you are not a "textbook case" ????!!!WTF? he's had me on 0.175 levothroxine since 95. 2 yrs ago, i got told after having a series of syringes put in my neck, that i had a "growth"which i took to be a goiter?...yet nothing else has been done..i am a DDD bra size, and my family doctor sent me to a plastic surgeon who said i am DEF in need of a reduction..duh!...but he said i had to quit smoking and lose weight first. well, i had my last smoke nov 11 2006, and since then i have managed to lose about 30 lbs..but now im stuck, at 225, and then i go back up to 230 when im due for the menstrual.
Now i've had some hope, since this low carb diet, but now i read online about"thyroid damaging foods?!it said that all cabbage vegs, and brocolli, cauliflower, stops /damages thyroid from working properly??!I started to cry, i became so frustrated!then i read that i may not be eating enough calories to lose weight?!..I'm at a loss folks, i feel like im bangin my head against a wall, that no matter what, im doomed.im NEVER hungry as it is, but i force myself to eat at least 3 portioned meals a day, with fruits inbetween. i do not eat breads, junkfood, potatoes. I have 2 hard boiled eggs,(with fruit) for breakfast, salad for lunch, and skinless chicken with veg for dinner..with about 3-4 apples thru out the day..lots of water...and now im wondering what the hell, am i suppose to do, with all this new info i come across online about these foods ive been eating not being good for my thyroid???? :help: :help: :help:..p.s..and i am only 37 to boot!

I have to tell you, I have hashimotos thyroiditis and a nearly dead thyroid... I am lucky in that t he standard clinically accepted treatment of .15 mg synthroid works great for me... I run about 1.5 tsh and have no symptoms of hypothyroid anymore. AND - I eat all the veggies that they say are no no's, too. BUT - the one that I stay away from with vigilance is SOY... spsecifically soy isoflavines. So, don't freak and think you can't have the veggies. Get your levels straight, then add things in and see how you feel.

There is a great book that I really enjoyed by Dr. Arem... Think it's called the "Thyroid Solution" or something like that. Also, on this forum in the health section there is a board for thyroid issues - read the first sticky, it's very informative.

Good luck and stick with it - but get rid of the apples.

Lynn :wave: