PDA

View Full Version : acceptable alcohol

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jjfaeries
Fri, Mar-23-07, 22:07
i'm going out drinking for a friend's brithday tomorrow night and I think I'm going to go waaaayy over my carb count for the day. does anyone have any good ideas on drinks that aren't too high? I can stomach beer if I have too but i really like the fruity mixed drinks. it's a pretty redneck bar so I don't know how big the selection will be. any suggestions would be great! and.. i think i know the answer to this but, I shouldn't skimp on my eating to compensate for the carbs in the alcohol right? or should i?
i know i can look in my book for the carb counts of different alcohol but i don't know what they mix in the drinks.

Kiks
Fri, Mar-23-07, 22:41
Hi - I went out a few weeks ago and asked for Gin & low cal ( diet ) tonic - which would be carb free!! alas they didnt serve low cal tonic so I ended up drinking Vodka & diet coke which as no carbs - BEWARE though because your body will burn the alcohol before the fat so it may stall you for a day !

have a good night out !! we do need those every so often :lol: :lol:

LadyC
Fri, Mar-23-07, 23:09
i found the following information about alcoholic beverages.... i'd avoid the really good things like strawberry daquiris... if your like me, the following chart will turn your stomach. (i like the fruity drinks too!) but look at a site called lcbartender.com for some ideas... i think any bartender should be able to serve up a 'bacardi cranapple' (6.28 g) or a 'melon daquiri' (1.25 g)... both under

Armagnac - 0g
Beer (12oz) - 12.5g
Bourbon - 0g
Brandy - 0g
Cognac - 0g
Gin - 0g
Rum - 0g
Scotch - 0g
Tequila - 0g
Vermouth, Dry - 1.4g
Vermouth, Sweet - 4.5g
Vodka - 0g
Whiskey - 0g
Wine, Red (4oz) - 2.0g
Wine, White (4oz) - 0.9g

LadyC
Fri, Mar-23-07, 23:29
correction... the second drink i mentioned is made with a LC mixer that most bars may not have. i don't know, never tried to order anything like that, but i may try in the future!

the first one though is made with 1.5 oz bacardi and 2 oz. of cranberry juice. not a very big drink :(

i don't know if i'm allowed to post actual links, so i'll make it a non-link... lcbartender.com/drink_ideas.htm

Ada
Sat, Mar-24-07, 00:19
I always go with vodka with soda water and fresh lime. No carbs in the vodka or soda and the lime adds a little flavour. It is very refreshing and the soda water will hydrate you so you don't feel hungover in the A.M! If it is too bland for ya add a splash of cran for flavour. That way you won't be getting the carbs of a full glass of cranberry juice. Also, the juice most bars use is always full of sugar.

Ptrcmcc6
Sat, Mar-24-07, 04:24
I'm like Ada. I usually go for a vodka and club soda with a twist of lemon instead of lime. Or....you can have a twist of both. Just be careful though. You'd be surprised how quickly you feel the effects of alcohol when you are low carbing. If you must stick with beer, Michelob Ultra is supposedly a low carb beer.

Either way......enjoy yourself!!

Patty