PDA

View Full Version : Hi! I'm new, but I've done Atkins before

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

skeezix
Fri, Mar-23-07, 19:43
Hi there all! How do you start? For years, I was a low-fat vegetarian, and despite all the talk of "goodness, how healthy my food was" I was steadily gaining weight. Then I opened up Atkins book, and it was as if it was speaking to me. Low fat muffin, couple of cups of coffee. Then, mid morning, unbearably hungry, so another low-fat snack. Then lunch, and by 2 pm I was ready for a nap. More coffee, maybe a granola bar to tide me 'til dinner. Not horrible, always was aware of my food intake, but suddenly I was a size 12 and looking more and more like my mother! :) I looked at the diabetes/insulin thing, and did more research, and realized that it looked like I'd have to start eating meat. My genes just make it so I have to eat more protein and fewer bready things.

First couple days were, well, horrible. The headache and general ickiness was really bad, but I'm stubborn, so I kept with it. Suddenly it broke, I felt great, and the pounds melted off. I actually got down to size 6, people were amazed with how I looked, and horrified by what I ate. I stayed pretty good for a couple of years, then...well, new job (in front of computer all day), rediscovery of pizza and artisan bread, turned 40 and back came the pounds.

So, I'm back on induction. Drinking a lot of water and doing the vitamin supplements eased the "carb hangover" and THIS FORUM eased the boredom with the food. So, I'm printing out recipes, cooking like a fiend, eating yummy food that makes me feel great. So thanks for all the great recipes, and I'll post some of my own. Good luck all!

OregonRose
Fri, Mar-23-07, 20:01
Hi Skeezix,

I'm new here too, and in a similar boat (not an ex-vegetarian, but an ex-low-fatter). Back for my second round on Atkins, too. We won't give up this time, will we?

(I'll go check out the recipes section since you mentioned it eased your induction boredom. It's the one place I haven't been yet.)

Rose

skeezix
Fri, Mar-23-07, 20:10
Yeah, You GOTTA check out the recipes. I've eaten Thai, Lebonese, and a cool fish cake for the last three dinners. No boredom here.

Kisal
Fri, Mar-23-07, 22:45
Welcome, Skeezix! Glad you have joined us. :)

Here is another site with wonderful recipes:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html

There's definitely no shortage of excellent food on the LC woe! :wave:

bob2112
Sat, Mar-24-07, 04:54
Welcome to the forums. Glad to have you onboard.