PDA

View Full Version : Trying it again - starting Sunday

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

yernst25
Thu, Mar-22-07, 13:58
Well, I'm trying it for the 3rd time, starting 3/25/2007. The first time I tried I hit the wall on the 3rd day. I had a headache, was NOT very nice, extremely hungry, and generally felt like ....well I felt terrible! Then, the Girl Scout cookies we had ordered months before came. Atkins over.
If anyone can give me some hints to get through this I would REALLY appreciate it. I'd like to be better prepared this time!
Thanks!!!

popeye_w
Thu, Mar-22-07, 14:09
$&#^#$*%& Girl Scout cookies!!!!

My daughter used to be a GS... I was the cookie mom and guess what they have to order those things by the case... and guess what happens to the odd boxes in the case???!!!! COOKIE MOM-STER EATS THEM!!!!!!!

Kisal
Thu, Mar-22-07, 19:23
If anyone can give me some hints to get through this I would REALLY appreciate it. I'd like to be better prepared this time! Thanks!!!The headache is a common part of what we call the Induction Flu. It's just your body complaining as it goes through the detox process and switches to burning fats for energy. Most people just grit their teeth and wait it out, since it's usually completely gone within 3 or 4 days.

If you get a headache, by all means take something to help! IIRC, many people have posted that they get the best relief from Excedrin Migraine. Because you will be drinking a lot more water than you may have in the past, it's important to take at least a good daily mulitvitamin/mineral supplement. If you experience other problems, such as extreme tiredness, muscle cramps, etc., just start a thread in the Newbies Questions forum, and you will receive a lot of good advice. Those of us on Atkins have all been through the Induction Flu and will tell you what helped us.

Do keep your Atkins book close at hand and refer to it often. Don't just read about how to do Induction, read the entire book! There is information scattered all throughout it that will be very helpful to you, even while on Induction.

You can get past the Induction Flu! We're here to help. One day you will wake up feeling absolutely wonderful, with tons of energy to spare! :)

Best of luck to you! :wave:

ETA: Your headache might have been worse if you tried to stop drinking coffee/tea during Induction. Many of us have found that caffeinated beverages do not cause a problem for our weight loss. It is very much one of those YMMV things, though. Continue to drink your favorite caffeinated beverages if you like, and discontinue them only if you find you aren't losing weight. HTH!

freyamoon2
Thu, Mar-22-07, 20:43
Well, I'm trying it for the 3rd time, starting 3/25/2007.

Hello:) I am also starting my third try.. Hopefully this will be the last. What is it they say? Third time is the charmer? or something...

Let's see the the other times as practice.

Goat Lady
Thu, Mar-22-07, 22:01
I hope that third time is a charm....I'm right there w/ya'll!
Welcome to the boards!!

bob2112
Fri, Mar-23-07, 05:43
Welcome to the forums. Got the fingers crossed for you hoping that the third time will be the ticket!!

BetsyJ64
Sat, Mar-24-07, 06:06
I think I must be the ONLY person in the entire world who can't stand Girl Scout Cookies! :lol: But talk to me about Pepperidge Farm..... :)

Best of luck to you on this journey - you can do it!!!

Betsy

bkloots
Sat, Mar-24-07, 06:37
Cookie Mom-ster!: :lol: I can relate. In an office environment, an oversupply of cookies is a given.

As for being a "third-timer"--well, most of us here can relate in one way or another. This is my first time on Atkins (well, not really--I own the 1972 edition, and evidently gave it a shot back then. Who remembers?) Over the years as a yo-yo dieter, I've lost 10, 20, 30, and finally 50 lbs--usually on low-cal/low-fat, with Weight Watcher involvement. I did WW back in the day when you cooked ghastly stuff with mashed Ritz crackers and gelatin.

I am very grateful to have discovered Atkins once again. Dr. A promised "pleasurable eating" and he's right about that. Being able to build my menu around protein, fats, and veggies--including salads with "real" salad dressing--has made all the difference in the world.

After more than four years, I'm even more committed to this way of eating, more and more educated and in tune with its benefits.

I urge you to focus on the benefits, not the "sacrifices." Recently, reading Jonny Bowden's Living the Low Carb Life, I've become even more convinced that refined sugar doesn't belong in my mouth. Ever. As much as I love birthday cake, I'm just going to see it as part of the decoration from now on. And cookies? Thanks, but no.

skeezix
Sat, Mar-24-07, 10:39
Yes, focus on the positive...drink lots of water and eat your vitamins. Because i've done this once before successfully, I also see a pair of leather pants in the closet waiting for me to slim down again! This low-carbing really does work, and once you're thru the first few days, the rest is MUCH easier! Good luck!

Coco_80
Sat, Mar-24-07, 21:34
I'm starting Low Carb tomorrow too (for the 100th and last time). I REALLY want to succeed and stick with it this time, I've had success in the past- I just need to stick with it for more than two weeks! :lol:

bkloots
Sun, Mar-25-07, 04:06
Really....it takes quite a while to get your head around the idea of low-carb as a lifestyle, not just another "diet." I'd say about two years. Yes--two years. Some tips:

--Don't try to reproduce your old way of eating with substitute foods--that is, foods that are like the old breads and sweets you used to eat. The plan is to eat differently and learn to like new things.
--Don't focus on weight loss, but rather on good health. Think of all the good things low-carb is doing for your blood profile (heart health), blood pressure, and so forth.
--Don't expect anyone else (except us here) to be interested in what you're doing. Just do it for YOU.
--Enjoy the journey. I mean that. You have to search out and find the pleasure of it, or you won't be able to sustain it for life. It's there. I promise. (If it isn't--then this isn't the right plan for you.)

Best wishes.

yernst25
Mon, Mar-26-07, 09:01
Thanks for everyone's input! It's day 2. No Induction Flu yet, but I'm as ready as I can be!

Raine'sMom
Mon, Mar-26-07, 09:07
Best wishes to you on your journey! I'm joining you ... I'm starting AGAIN too!