PDA

View Full Version : New to LCing

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

CAINNE
Mon, Feb-04-02, 09:51
Hi all,
This is such a great site for feedback and information, glad to have found it.

Anyway, my wife and I just started this new life style and look forward to a great sucess together. We have two young children, and have both been fighting a weight problem, mostly since we have been married, but I have been working on loosing weight most of my life.

We have been LC for only about 1 1/2 days, but I already feel as if some of the cravings of non-stop grazing have slowed down. I don't know if this is just the excitement of starting something new or if I am purging by body of the dreaded carbohydrates that make me always looking for something to eat. I hope it is that latter, since this will make this whole exprience much easier.

Anyway, we are reading the Atkins book but I have a few questions.
Is it possible to drink too much water? I have heard somewhere that you really should not drink too much more then the 64oz a day. I am not sure I believe that, but wanted to see if there was any feedback on that. Is it at all detrimental to drink far more then 64oz a day?
Also, is it possible to take just a multi-vitamin instead of the Atkins vitamins? Just looking to see what my options are.

Thanks to all, and look forward to a long and health life of LCing

Chris

gwilson38
Mon, Feb-04-02, 10:05
welcome here to U and your wife! U cant possiblely drink too much water. When U are low carbing U need lots of water to flush out the ketones your body is producing. Also if U dont drink enough water then U will retain it. For weight loss it is suggested to drink at least 64 oz plus an extra 8 oz for every 25 pounds U want to lose....thats the minimum. Im not trying to lose weight but I still slurp down 4-6 liters a day..lol I take a multi- vitamin and the other real important ones are calcium-magnesium... and potassium.

Natrushka
Mon, Feb-04-02, 10:17
Hi there Cainne! Welcome to the forum :)

To answer your question, yes, it is possible to drink too much water - but it's not likely you will. Water intoxication involves drinking too much water in a period of time w/o replentishing the electrolytes and salts that are lost along with the water - it results in an imbalance w/in your cells. It is something that effects long distance runners most commonly - or athletes working out under extreme conditions on very hot days.

Drinking 64 oz +++ won't do it to you. I drink 6 litres a day on average and I'm just fine :)

The guidlines by the way, are 64 oz as a minimum + 8 oz for every 25 lbs of fat you want to lose.

You can most certainly take a generic multi vitamine in place of the Atkins one. You should also supplement with calcium, magnesium and potassium. You can read all about the dosage and best ways to take them here (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29218&highlight=calcium+magnesium+how+much) .

All the best to you and your wife!
Nat