PDA

View Full Version : Fell Off the Wagon

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

BridgettH
Mon, Feb-04-02, 02:33
Hi,

This is my first post. I have been doing LC for four weeks now and I have been so tired and I have had horrible headaches. I have been feeling tempted and week lately while pouring my kids bowls of chocolate cereal for breakfast and today I finally lost it. I ate a whole handful of Hersheys Kisses.......I don't know how much damage that could do, but I feel horrible. I have only lost about 6 pounds so far, but I guess it is nuts of me to think that I will magically go to bed one day fat and wake up the next thin.....

I guess my question is this... My husband isn't very supportive of the whole LC thing and he keeps asking me why I think this diet will work, when everything else that I have tried hasn't. He keeps saying that being in "Ketosis" doesn't particularily mean that I am burning the fat on my butt, but only burning the fat that I am consuming each day with the meats and all. I guess that is a valid question, and even though I have read and re- read the new book, I am still not sure why.....

I am going to get back up in the morning and consider it a new day and start induction all over again. Maybe this time will be better I hope. I am just curious as to how much and how quickly some of you guys lost weight, so I don't get frustrated and slow progress and just give up.

I will appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks so much.

Bridgett

Ellen532
Mon, Feb-04-02, 07:55
Bridgett I am new too so I don’t know how much help I can be but I can be supportive. I too have that magical thinking that I will wake up thin. I have been doing the induction for 2 weeks and I have lost a total of 15 lbs.… a lot of that was water I think.. I too have that same question your husband has about just burning the fat you are eating. But I know this LC way of eating works. I know I am a carb addict and this is my only choice. I have tried many others..

You can get local support by going to a 12-step food program such as OA or some other ones that are out there … it helps a lot. And continue to ask questions on this forum.

Your husband might only be convince as the pounds come off…
Hang. :wave:
Ellen

Karen
Mon, Feb-04-02, 11:40
and I have been so tired and I have had horrible headaches.

Hi BridgettH! It sounds like you need to supplement with magnesium/calcium and potassium. Are you taking a multi-vitamin? Your water intake should be at least 64 oz. a day + 8 oz. for every 25 pounds you wish to lose. Sometimes fatigue is caused by lack of water.

Ignore your husband and focus on this way of eating not for weight loss, but for health benefits. No one can predict how fast or slowly someone will lose weight. There are a lot of factors involved. A safe average is 2 lbs. per week, but everyone experiences stalls and plateaus along the way. Comparing yourself to others might only serve to hinder you.

Changing your attitude from LC being a "diet" to a way of life that will be with you for the rest of your days definitely will help you to stay on course. LC is a learning process. As you go along you learn what works for you and what doesn't. Stick with it, vow to learn more about it and keep posting. You won't regret it!

Karen

smiley
Sun, Feb-10-02, 04:36
Just wanted to drop in and say thank you Karen for the support

Smiley :D :wave:

cyntalkalo
Sun, Feb-10-02, 13:07
I too have a hard time. No one I know is doing this wol. I have not lost alot of weight, but this is my fault no the wol. I have slowly started adding carbs are no that are not good for me.
My husband refuses to eat the locarb foods. So to keep the peace I make his and her foods. When I do eat what I call "naughty" is it something like homemade bread or a pastry meant for the hubby.
I have finally turned the corner again where I can bypass the "naughty" foods.
For me it is not hunger that drives the eating. Just knowing how good something tastes can be such a hard thing to supress.
Keep focused on each day only.

sunchick
Sun, Feb-10-02, 17:02
cyntalkalo, I completely agree how hard it is to resist temptation just knowing how good something tastes. It is ridiculous when i think about it...it is only food, why is it so hard to not pick it up and put it in my mouth. Lately, when I have been getting these cravings and having moments of weakness, I make myself stop and think about it. Usually when I cheat, it is because I will not let myself think about what I am doing. I just turn that part of my brain off and just go into auto drive. I tell myself I don't care, blah, blah. However, I am learning, and now i will stop and make myself think about why I want to eat whatever it is that I am yurning for. Sometimes, call me crazy, I have to talk out loud to myself so that I can hear the words. But I just remind myself about my goal and how I am stronger than cookies or brownies or ice cream, and they are not going to stand in the way of my happiness and success. This usually makes me stop and recognize what is going on in the situation and makes me feel so good about myself when i can walk away from the situation and not have given into my desires. Good luck:)