PDA

View Full Version : How long is it safe to stay on "induction"...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

cheri
Sun, Feb-03-02, 20:33
I have been on the "induction" phase of Atkin's for 2 weeks - I would like to try to stay on it longer if it will mean I can drop more lbs and inches faster since I have a lot of weight that I want to lose.... is it safe to continue this phase for a longer period and how long is advised - I am keeping my carb level at about 20-25 per day right now...

Thanks in advance for any info! :wave:

gwilson38
Sun, Feb-03-02, 20:53
Some people stay on induction for several weeks in fact Dr. Atkins even says he has patients that feel their best when they stay around 25 grams a day all the time. I would recommend tho that soon U increase your carbs...I know the weight will come off more slowly however if U are doing this a new way of life then U need to become acustomed to how U will eat the rest of your life.

Brave
Mon, Feb-04-02, 11:47
I haven't really seen any loss in my first two weeks. I'm cutting out cheese now. Don't quite know what my stall is. If you're feeling well go for it!
I know me though, I need a little more variety in carbs. I'm not a big veggie person as it is. So, I'll give it another week or two. :spin: I do like the way I feel though :Party:

lesleyc
Mon, Feb-04-02, 13:16
It's pretty safe to stay around 25g a day for quite some time. I have been LCing for 5 months and rarely go above 25g.

It is important though that the few extra carbs that you add in above the 20g during induction, come primarily from green veges. Don't make the mistake of adding in just things like nuts etc, which can make you stall.

I find that once a month for a week if I drop back down to full induction (15 - 20g) it gives me a good kick start

As long as you are feeling well and eating plenty of veges you can do induction for a while.

Lesley

ruby
Mon, Feb-04-02, 13:22
Thank you all for your advice. This forum is absolutely the best. I plan to continue induction for two more weeks, and then definitely up my carbs, because I feel that if I stay longer than that deprivation mode may kick in.

Thanks to all of you and good luck with your goals.

Ruby :wave:

razzle
Mon, Feb-04-02, 16:39
An interesting coda to this...apparently, one can live on a zero-carb diet for a long period of time with no health risks, if one eats healthy meat and animal fat. Look up information on the Vilhjalmur Stefansson experiments with meat-only eating, if you're interested. He was mimicking the diet of the Innuits.

For us, with our access to only farmed and domesticated animals, probably it is best to keep eating those 20 g of healthy veggies, tho. :)