PDA

View Full Version : I'm new too!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mommy2boys
Fri, Feb-01-02, 04:53
Hi! I'm Christy, 31. I have two boys, ages 8 and 18 months. I have begun my low-carbing would like to talk with others about using the Atkins' Diet &/or Herbalife products. So far, I have lost 10 pounds, but my waistline has not gotten smaller as I have hoped. My husband thinks I am losing the weight in my face, arms, and thighs first, that I will possibly lose my stomach last? I'm not sure!

I am so scared of failing at weight loss. And I desperately need to lose weight to a better, healthier body. So, here I am! I hope I befriend many of you as we work toward having healthier bodies.

Christy

P.S. How do I send a member a private message? When I went to their profile page and click on private message, it wouldn't let me. Then I clicked on the icon below their post, and it wouldn't let me either. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any responses! ~smiles~

happy124
Fri, Feb-01-02, 08:24
You have to respond to so many posts and then you are allowed to private message. I am not sure how many though. Keep on replying to peoples post and you will be allowed. Look at the forum rules on the left-hand side bottom of this message and it will tell you what you may and may not do. Good luck.

sheri2kids
Fri, Feb-01-02, 08:26
Hi Christy

My name is Sheri and I am on Atkins for about a month now, what is herbalife?? I also have 2 kids, one 4 1/2 and one 20 mos. I have done nothing since my kids and I have alot of baby fat to lose!! I could sure use a buddy if you are interested :)

As for your private message question, I have no idea!! I am new to this too and havent gotten that far yet!!

I have found this forum very informative, good luck and happy dieting!!

Sheri :wiggle:

TerrieP
Fri, Feb-01-02, 08:33
Once you make 25 posts you can private message.

jen&ben
Fri, Feb-01-02, 09:16
Good Morning Ladies!

My husband & I will be starting Atkins on Monday (and I am scared to death). I am already worrying about not being able to keep the weight off once I hit target.

I am also panicked about getting through the first few days and the withdrawals I have been reading about.

I am fairly confident I can get to target just worrying about staying there. Can't believe that is my concern when I have not yet experienced my first day of Atkins.

Obviously I worry too much!

Finally what are you doing with your kids diets? I have a 4 year old daughter and a 3 year old son. Both carb addicts. I am thinking about ways to modify their diets a bit but not do full blown Atkins.

Any suggestions?

Would love to stay in touch as a buddy.
Judy

PS: on the private message thing doesn't the person you are trying to send to have to have private message enabled also?

TerrieP
Fri, Feb-01-02, 10:58
I have three children and a vegetarian husband. Meal times are pretty easy. (Kids are 13, 11, 9)

I stopped buying bread (you know you had to have that with dinner), so they aren't asking for that anymore. I have been feeding them more eggs without toast.

There are a couple of recipies in this fourm for Bacon Cheeseburger Cassorole (they loved it); noodless lasagna (loved it too.)

I haven't bought any new "school snacks" and they are finding joy in cheese, celery with cream cheese or peanut butter.

(They did have ice cream the other day, but I refused to scoop it because that was really my downfall prior to this woe.)

My kids are pretty good at trying new things. 2 of them loved the faux mashed potatoes. They will also eat tofu so it is easy to incorporate that too.

Oh yeah, I tried the Atkins Pancakes this a.m. and they loved them too!

Good luck to you and your family.

mommy2boys
Fri, Feb-01-02, 11:25
Originally posted by happy124
You have to respond to so many posts and then you are allowed to private message. I am not sure how many though. Keep on replying to peoples post and you will be allowed. Look at the forum rules on the left-hand side bottom of this message and it will tell you what you may and may not do. Good luck.

Thank you Cheryl for helping me out!! I see that you have lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time. First allow me to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That is sooo awesome!! Second, I have a question for you!! How did you do it??? Again, that is sooo AWESOME!! You should be so proud of yourself. I am, and I haven't even been here that long! LOL! I've been so encouraged here at these forums!!

Sincerely,
Christy

mommy2boys
Fri, Feb-01-02, 11:32
Originally posted by sheri2kids
Hi Christy

My name is Sheri and I am on Atkins for about a month now, what is herbalife?? I also have 2 kids, one 4 1/2 and one 20 mos. I have done nothing since my kids and I have alot of baby fat to lose!! I could sure use a buddy if you are interested :)

As for your private message question, I have no idea!! I am new to this too and havent gotten that far yet!!

I have found this forum very informative, good luck and happy dieting!!

Sheri :wiggle:

Hi there Sheri!!

You are doing very well on your diet as well!! This is sooo wonderful!! I'm in awe of the company I am in!! I'm hoping to lose as well as you all have, but I feel like I am doing something wrong because I hate to admit this, but I DO want fast weightloss. My husband & I are going to Florida alone in April AND my brother-in-law is getting married in April... so my goal is to lose 30 pounds by April, but maybe this is not going to happen. Am I a dreamer or what? Or can this happen for me? I know it's a drastic amount, but I have drastically changed the way I have eating & have been praying as well. Anyway, having you as a buddy would be wonderful! Just let me know what to do!!

Sincerely,
Christy

mommy2boys
Fri, Feb-01-02, 11:47
Originally posted by sheri2kids
Hi Christy

what is herbalife??

You know I have never heard of this product either until about a month ago. Here is a link to their website: http://www.herbalife.com. It's a program that is supposed to help you lose weight using the low carbs, high protein approach. I am very new to it, so I'm not sure I have many answers for you. I just take a bunch of herbs in the morning & evening & I eat dinner with my husband & two boys. That's where I have a hard time with counting carbs. I am more conscientious of counting them though and reading the carbs on labels. I really want to start that 14-Day Induction Diet that Atkins speaks about, but I just don't know how to go about eating that way for 14 days. It restricts to 20 grams of carbs a day and there are not many things under 5 grams. I guess you just load up on meat?

Anyway, Herbalife vitamins, minerals, herbs help me a lot with my energy level & weightloss. I take a shake, herbal pills, cell-activator in the mornings and in mid-afternoons, and then eat dinner with my family. Then, I go to bed! LOL!! I hardly need anything to eat until dinner time. I get a little hungry at lunch time, so I eat one celery stalk (1.6g) with 2 tbsp of peanut butter (7g). This makes it difficult to eat dinner only allowed to have 13 more grams for the day. That's what I want to learn from these forums, how to make my adjustments. And then, I would like to do some weight-training. I've been reading that Dan Guy's comments and taking some notes here by my computer!! haha! He seems to really know his stuff. I check out everything he says & I am pleasantly pleased.

Well, look at me talking your ear off! Sorry about that! I am just so pumped up in my dieting, I'm looking to take it to the next level.

Christy

mommy2boys
Fri, Feb-01-02, 11:51
Originally posted by TerrieP
I have three children and a vegetarian husband. Meal times are pretty easy. (Kids are 13, 11, 9)

I stopped buying bread (you know you had to have that with dinner), so they aren't asking for that anymore. I have been feeding them more eggs without toast.

There are a couple of recipies in this fourm for Bacon Cheeseburger Cassorole (they loved it); noodless lasagna (loved it too.)

I haven't bought any new "school snacks" and they are finding joy in cheese, celery with cream cheese or peanut butter.

(They did have ice cream the other day, but I refused to scoop it because that was really my downfall prior to this woe.)

My kids are pretty good at trying new things. 2 of them loved the faux mashed potatoes. They will also eat tofu so it is easy to incorporate that too.

Oh yeah, I tried the Atkins Pancakes this a.m. and they loved them too!

Good luck to you and your family.

Terri, thanks for telling me about the 25 posts rule. I missed that somewhere along the line.

Also, I want to thank your for the recipe selections you listed. That gives me a good foundation of how to start changing my shopping list and eating healthier. My husband is diabetic, so he needs some things that I do not, and I feel my boys do need their carbs, so I am not sure what I'll do about it all yet!!! But I do want to make them healthier snacks as you suggested! All your ideas are great! Thanks again! I've learned a lot from you already!

Sincerely,
Christy

mommy2boys
Fri, Feb-01-02, 11:59
Originally posted by jen&ben
Good Morning Ladies!

My husband & I will be starting Atkins on Monday (and I am scared to death). I am already worrying about not being able to keep the weight off once I hit target.

I am also panicked about getting through the first few days and the withdrawals I have been reading about.

I am fairly confident I can get to target just worrying about staying there. Can't believe that is my concern when I have not yet experienced my first day of Atkins.

Obviously I worry too much!

Finally what are you doing with your kids diets? I have a 4 year old daughter and a 3 year old son. Both carb addicts. I am thinking about ways to modify their diets a bit but not do full blown Atkins.

Any suggestions?

Would love to stay in touch as a buddy.
Judy

PS: on the private message thing doesn't the person you are trying to send to have to have private message enabled also?

Hi there Judy!!! That is so great that your husband & you are doing the Atkins Diet together. Awesome!! My husband is thin, and so I almost hate standing by his skinny body!!! haha!! I almost wish he needed to lose weight, so I would have a buddy!!! LOL! I'm so bad!! Anyway, I would love to have a buddy as well. Maybe you, me, and Sheri can team up! That would be motivating & encouraging, I think!

As far as the kids eating, my first-son is thin like his father, so I feel he needs some carbs in his diet. His pediatrician told me that children need to eat just the opposite of what we are suppose to eat! I do see where he is coming from because kids are still growing up (not out), so they need the carbs that we have to limit. But on the other hand, I don't go overboard with carbs either. I want to teach my children limits to their eating habits. Like seconds on the veggies & not carbs!! That's just what I do in my experience.

Looking to getting to know you & the rest of the ladies,
Christy

jen&ben
Fri, Feb-01-02, 15:49
Well Christy you are now officially on my buddy list. :wave:

This whole chat thing just amazes me. I have not done this type of communication before. I use computers all the time for work and shopping but never bothered with a discussion group.

Sheri just let us know if you want to join and I can get technical again ;) and add you to my list.

Have a great LC weekend and wish me luck on Monday :cheer:
Judy

sheri2kids
Fri, Feb-01-02, 18:25
Hi Judy and Christy

I would love to be on your buddy list, what do you do?? just click on the buddy thing under your names?? I am so dumb when it comes to computer stuff!! I have to ask my husband if it is ok to download something!!

My Husband is also on this diet with me but he is going out of town for the next 2 weeks, I hate cooking for just myself and the kids....my kids are pickier, I give them everything that we eat then I give them peas and carrots (the higher carb veggies) I do still give them bread and crackers and things they are so scrawny that I try to get as much food as I can into them.

I made a really yummy and easy chicken dish tonight, when I have a few more minutes to play I will get you the recipe...

(On the induction I lost 10lbs in 2 weeks!!! it is definatly worth it!!)

Talk to ya!! Sheri :wave:

jen&ben
Fri, Feb-01-02, 19:56
Great - and yes just click on the buddy icon at the bottom of the message. You will need to do this for Christy also.

Neither of my kids are picky eaters - but my daughter likes suger and my son likes bread.

Jenna will eat more fruit and veggies then Benjamin (hence jen&ben). He is the picky eater. She is a big processed meat lover. I never really worried about how they ate till I read the Atkins book and got a good sense of just how much of what they eat is a carb. I think they are young enough that if the stuff is not around they will for the most part eat what is on the table.

Enough for now. I am off to find a way to take an existing recipe and get the low down on how many carbs. it has so I could use it during induction.

Have a nice weekend!
Judy

mommy2boys
Sat, Feb-02-02, 03:20
Now how in the world does this buddy list work??? I added you both to my buddy list, but now I am at a loss as to what to do!!!! Helllppp!! haha!

Christy :confused:

lauraW
Sat, Feb-02-02, 09:28
Hi Girls..

You all seem to be doing great...welcome to the boards...

I love when I see people supporting each other like you guys are...it sooooooooooo helps..

Keep up the good work!!

Laura

jen&ben
Sat, Feb-02-02, 10:31
Good Morning and good question. I have not gotten that far yet. Will check with my husband though he is pretty good with computers.

Will get back to you once I figure it out.
Regards, Judy

happy124
Sat, Feb-02-02, 11:48
Christy, thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I dont do anything special in my loss. Really I dont know if I am really doing it right. I just eat meat and carbs and drink water. I want to start weighing things cause I am thinking I am eating too much. I know you are not suppose to count calories but I think I eat too much.

I went to send you a private message and it told you I couldnt cause you were not able to recieve them. So that answers the question of if the other person can recieve them if they dont have the 25 posts. So hurry up and start writing so we can private message you!!!

Keep up the good work and thanks for your kind words. It keeps me going! DRINK DRINK DRINK!!!!

mommy2boys
Sat, Feb-02-02, 14:16
Cheryl, I think water helps sooo much in any weightloss. It just seems to flush out your system or something!

Anyway, I am trying to post 25 times, but I just don't have a whole to say... I'm such a beginner at this LC'ing stuff! haha!

Christy

mommy2boys
Sat, Feb-02-02, 14:38
Send me a private message... Woohoo! LOL

Christy

cochum
Sat, Feb-02-02, 16:07
I have been on the LC diet for about 4 months now. Went all the way through the holidays for the first time on a diet and liked myself at the same time. I usually fail during the holidays and then give up. This time is different and have lost 35 so far. I love to cook and so in the past this has not helped. This time it has been great! I creat food that is wonderful and in my eating peramitors. I have 4 grown kids and they have noticed a difference and between my husband and kids support I am really liking this way of life and myself. :wave:

jenny32
Sat, Feb-02-02, 16:14
I WISH U ALL THE LUCK IN THE WORLD ,,,,I LOST MY FRIST WEIGHT IN ARM ,FACE ,LEGS,IT COMEING OFF MY MIDDLE NOW !!!!!!THANK GOD