PDA

View Full Version : induction is making me ill

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

teegee
Thu, Jan-31-02, 16:09
Has anyone else had this problem? I feel hungry and nauseus at the same time and everytime I start to think about my food options, I practically gag, think I might have to try a different low carb program. Any suggestions?????

I'm on day 6 of induction

Natrushka
Thu, Jan-31-02, 16:25
Detoxing is part of Induction, Teegee. It can last a few days for some - usually it clears up by the second week. An example of just what you're eating everyday would help us offer adivce. Are you eating enough? (10 - 12 times your body weight a day in calories) Are you drinking your water? (64 oz a day + 8 oz for every 25 lbs of fat you want to lose) Are you taking any vitamins or supplements?

There is always the possibility you've come down with a virus as well - it could be totatlly unrelated to LC.

Nat

teegee
Thu, Jan-31-02, 16:43
Originally posted by Natrushka
Detoxing is part of Induction, Teegee. It can last a few days for some - usually it clears up by the second week. An example of just what you're eating everyday would help us offer adivce. Are you eating enough? (10 - 12 times your body weight a day in calories) Are you drinking your water? (64 oz a day + 8 oz for every 25 lbs of fat you want to lose) Are you taking any vitamins or supplements?

There is always the possibility you've come down with a virus as well - it could be totatlly unrelated to LC.

Nat

Hi Nat,

I have been eating 3 eggs for breakfast, or leftover meat from dinner. Lunch will be meat or sometimes cheese. Dinner is meat and a salad or steamed vegy's w/butter from the list By meat I mean it is mostly red meat, some pork and some chicken. Twice a week I will have the atkins bars for lunch because I have school and no chance between classes to sit down for a meal. I am drinking about 2 and 1/2 quarts of water a day. I am taking the atkins supplements. I don't believe this is a virus because when I get really hungry and then start to think about what to eat according to plan nothing sounds appetizing and I actually become nauseaus thinking about it. I know this is a good plan for controlling my glucose levels, it shows on my meter, and I really don't want to quit, but this nausea isn't enjoyable either.
I am also diabetic and on glucophage.
Thanks for you help!

tofi
Thu, Jan-31-02, 18:05
I wonder whether the bars are making you sick? I know they are too sweet for me. Also, they have been blamed for many stalls as the carb count is really about 17 or 18 gm. The extra carbs are in the form of glycerine. The reason for not counting them, is that glycerine is supposed to be inert, in that it doesn't raise insulin levels. So they say.

But some people don't lose until they cut them out.

For fast lunches, I take sliced chicken or roast beef, hard boiled eggs or cheese cubes. You could even take some of each. They each keep well during the morning and are practically carbless.

I think the nausea will pass by the end of the first week. But if not, add a few more carbs in the veggie form - more broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, lettuce with Caesar dressing, etc.

Good luck,

BarB

doreen T
Thu, Jan-31-02, 18:42
hi teegee,

Do you check your blood sugars when you're nauseous? Chances are, you may be experiencing hypoglycemia, especially when you say you experience this when you're really hungry. Glucophage doesn't cause this, since it acts by making insulin work better.

Try eating more frequently, and have snacks with protein in them. Hard boiled eggs, cheese, rolls of cold meat, small cans of tuna, etc. NEVER eat carbs alone, always have them with some protein and fat to slow the blast into your system. Don't go longer than 3 hours without eating, and have a protein snack before bedtime, to prevent waking with hypoglycemia and nausea.

The Atkins bars .. Yes, I realize they're really quick and convenient .. and some folks they don't cause problems when indulged in once in a while. But for some sensitive individuals, the glycerine that's used to sweeten them can act like a carbohydrate, not because glycerine itself causes insulin to spike, but because the sweet TASTE triggers the insulin instead. Then you end up with rebound hypoglycemia about an hour or two later. Better to have a REAL protein snack .. some cheese strings or Slim Jims or beef jerky in pouches that you can have handy in your backpack.

Doreen

kkma1861
Fri, Feb-01-02, 05:22
i find that i some times get nauseous also at the thought of the possible food options. i though tthis was because the foods permitted, particularly on the first stages of the diet are very heavy(protien rich foods tend to be) and sometimes you just feel like a light snack.

i agree, some veggies would be a goog idea when you are feelin like this, or a cup of decaff coffee, or a glass of water

teegee
Fri, Feb-01-02, 06:20
Faiz,

You are absolutely right about wanting something light as opposed to the heavy offerings of this plan, I'll try the suggestions of including a bit more vegy's, but I have to be careful here as well because I have ulcerative colitis and too many raw vegy's aggravates it, have to steam em.

Everyone else,

Thankyou so much for your support and suggestions. Yesterday I had bread again and it does settle my stomach, but it also shot by blood sugar level up to 196. I will start over again today and will try to include more vegy's and water too. As soon as I make it through induction I promise to participate in the giving aspect of this forum, by offering what support I can.

Also what kind of creamy salad dressings can I have on induction? Any brand names you would suggest? and what should I look for on the label?

Best Regards,
teegee :daze:

tofi
Fri, Feb-01-02, 09:19
I don't know where you live (you could click on Profile at the top of the page and enter it beside Location) so can't really give you brand names. In the US, you should find the carb counts on the labels. Many creamy Caesar dressings are about 1 or 2 carbs per Tablespoon.

Where the label doesn't state it, read the ingredient list. The first 5 things should be stuff like cream, cheese, oil, egg yolk, vinegar, spices. The farther down the list that you find the carby things (starch, sugar, corn syrup or anything from corn) the lower the carb count. Try reading the non-creamy 'low-fat' labels for contrast. You'll find sugars right up there near the front. And remember dextrose, fructose, and anything ending in -ol is a form of sugar. The big companies seem to be on the same "let's use corn syrup wherever possible" plan.

have fun.

BarB

Gilta
Fri, Feb-01-02, 12:25
Be careful of the carb bars. I found out I was allergic to heavy amounts of soy. My dermotologist said that it can affect people differently. I got hives, but he said some people may get very nauseated with it.

Try to cut the bars out. I eat pepperoni and cheese as a snack. I use Blue cheese dressing. There are a few that have 1 - 2 / tablespoon. There is a recipe on this site for BC dressing that is good and is < 1 carb.

Good luck.
Gilta

teegee
Sat, Feb-02-02, 07:47
Hi Everyone,

Just an update to let you know that I've cut out the bars, added a few more vegy's and I am feeling much better. Today is one week of induction w/a few minor slip ups, and I am down 4lbs, my fasting glucose is down to 124 from 165, and I am in ketosis, and starting to feel better, thanks for all your support :wave:

Now onto the question of testing for ketosis, my strips say to test in the morning before breakfast and once a day. Would anybody care to share how and when and how often they test? These strips aren't cheap so once a day sounds good to me.

Regards,
Terri