PDA

View Full Version : Venting . . Negative Family Memeber

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

TerrieP
Thu, Jan-31-02, 09:46
This morning I was telling my sister that my mother (who has been low carbing for about 45 days) just got her blood tests back from her doctor and they were all well within the normal range.

This is excellent news because my mom, age 59 about 10 lbs over weight, has been on thyroid meds, high blood pressure meds and high cholosteral meds for over 10 years (cholesterol was 250 at one point. Her doctor has taken her off two meds and is watching her for the next month to see if he can take her off others.

My sisters' response (she is overweight and not following lo-carb) is:

"Well, she must be doing that low fat." I tell her that she can't do it low fat, it won't work. She, of course, insists that she is following low fat/low carb.

She then tells me the standard line we all hear:

"Well, I just read an article and it said that it is really hard on your kidneys and raises your cholesterol, blah blah blah."

My question is why do people read one little blurb and believe it. Why not do your own reading and read lots of books out there both pro and both con?

The funny thing about this whole story is that she did Atkins four years ago and lost 30 pounds. Because she gained it all back, in her mind it doesn't work! :bash:

So, instead of getting angry (well I got a little angry) . . . I just let it go.

She has been going to the gym and following low fat/low calorie for six months with no results. I have been doing this WOE for 1 month, lost 10 pounds and dropped an entire clothing size. "Go figure!"

So, I have resolved to let actions speak louder then words.

Urggggggggg, it is quite frustrating to have justify your actions when you know they are right. Thank goodness for forums like this one, where you can get the support you need.

Venting done. . . back to the positive outlook.

Have a great lc day! :D

Natrushka
Thu, Jan-31-02, 10:15
Terrie, letting it go is the best thing to do - that and leading by example ;) After beating your head against a brick wall long enough you usually begin to realize it hurts - time to stop and move on. Your sister will probably come around - with you and your mother as living, breathing, kidney functioning examples how could she not?

Nat

TerrieP
Thu, Jan-31-02, 10:22
I know, I was actually surprised that it didn't escalate into some blow out (you know how competitive sisters can be).

When she is ready for the information, I will be more than willing to share and show her these boards. But until then, in order to keep family peace, I will just lead by example.

Karen
Thu, Jan-31-02, 11:46
The best thing to do? Become the low-carb poster girl!

You never have to say anything. Keep learning - remember that LC is a journey and not a destination - and prepare yourself for OWL and maintenance.

Your body will speak louder than anything you could ever say.

Karen

Natrushka
Thu, Jan-31-02, 12:00
Originally posted by Karen
remember that LC is a journey and not a destination -

This is something that hit home for me recently. It's about more than fat loss - a lot more. It has become something I do for myself every day to make me feel good - like those pampering bubble baths and pedicure time outs. Losing the fat has become a by product.

I am hoping that this woman I work with will take notice eventually - she's been working out for 2 years, eating 'healthy' and hasn't lost a lb - she's also been recently diagnosed with high blood pressure and is about to be put on medication for it - she's only 43 years old. It is very frustrating.

N

TerrieP
Thu, Jan-31-02, 13:53
I totally agree with the both of you.

It's a plan!

Thanks.

nolly
Fri, Feb-01-02, 18:12
:agree:
I agree with you 100% Nat. Weight loss IS just a by-product. This IS a WOL after all. I feel great & if I don't reach my "goal" I'll still be happy!

:wave: nolly

smiley
Sun, Feb-10-02, 04:52
I don't mention what I am doing anymore.....

For some reason,my family never gives credit where credit is due anyway...
My sister is severely overweight and now has adult onset Diabetes ( she is over 300pds on a 5'4 frame)
My mother is around 145 on a 5'5 frame...BUT she is very physically INactive,,,and snacks all day
I was the one who was 120 pds at 5'6 and in good shape and they constantly said you are anorexic and need to gain weight,,,,,,funny..when I was pregnant and went from 120 to 190
they all told me how healthy I looked,,,,,even after when I had tons of pds left to lose.....

Keep on keepin on and don't worry about the negatives in your life, think only of the positives, only you have to live in your body
and your body is the most important asset you have,live to be happy for yourself not family members.....there are always hidden agendas....sibling rivalry,jealousy,etc....I could go on and on.......

Smiley :wave:

greenildy
Sun, Feb-10-02, 19:43
Family we are given....Friends we choose!!!!

P.S. I will happily send my Mother & Sister your way!