PDA

View Full Version : 'CURVES' for Women gym

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Rachel160
Thu, Jan-31-02, 07:09
Can anyone who has joined this type of club tell me their experience with 'Curves' for women. One recently opened up where I live and my first impression wasn't good. I went there on a Saturday around 2pm and they were closed. When I noticed the hours on the door it was terrible (Banker's hours at best). So I looked through the glass door to see what it looks like in there and it wasn't very inviting either. So I guess before I spend anytime going back to check into any further, I'd like to hear others' comments. I understand this is a chain..so are they all like this or is the one here just not up to snuff?

The major problem I have with it is the hours...just terrible. I can only go in the evenings or weekends and they don't have hours for either (except Saturday till noon) :thdown:

There's a really nice gym near us but I would feel so much more comfortable going somewhere that's just women.
Thanks for any help!

RobinG.
Thu, Jan-31-02, 17:42
Hi Rachel. I looked into curves also. Besides the hours not being good for me at all, I was not too thrilled that they had a registration fee of $75.00. I do know some people who are able to go to it, and I have gotten different opinions. One person I know has lost several inches on that program. (30 minute program, i think you spend 30 seconds on each machine). Another person I know didnt like that it was the same work out every time she went. Also, another thing that you should check into before you sign up is if they have a contract or can you go month to month? Have you ever belonged to a gym before? I do not know if curves also offers weight machines or classes, but if youre looking for a variety of exercises, you might want to look at a different gym. Good luck!

misselly
Sat, Feb-02-02, 19:07
I have been at Curves for over 2 months now.... I have lost 12 inches. They are helping alot of women who would ordinarily not join exercise clubs. Their weight loss classes are all about low carb. It is very encouraging to hear what we believe. I also pass on our web site at every opportunity.

fern2340
Sat, Feb-02-02, 22:22
Hey MissElly!
I merged your Curves encourages LC thread here because a discussion had been taking place already about Curves. I tried to PM you but you do not have enough posts yet.

Congrats on the inches lost! Keep up the good work!

Linda

aim1616
Mon, Feb-04-02, 12:42
I've ben a member for about 9 months (off & on) in Reno, NV. It gives me a lot of energy in the morning. I go when they open (here) at 6 a.m. and I'm home by 6:40ish. I like it because; it gets your heart beat going without making you drown in your own sweat, I can look awful and not worry about there being any guys there & I don't really care what the women there think of me at 6 a.m. (side note none of them look like the Cindy Crawfords that I use to dread being in the same room as at other gyms), cheap (I signed up for 1 year automatic withdrawl and it costs me $29 a month and a one time $20 joining fee—note: I did sign a 1 year contract though- I know you can go mo-mo but I’m sure mo-mo could not have been more than $40 at most), quick-- in and out in under 45 min. (workout is 30 but I stretch and do situps after), upbeat music to keep you going, it's 1/4 mile from my house & friendly staff (atleast here).

There are now 2 in Reno but the one I go to is open M-F 6a.m-7p.m. (good hours for me because I will only get my butt to the gym in the morning). He, he, he......gotta laugh, I am a banker so I guess the hours work for me. However, each curves has different hours--depending when they want to be open. The 2 Reno ones are different hours.

They weigh/ measure you once a month to track your progress and you sign in each time you come in to track your own attendance.

The drill is that there are fitness/ light weight machines (that focus on everything from your arms down to your calves) alternated with run/ walk in place stations. Every 15 or 30 (not sure) seconds you switch stations --rotating in a circle (3 circles= 30 minute curves workout). Anywho that’s my f.y.i. on curves. Here are a couple of web sites for you to check out on curves:

http://www.curvesforwomen.com

http://www.ut-biz.com/curvesforwomen/

:wave: Amy

DebB
Tue, Feb-05-02, 00:12
I've been going to 'Curves' for 3.5 months now. I joined when one opened in our town. I just love it. Being an exercise 'novice', this fit the bill for me. I love the fact that it's only women too!

The hours aren't a problem for me, but they are limited. Ours isn't open Sat or Sun. I go 3x a week and I haven't missed a day.

If you put 100% intensity into the machines and fatigue your muscles, you're going to get a strength training workout. If you don't put intensity into the workout, you'll be getting just a good aerobic workout. On my 3 month anniversary, these were my losses:

bust 2"
waist 5"
abdomen 2.75
hips 1.5
thighs 1
arms 2.5
weight 16#

I'm also Somersizing (11 months) and have lost 74.5# total. *Ü*

Sinlaila
Thu, Feb-14-02, 18:52
I joined Curves on Feb 9th and I absolutely LOVE it! :rheart: I have been looking for what I call a "remedial" program of exercise for years. I have never been able to do the programs at regular gyms and give up on walking since it gets so boring. At Curves, it's just 30 - 40 minutes, keeps me moving to the music and I know I can get thru doing any machine for 35 seconds at a time. I highly recommend Curves to any woman that needs a starting place when it comes to exercise. :agree:

Tracern77
Wed, Mar-06-02, 17:23
Don't mean to be advertising, but this gym I just joined is great...for the women that is. It's called Curves. I just went today for the second time. I'm excited to see the inches go like others I have talked to about this facility. Anyone else a Curves member? What kind of results are you seeing? Just curious. :)

fern2340
Wed, Mar-06-02, 19:06
Hi Tracern77,
I merged your thread here with all the other Curves threads. As you can see, there are some other members who belong.

nill4me
Thu, Mar-14-02, 06:13
Thank goodness I found this thread....

I am not a Curves memeber, because there is not one in my area! I am however, thinking of purchasing and opening one here. We already have 2 pro-fitness and 1 gold's gym within a 50 mile radius....but I really REALLY like the idea of a place just for people.....like me! I dont want to be gauggled over...dont want to be judged, want to be with other women who feel the same way. I dont want to life 500LBS a day, dont want to run 85 miles...I want a quick workout for me.

I can tell you this....Each Curves is individually owned and operated, and so the hours will definitely vary per 'shop'. I know that if my husband and I do indeed open one...it will be during the times that people like to work out! i.e., :wave: We would be open from 5AM - 9or10PM, for the first few months to see when peak times were...then scale back from there, if need be.

I know that Curves promotes LC, and stresses measurement, not scales. thank goodnes. I would want to have other equipment , i.e., treadmills...if the franchise will allow....it may be a stipulation that you do not....i'll find out more about that when I get my information from the company...I can keep anyone posted that would like to know ;)

My sister has been at a Curve by her for a month, and has lost 4.5 inches...she feels great, loves the quick workout, and quick results....she is like me, and would never set foot in a gym.

Also keep in mind that the 'membership fee' the 75.00, is a lifetime deal...and comes with travel passes, i believe......there are curves all over the place! so if you are on travel, and you can find one....you can go!! :roll:

enemyhal
Sun, Apr-14-02, 10:20
hi all
I have been a member of Curves for 1 month, I go 2-3x per week(would go more but the hrs of oper. are terrible for me!)
But, I have seen improvement,8 in. loss in 30 days :p
As far as being LC friendly, it must depend on which location you go to.The women who owns the one I go to is NOT LC friendly.She is the woman who sarcastically said to me "...you have been doing Atkins for 9 months and you are still walking around?" She is just lucky that I was determined to start an exercise program and I liked Curves.Now I go and mind my own business and try to ignore her, because I WILL have teh last laugh when I reach goal :Party:
I did pay a $79 registration fee and pay $29 plus tax($30.74)per month on a one year contract. My one mistake was not noticing how poor the hrs were before signing on(but Fern, I will not let that wall defeat me :D )
thanx and have a great day!

Lizpat
Mon, Apr-15-02, 12:19
I joined CFW last month and I LOVE it, no spandex here....everyone seems cheerful.

I agree I would like different hours (early morning), but I'm doing well stopping on my way home from work -- trying to do 3-5 x a week.

I'm looking forward to my remeasure next week.

I am surprised that LCing was nixed. The founder of Curves for Women support LCing, they even sell a book explaining it and mapping out a plan! But as it has been mentioned, each one is "owned" so they are entitled to their opinions.

I'm sold on Lcing and CFW !!!

rainny
Wed, May-01-02, 16:03
Well they opened up a curves for women just a few miles from me...and so I can go there and excerise again!! It's curcit training and the results are really good! Please I now have and excerise buddy who is converting to low-carb! BUT that is not the good news!! The good news is they have a diet plan now & it is

:D :yay: :D !!!LOW CARB!!! :D :yay: :D

I asked what the level was and they said they start off as 20 carbs for 2 weeks then max out at about 40 depending on the person. So kinda an atkins thing...no ffiber subtracting though.
Anyway...if you are looking for a work out program were there isn't thongs or more of a dating service feel...this is the place!!

Oh and they are #3 in the forbs {?} 500

Lorraine

fern2340
Wed, May-01-02, 19:44
Lorraine-
I am so happy to see you around!!!!!!!!!!!!! I merged your thread with this one so all the Curves posts would stay together. As you can see, there are lots of others you have joined Curves. Can't wait to see you around more!!

take care!
Linda

rainny
Thu, May-02-02, 09:05
Glad to see allot of people have found curves! And I'm even happier that they are promoting low carb! I enjoy curves...always have. I just didn't go because it was to far for me. Now it is only 10 minutes instead of 45! Much better.
I do think everyone should try the work out before brushing it off. Its fast...and I never felt like I got into a rut with it. Plus the machines are placed inward so that you can talk to each other...GREAT GIRL TALK! This is great for me since I deal with men all day, which I enjoy! But talking to women...is always needed. Plus now it is a great way to find other low carbers!!
Lorraine

pmh
Sat, May-04-02, 15:10
Hi everybody,

I have been going to the Curves in my neighbourhood since Feb 26/02 and I LOVE IT. The hours for my location are Monday to Friday 7am til 8 pm, and Saturdays til noon. The program was designed to meet the needs (diet and fitness) of the overweight (or not!) busy woman.

It is franchise owned, so I guess your gym is as good as your franchise owner.

I think its great that there are no men, no leotards, no potentially annoying instructors...

I think it is great that you can drop in any time.... not just when the 'class starts'. The machines are not boring, the music is always changing, and it is great to meet lots of interesting women and talk (sort of) while you do the circuit.

The founders (Gary and Diane Heavin) have written a book about their program, and in it was my first intro to low carbing! I was on the 20g per day 'diet' for two weeks, and now am eating between 40 to 60 grams per day...... The Curves center offers a six week support (one session per week) to introduce the 'diet', to help with FAQ, menues, recipes... and offers peer to peer encouraging feedback.

Since Feb 26, I have lost a total of 14 1/2 inches and six pounds.

I think they(Curves) may have saved my life! :cheer:

Pat

Lisa N
Sat, May-11-02, 06:39
I guess the franchises aren't all the same. There's a Curves For Women close to where I work so I went yesterday to check it out hoping that I could do the workout on my lunch hour. I only talked to the woman briefly and set up an appointment for next week to sit down and go over the program, but when I told her that I had been low carbing for about a year she went on an on about how 40% of what I've lost is probably muscle mass since I haven't been doing weight resistance training with it. I know that this isn't true since I've been eating plenty of protein and it isn't metabolically efficient for our bodies to consume it's own muscle in the presence of adequate dietary protein, but I was on my lunch hour and didn't have the time to debate her about it and I know from how I look and feel that I haven't lost 25 lbs. of muscle. Still...I'm looking forward to doing the weight resistance training; it looks like fun!

Marti66
Mon, May-20-02, 12:14
Does anyone know if Curves has reached the Los Angeles area??? Sound like the type of gym I could get into. I have a Bally's about 5 blocks away, but the people that go there don't look to me like they need to work out! All these great bodies coming in and out of there! I just want to go somewhere where a couple of 20 year olds aren't pointing at me and saying, "See, that's why I don't want to have kids!" :D

MaltoMeel
Sun, May-26-02, 19:37
I joined a Curves in NJ about 1 month ago. I LOVE the workout. As a new Mom, I have very little time to go to the gym and workout. I am out and back in less than an hour including travel time. I know they are all individually owned, so each location has different hours. I responded to a "coupon" and was able to get a free week as well as a $40 initiation fee (not $75). I signed up for a year at 29$/mo. You can get out of the contract if need be. I will be measured on Tuesday. I know it's been working , as my pants button for the first time since I gave birth in February!

enemyhal
Sun, May-26-02, 22:58
Way to go Jill, keep up the good work! And remember, inches are as important as pounds:) My last measure, I weighed the same:(, but had lost 6 inches.Best of luck to you. :daze:

MaltoMeel
Mon, May-27-02, 10:22
Thank you so much. Congrats to you! What amazing stats. How great do you feel : )??? How long have you been LCing??? I would love to hear your success story!

enemyhal
Mon, May-27-02, 22:16
You are welcome Jill and thank you too! I have been LCing for 1 year (start May16,2001) and have NEVER felt better! As a matter of fact, I had no idea I felt SO badly before locarb:) The greatest thing for me , so far, is being more active, correction, WANTING to be more active and having the energy and stamina to do so many more fun things.One day I will write "my" story, though it is not exciting or different from any others here, but it works for me LOL.
Well, continued good luck with LC and with Curves :p Talk to you later..................Amy

CelticKell
Sat, Jun-01-02, 19:06
Hey Rachel,
I just started Curves so I can't make a long term statement but Ido like it so far... I know the hours can be hard for some people but it works out for me.
I've never been a really disciplined exerciser before and this helps me with some accountability.
I hope you give it a try... can't hurt! I find the staff really supportive.
Good luck :thup: :D

Lolabug
Mon, Jun-03-02, 07:59
I go to Curves too. I manage to squeeze it in after work and right before I pick up my daughter. Perfect for me.
I've been a member since the end of February. Didn't really go too regularly because I was getting sick from my daughter. (Oh the joys of having a kid in daycare!)

Just got weighed and measured last week (one of things I really love about Curves) and since I joined, I've lost 15 pounds and 9 inches. The atmosphere is really supportive and I love it there.

Since they are all francises, each is a bit different in hours. I just wish they were open on Sundays when my daughter is with her father. Saturdays are tooooo busy for me.

If you're thinking about joining, they have a website, www.curvesforwomen.com. Check it out for more info and locations.

Lolabug.

Califsue
Mon, Jul-15-02, 22:45
As a manager of Curves for Women, I have seen results. As in any exercise program, you have to exercise to get results, not just become a member. You must commit to at least 3 times a week to see results.

We are very excited about hitting that 100 mark soon! I have one member that has lost 92 pounds and 70 inches in the last year. She joined July of 2001 and by the end of July 2002 she will be down 100 POUNDS!

Curves is FAST, FUN AND EFFECTIVE. You get a TOTAL body work out in just 30 minutes. The machines are hydraulic resistance, so anyone can do it.

If you have one near you, check it out! :wave:

Califsue

Catbert
Thu, Jul-18-02, 08:24
Glad I found this thread! I have been thinking about joing Curves for the last couple of months. I am walking but My shins are killing me. I am going in on Sat to check it out. Thanks for the info everyone. PS Our's cost $140 Registration Fee and $29*- per month. They are having a 1/2 off sale so Registration is now right at the $74-75 amt. Thanks Cats

brianna53
Sat, Jul-20-02, 23:47
I've been going to curves just over a month now. I have lost 8.5 iinches. I love it that I don't have to figure out what exercise/machine to do next. I recommend this gym, not only for that, but also for the fact that it is women only which makes me more comfortable. Brianna

lilwannabe
Sun, Jul-21-02, 00:18
I have been looking for something besides my hiking...I just came across this thread, and thought this would be perfect for me. I found the closest one to me, and will be calling them on Monday to set up an appointment to try it out!

Thanks everyone!

jannywanny
Sun, Jul-21-02, 23:12
Hi. I joined curves last july 8th of 2001 and I have lost 93 pds. I love the program and the staff....... I will admit I hate the hours BUT I have made arrangements around their schedule.

I think if you join the right gym and work out at least 4 days a week it will work for you and sometimes you need to be the aggressive person in a gym to make new friends. Thank god for curves its helped me.........

Janice
312pds
NOW 219 pds and still losing. Good luck to all.

Catbert
Mon, Jul-29-02, 07:52
Hi Guys -

I joined Curves on the 20th/ Jul and went three times last week. I love it!! I can't wait to go again today. I really work up a sweat but my heart rate is right on target! The time goes by so quickly! Does anyone know what harm if any it could do to go say Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat? I am thinking that I would really like to do that but the staff there says three times is enough per week and you don't want to over do it. Just curious. Hope everyone has a good day - Cats

Lolabug
Mon, Jul-29-02, 08:47
I think 4 times a week is probably okay. I wouldn't do any more because I would save that for if you get into a stall. Personally, I would go 5 - 6 times a week for two weeks if I was in a stall to boost my metabolism, then go back to what I was regularily doing.

Just my personal opinon tho'. But 4 times a week versus 3 times, I wouldn't worry.

Alena.

jannywanny
Mon, Jul-29-02, 13:32
HI Cats... Congratulations on your new way of life... Curves is the place to be. I went 5 times a week when I could and I believe that the more times you go the better.Keep up the good work and drink plenty of water. If you need to email me please do at jannywanny~earthlink.net

Catbert
Tue, Jul-30-02, 07:45
Thanks guys -

I really do love the work out. I think I had a sub standard introduction to the program however. The staff person had her little 2-3 year old with her and it was very disruptive. All she did was have me fill out the paperwork - measured and wieghed me. Then on my first workout the girl who trained me was pretty good at helping me understand the right way to do the machines. But didn't mention anything about intensity. I was giving it my all on the aroebic stations where as I should have been giving it on the machines and recovering at the aroebic stations. I learned that on the website. Oh well - I love it anyway. I really stink when I get out of there! I'll probably need to go 5 times a week after my vacation! My hubby & I are off for the next 2 wks starting Mon. Yippeeee!! We are taking our Boys on several day trips here & there. Anybody ever lc at Six Flags!!!!!! heehee - Have a great day - Cats

wanabthin
Tue, Jul-30-02, 12:30
I'm thinking about joining Curves this weekend. Is it a good place for me to start? I hope there's some other big women there. At least theres no men. ha ha I'll see them in a year or too! ha ha Does anyone else go there. I've never been to a healt club before. Thanks in advance.

Natrushka
Tue, Jul-30-02, 12:38
Wanna, I moved your post to the General Exercise Forum. If you click on the link below you'll see that there is a pretty active discussion going on here on this very topic. It should answer your questions :)

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32357

Nat

vbrowne
Tue, Jul-30-02, 13:48
Does anyone know of a Curves in Toronto? I looked at their website but nothing gives me Canada.

Thanks - This is the first time i'd ever heard of Curves

Catbert
Wed, Jul-31-02, 07:06
Wanna - Curves is the best place to start. There are women of all shapes and sizes and I think they must have banned spandex or something because I've not seen anyone in that intimidating wear. All the women at my curves are really supportive. We all are there for the same thing :) It goes so quick and I get almost euphoric (sp?) when working out. I like walking in but I love walking out! I feel refreshed and ready to go. I even feel fit! Good luck and I am sure that if you try it you will be hooked!! :dazzle: Cats

Lolabug
Wed, Jul-31-02, 07:13
I totally agree with Cats.
Their website is www.curvesforwomen.com
Click on franchise locations, the second map is Canada. click on your province and you will get a list of locations in that province by city.
Alena.

Carleen
Tue, Aug-06-02, 07:32
Hello, everyone. I like Curves because there is no impact (except when marching in place). I have degenerative arthritis and have to be very careful about my joints.

After my first month at Curves I lost 4% body fat. Then after a couple more months I had lost 3% more. In between I had had an arthritis flare up and I really thought I would not see a loss - but I did and I'm really happy about that!!!

There are women there who are every shape and size - some days I actually feel thin!!!

:wave:

GLHB~Rinoa
Sun, Aug-18-02, 06:22
Hi I am glad I found this thread. I have been going to curves since April of this year, and I love it. I only go 3 times a week and spend 30 min on their machines and a few minutes stretching. I have fibromyalgia, thought that it would effect it for the worse, but so far my muscles are alot more limber and my stamina is much improved. I haven't got measured in a few months. But the last time they measured me. I had lost 3 inches of my waist, I was impressed. And what I like about it is I don't feel like I am beating myself all up. you go at your pace.

Catbert
Mon, Aug-19-02, 09:23
Hi everyone -

I am back from vacation and happy to report that I met all of my works outs for the entire two weeks. I am didn't stick completly to lc during that time but I kept up my work outs and didn't gain anything. Didn't loose anything either - but at least I didn't gain! Hope everyone is doing well! Cats

DIANNA711
Mon, Aug-19-02, 16:30
i joined a exercise program just for woman only,called contours, its almost the same as curves, and i really enjoy it but i do tend to get bored, so i started jazzercise and i just love it, and i try to alternate days, on the days that i dont go to contours i go to jazzercise, even thought ive not lost any weight, i reallly just feel better, i started the adkins diet 2 weeks ago and lost and regained but iam not giving up. diann

fangdiego
Sat, Aug-31-02, 23:31
Last month an exercise chain called curves for women opened in our town. I was wondering if anyone had used them and if they had results. I am a little bored with my routine and thought about trying it out. :o Thanks

pattierpm
Sat, Sep-21-02, 15:06
They just opened a Curves in my area. Has anybody tried it and if so what is your opinion?
Are you able to sign up month to month ar do you have to commit to a year? I am bad on commitment. I have done it a few times and end up losing money because I don't go.
I know I am bad in this area but that's jus me. At least I don't fool myself. ;)

MarieC
Mon, Sep-23-02, 11:37
I tried a Curves here in Florida for about 8 months. I had several issues:

1. Got bored with the routine
2. The hours were awful
3. Local management of ours wasn't very good. Anything to save a penny and it was HOT in there and sometimes they didn't even turn on the lights!

I'm sure some are better than others - but the one here wasn't a good experience.

lilwannabe
Mon, Sep-23-02, 17:43
I know that you do not have to commit yourself to a full year if you don't wish to...and if you do sign the contract, you can back out of it..(with a penalty of course). I so far have really enjoyed Curves...it is quick and easy, and the members are all there for the same thing...It is not a pick up joint..(Obviously with just women...lol) It is just normal people trying to get in an exercise routine...at least that is my observation. And I have yet to see someone in a tight little t-bar type outfit!!!

Tiggerdy
Tue, Oct-08-02, 12:56
Just to put my 2 cents worth in...

I joined Curves in April of this year when one opened up in my town. Our hours are decent and the majority of the staff is great (a few slackers...). In fact, the owner opened up 2 Curves shops b/c it worked for her! There is also another employee who lost 80+ lbs. doing the Curves routine.

Anyhoo, I didn't lose any weight, I actually gained 5 lbs., but I only gained muscle (results from BMI meter) and I lost significant inches. Now, with LCing and going to Curves, it's falling off much faster! :hyper:

The circuit training thing isn't for everyone as people do get bored, but I enjoy not having to worry about moving to different rooms to take care of different things-- as you'd have to do in some larger gyms. Plus, no spandex or guys gawking is a big bonus! ;)

Good luck to everyone! :)

Nikki :daizy:

Daise
Fri, Oct-11-02, 00:00
I recently joined Curves for Women in my area....I absolutely LOVE IT!! I am a student, so I am only committed for 5 months and it only cost me $150!

Anyways, I have a question. 3 weeks of the month I live in one location and go to Curves in that city....I stay in another city 1 week per month....during that one week am I allowed to go to another Curves besides the one I signed up at?? :confused:

Please reply!!! Someone!!

lilwannabe
Fri, Oct-11-02, 00:11
I know that for me, I can just ask for a pass to go to different Curves...I would imagine that the Curves in the East is the same...But why don't you ask at your Curves just to be sure... :)

Daise
Fri, Oct-11-02, 00:16
I think tomorrow I'll just show up at the other location and see if they let me in or not. hehe :D

vbrowne
Fri, Oct-11-02, 06:40
I have a flyer that states "Membership is honoured at more than 2,500 Curves locations" - you can go anywhere in Canada, US, Spain & Mexico.

Tiggerdy
Fri, Oct-11-02, 07:04
I think my 'home' Curves issues people a traveling pass to use at other Curves shops while their on vacation, traveling or due to schedule conflicts, etc.

I know my friend signed up at the Curves near her work to use during the week, but she uses the Curves near her house on the weekends w/no problem.

Each location may handle things a little differently, but I'm pretty positive that you can use your membership at various locations as long as you use your 'home' Curves most frequently.

Happy workout!

Daise
Fri, Oct-11-02, 11:49
thankyou for your replies...i am on my way over there right now!!! :hyper:

ok, scrap that....i am going in an hour...they are closed for lunch right now. hehe

lajjs
Mon, Oct-14-02, 06:02
I have been with curves for 6 months. I really enjoy it. The hours that Curves has set in our area have evenings and early mornings, which makes it really nice. You go when you can and do not have to wait for a class to start. You do 30 min on the machines and then you are done. They have aeorobic and weight resistant machines. You go in a rotation and do 30 sec on each machine. I have lost 15 lbs and 17 inches. They also promote high protein low carb and they have their own book and guidlines. Which I have also been following for about 3 months. I would encourage you to try it atleast. It has been great for me.

Hope this helps, If you have any other questions let me know.

Amy

Pawderella
Mon, Oct-14-02, 09:13
I've been going to Curves for about 5 months. The first two months I gained 3 pounds and was pretty discouraged, but I stuck with it. The 4th month the weight started falling off. I go 3-4 times per week and have lost 24 pounds, which includes 11 pounds of body fat. I have been at this weight before, but I was not able to wear the size I do right now. This type of exercise has made all the difference. I like the fact that the workout is only 30 minutes, that way no matter how I feel, I know I only have to stick it out for a half hour. I have also noticed that I have more energy and don't get winded as easily. It's a great program!!

lajjs
Tue, Oct-15-02, 08:06
Has anyone who has been going to Curves used their low carb diet. It is outlined in the book you receive. If there is anyone I have a question on it. I have been at my weight for about a month now and it says in the book to start eating again to speed up your metabolism, just for a few days and then start back on the low carb. Has anyone had to do that and has it worked? :wave:

AnitaB
Tue, Oct-15-02, 10:25
I joined CFW because of the short workout.

I work from 8:45 till 2:15, so I don't get a full 1 hr lunch break.

I can't excersise before work (2 small children) and I can't excersise after work because I'm picking up those 2 small children.

So I take a 45 min lunch and I get there & back in that time. The first month I lost 5 inches from my stomach area!

I like the people and I like the workout. Since it is only a 30min workout, I give it all I've got and it's working.

I did pay a $100 startup fee (This is Canada) and I pay 39$ per month.

I was paying almost that anyway for a traditional gym membership that I was not attending. So I've canceled that and I go to Curves 4-5 x per week.

Tiggerdy
Tue, Oct-15-02, 10:32
I went in to Curves yesterday to do my regular workout and they got a new machine! YAY! This machine specifically works your oblique muscles- and boy does it ever! ;)

Just thought I'd share that and to see if this machine has done anything for those of you who may have been using it for a while. My mid-section is the big trouble maker- I am losing in my hips and waist, but not much (if any) in the ab region.

Anyhoo- Happy Curving!

vbrowne
Tue, Oct-15-02, 11:14
I'm really looking forward to joining Curves - the one near my work opens next Monday and I have my assessment then. The only thing that I'm not looking forward to is the fact that there isn't any shower facilities - hopefully it won't be too much of an issue, but I know when I've done aerobics in the past, I'm pretty drenched and very very red - has anyone else had to deal with this? I'll be going on my lunch hour then back to work for the rest of the day.

Daise
Tue, Oct-15-02, 11:34
I am also a very sweaty/red-faced exerciser, but at Curves I never get that. I always feel like I've gotten a good workout, but I never leave looking as worn out as I did when I used to go to aerobics. Actually, at my Cruves location there are 2 showers, but they don't get used. I've never seen anyone leave concerned about showering first. Actually, this is probably the main reason why I like Curves so much. :thup:

vbrowne
Tue, Oct-15-02, 11:38
Daise - thanks for your reply - that makes me feel better. At least with the weather a bit cooler now it will help too.

Vikki

AnitaB
Tue, Oct-15-02, 12:26
I'm a red-faced sweater as well!

At my Curves, they always have a basket of washcloths and they also have some nice BodyShop sprays, etc.

I get a washcloth all wet & soapy and in the washroom I wash under my arms, etc and put on deodarant and clean clothes and go back to work! It seems to work fine.

unsweetend
Wed, Oct-16-02, 15:55
A Curves for Women just opened here in Richmond, BC yesterday if any of you locals are interested in checking it out. I signed up after reading all the great comments in this forum - so thank you every one!

They have a signup special for the first 100 members, 66% off the initial payment, so it's definitely a deal if you're at all interested.

They are located by the Canadian Tire in Ironwood (Steveston Hwy & #5 Road) There is a new building towards the back of the complex so you don't easily see it from the street, but that's where they are!

I'm looking forward to some great results. I'm almost at 60 lbs lost and I feel my body getting kind of spongy because of the lack of fat under my skin... so time to tone up!

Barbiedoll
Mon, Oct-21-02, 15:48
Hello I have been going to Curves for 4 months now. When mine opened up I joined and they waved the sign up fee. I did sign a contract so I would get my butt there everyday. I pay $29.00 a month. I lost a total of 9 1/2 inches my first month. I have lost a total of 13 inches so far. I have lost 11 pounds on their diet as well It is similar to Atkin's. I would reccomend you go for the week trial period then let it speak for itself. You feel great after you go. I sweat more than I evfer did at the gym or Jazzercise. Good Luck! :wave:

Bevb
Wed, Oct-23-02, 04:39
HI,
Just had to reply to this thread. I just finished my first month at Curves and lost 5 1/2 inches and 1.5% body fat. I am so happy. I have been on Atkins since January and lose very slowly, knew I had to do something else to get this weight moving again. I have lost 30 lbs so far, but if I lose 1 lb a month I am lucky.
I am 64 yrs old and hypothyroid which makes it much harder.
Needless to say, my weight stayed the same in this first month, but I figure it is more muscle weight. I am hoping the weight will start moving too in the second month.
I really enjoy Curves, not hard for an older person and I am in and out in no time.
I go three times a week and on other days use the threadmill and am going a mile a day and will work up to more eventually.
It is getting too cold here to walk outside unless we have a few more nice fall days.
I really enjoy this thread to see how others are doing.
Bev in Wisconsin :cheer:

vbrowne
Wed, Oct-30-02, 14:55
Bevb

How long did it take you to see results - yours are fantastic in the first month - I hope I can achieve the same. I've done 4 sessions so far and really look forward to going and doing the circuit. I just can't wait to see some results for more inspiriation.

Thanks.

Bevb
Wed, Oct-30-02, 17:57
HI
Curves weighs once every month you are there, this was my first month. I really can't see the difference, but I sure can feel it. I feel so much stronger than before. I did not lose any weight, but didn't gain either. I think the reason is building muscle that weighs more, but my clothes are showing the difference. I have been on Atkins since January and have lost 30 lbs. As I work on a computer all day, I knew I needed more to get off this stall I was in.
I think Curves will do it, can't wait till next month to see what happens. I get weighed and measured the 21st of each month.
:wiggle:
Bev

Mjsturg1
Fri, Nov-01-02, 10:47
I have been a member for 6 mos now I am 5'2" and 150 lbs I have
lost some inches (that is if they were measuring me in the same spots) which is debateable anyway, I would have thought since I have been watching what I am eating in comparison to before I joined that I wouldve lost some weight by now.... at which point exactly is this muscle supposed to burn this fat off?? Do I have to low carb for results ? Obviously just exercise isnt enough...
Anyone else have similiar results or ideas of whats going on???

Bevb
Fri, Nov-01-02, 20:49
Hi
You are probably building more muscle which weighs more than fat so you might not notice the change in weight as much as the change in inches.
I have been on Atkins since January and am in a stall so started Curves. I did not lose weight in the first month of Curves, but I didn't gain any either.
I think to lose weight you also need a good eating program, but it will take time to for a weight lose to show because of muscle weight. You should see your self toning though. Do you feel stronger, I certainly do. I can climb stairs faster and not get winded. My legs do not get as tired anymore. I feel better all around. And I am 64 years old.
I still have a long way to go, but I will keep working at it.
So have patience and it will certainly start showing all your hard work.

:daze: :roll:
Bev

Cyprinodon
Wed, Nov-06-02, 14:11
Bev:

I started exercising in 1985. Today I am 42. I don't remember what lead to this statement the other day but my couch potato husband remarked: "In 10 years, you won't be doing all of this exercising anymore." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Schwarz
Fri, Nov-08-02, 19:44
I am looking to find info on the diet that Curves puts out called the "Heavin Formula ". Are any of you following this weight loss method along with your Curves routine?

A few of us got a thread started inquiring about the diet. In order to keep exercise talk separate from the diet talk, would you mind responding to my question about the Heavin Formula diet under the following thread (hope this shortcut works) : http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69068

I hope you don't mind the added inconvenience of having to put your answers under another thread.

vbrowne
Thu, Nov-14-02, 11:04
I've been going to Curves since October 24, 3 x per week - I feel great, have lost weight and inches (don't know yet how much, because I'm not weighing in until next Thursday, but my clothes feel looser). I am following the curves WOL, which is LC and LF - a lot wouldn't like it because at first you're hungry, but it fits me much better because it's less food intake, I'm still keeping my fat content relatively high, eat protein with every meal and don't feel deprived at all.

AlluraD
Sat, Nov-16-02, 11:44
Hi everyone~
I just joined Curves today!! My sister goes and has for about 2 years. She never has had a weight problem ans is pretty small......normal I guess.........she has toned up so much..........lost 20 inches over all and 12 lbs..........I am so excited about starting!!!

unsweetend
Mon, Nov-18-02, 12:06
Had my first re-measurement session at Curves today, was very hesitant about results because I was wearing jeans and a sweater when I was first measured, and this time was in work out clothes.... she started, and after each one all I could think was "no way" (too many inches gone)... then she got to my abdomen and hips and they were the same - so I guess the others were accurate - quite a surprise!

Body fat % was only down a little bit, but all in all I'm happy with the results in that I think I only made it 3X a week, two of the weeks, 2X one week, and missed last week totally! Now I really need to ramp it up as my next measuring session will need to keep me focused during the Chritmas season.

I must say too, I'm really surprised at how there hasn't been a bordeom factor settle in with me. I thought that would be a big problem, but I think it's because it feels like you're in and out of there so fast! I'm loving it so far!

Sandra

AlluraD
Mon, Nov-18-02, 12:17
Hi sandra~
Sounds like you are doing fine!! :)

I start tonight, first time, I am really excited that I have finally gotten up the steam to begin!! I'm going to try and go at least three times aweek........life happens I know!! Gonna try at least..................I want to see a difference. Like you said, a great motivator to get thru the holidays~

Keep up the good fight~

Bevb
Mon, Nov-25-02, 05:44
Hello again,
I had my weigh in last week and was a little disappointed. I lost 3/4 in and no weight. Body fat stayed the same.
I had someone else weigh me and I think that might make a difference. I now have 2 months in and feel so strong. I can almost run up a flight of stairs instead of walking.
I can walk a much greater distance without huffing and puffing.
My clothes seem to fit much better.
This is all good.
I weigh in just before Christmas, so hope it moves then, I am planning on not going off my WOE, but it will be hard.
Went away for the weekend and used the hotel fitness room so I didn't mess up my schedule of excercise.
Love Curves for Women :rheart:

AlluraD
Mon, Nov-25-02, 05:57
Hi BevB~
You are doing fantastic!!! :cheer:
I know that we want that durn scale to move down...............but you listed soooooooo many other things and ways that you have progressed. Hope you will keep thinking about them and not let the scale throw you. It feels wonderful to feel your body change and get stronger.
Keep up the great job!!! :wave:

Provrb
Fri, Dec-20-02, 19:04
So far my experience has been pleasant.

I had been seeing Curve gyms popping up everywhere. When I took a peek inside one of them, I thought they were in the process of upgrading or moving out. Turns out all of them looked the same. This turned me off. I had been at a pricey fitness club here in New York and I thought only that type of environment could lead to results.

Earlier this month, my husband and I decided it was ENOUGH. We gained way too much weight since we married in 2000. We decided to diet (LC) and exercise. I made my way over to Curves. The price was right and when I did a trial run, I could tell this would be the type of thing I could succeed at.

I am aiming for 2 lbs. loss a week and so far that is what I have seen. I have to admit though, Im a little sore after my workouts. ;)

Linfriend
Fri, Dec-27-02, 00:11
:yay: Curves works for me. I've been going for a month. I lost 4 & 1/2 inches. I didn't lose any weight but 2 & 1/2 inches off my abdomen and that was the biggest part of me. It cost me $108.00 to join but the Curves in the adjacent town was having a special I found out about the same day so My first $32.00 monthly payment doesn't happen until February. I find it is so easy I couldn't imagine it working but the loss of inches proves it. I signed up for a year with automatic withdrawal so it's less expensive. I think the monthly charge otherwise is $40.00. I was only going three times a week. I haven't been going as often the last two weeks because my car broke down but go as often as I can and am getting other exercise anyway. I'll start going regularly and more once I have my car back on the road. They give Curves Bucks here also. Yu get one buck if you go three times a week and five bucks for five days. You use the bucks to buy curves merchandise like sports bottles, t'shirts, etc. I'm glad I joined. I'll be checking in here once in a while to keep up on other peoples opinions. I really like the fact that everybody there is regular people. Vicki :wave:

Bevb
Fri, Dec-27-02, 05:49
Hi Linfriend
I had my weigh in on the 21st, good day as with the holidays I now have a month before next one. Gives me time to get the holiday mistakes off.
I lost another inch and 1 pound, which isn't alot but still moving down. Also lost another 1% body fat which means more muscle.

I feel so good. Don't worry about not following through. After the first few weeks it gets to be habit and you won't want to miss. I have met so many fun people there and you get to know them personally.

I go three times a week and they say that is enough. Maybe in summer when I can cut back to part time at work I will go oftener.

Bevb

Linfriend
Fri, Dec-27-02, 09:32
Yes, I'll keep going whenever I can. In fact I'm going to call the transportation Company that requires a day ahead call in. I'm going to set up times to be picked up and delivered and returned home instead of relying on friends and neighbors for rides there and back. I think Curves is the best gym I've ever looked into or tried. :wave: Vicki

windy
Fri, Dec-27-02, 11:32
I have been going to Curves since May 15th. I love it. I have done very well, or at least I am pleased with the results.

I go three times a week also and love it because 30 minutes is not a long time. When nice weather gets back I will ride my bike with dh at night.

Wanted to share my stat with you all. I feel like I have lost a good amount of inches 29 in all.

Bust 4.25 inches
Waist 6.00 inches
Abdomen 6.75 inches
Hips 2.00 inches
Thighs 5.00 inches
Claves 4.00 inches
Arms 1.00 inches

I am glad that a Curves has come to our area. As a matter of fact there are several and all doing well.

I would also like to share that Mother, 80 years old, goes 5 days a week and loves it.

Windy(Linda)

Linfriend
Fri, Dec-27-02, 12:26
I ahve to agree. Curves really works. I've got to go today. :wave: Vicki

mkathy6
Sat, Dec-28-02, 05:44
Curves does work!!!

I started Nov 4th and I lost 11 lbs and 6.5 inches but I have a question anyone gain inches, they said I gain 2 inches on my thighs. it doesn't seem right because my pants are baggy.

Maybe i won't know until my next weigh and measure on the 4th.

Wishing you all well.

Kathy

Bevb
Sat, Dec-28-02, 07:19
Kathy,
You are doing great. They told me that it can depend on who is doing the measuring. They might hold the tape differently. Also you are building muscle and that may also be the reason why.
If your clothes are feeling looser in that area, I wouldn't worry about it.
I have noticed my pants seem looser in that area also, but thighs did not change in size.

Also wearing different style bra can make that area measure differently. I now try to wear the same clothes for weigh in at least until they get really big, which I hope is soon.

Bevb :roll: :roll: :roll:

mkathy6
Tue, Dec-31-02, 14:14
Another question about Curves. Does anyone count the reps they do on each machine?

I was trying to get at least 12 in then worked up to 14 now I'm at 16 on most machines (not the squat - that is killer for me).

One of the staff told me if i could do one more rep on a machine I wasn't working the machine.

Now I feel like I have reallly workout when I leave there, I thought it woud get easier to do but it's harder.

Bevb
Tue, Dec-31-02, 18:44
Hi Kathy
I don't count the reps every time, but do once in awhile just to see where I am at. After 4 months I can do 20 on almost all the machines except the Beast as we call the squat machine. I probably will never do 20 on there, but that's not real important as being able to do what I can. I am able to do 12 to 15 on there.
I wouldn't worry about it, it will come.

When I started Curves I was lucky I could do 10 on each one. I am 64 yrs old so anyone younger should be able to do more.
Try to work as hard as you can on each one, it will be easier.

BevB :thup:

mkathy6
Wed, Jan-01-03, 02:39
Bevb,

Thanks for your input, you put me to shame on the machines. I will work up to it, I've been going about 2 months now.

Measure and weigh day is the 4th. I'm going to get it done on the 2nd though to start the new year.

Soon I'll be up on the machines I try to go as fast as possible so I just have to continue to push it.

BTW - we can the squat Hannibal.

windy
Wed, Jan-01-03, 10:58
I have never counted the reps but will do so now. We call the squatas the Killer and it is.

Happy New Years all.

Windy

mkathy6
Sun, Jan-05-03, 01:47
Hello Curves people where are you??

I had to post my measures and weight loss. they have dropped significantly. I only lost 5.5 lbs this month and I have lost 6 inches. For a total of 26.5 lbs and 12.5 inches in 9.5 weeks.

What are others stats in this, I thought that combined with Atkins that I would be losing quicker.

I am not patient, I've been working the machines hard and have not cheated on my diet. Now I am getting some advice that the jump start their loss, someone went off for a day or 2 and got back on and started to drop weight really well. Any comments?

Thanks. Kathy

Bevb
Sun, Jan-05-03, 06:49
Hi Kathy
You are doing great, remember you are building muscle and that weighs more than fat. Have you lost body fat?
You are losing at a good rate and it's the inches that count. You are probably looking really good.

You have averaged over 3 lbs a week and that is excellant. You don't want to lose to fast or it will be easy to gain it back. Remember this is a WOL.

Just keep up what you are doing. I have been in a stall for over three months as far as weight loss goes, but my body fat has dropped and also inches. I was really out of shape and now I feel much stronger. I know the weight will start dropping again soon.

Bevb :yay:

mkathy6
Mon, Jan-06-03, 03:16
Hi Bevb,

I have dropped Body fat by a couple of points each month. I keep telling myself that I am gaining muscle and it weighs more, and that is keeping me sane.

The inches lost are good, i tried on a skirt I bought last year that never fit and I could zip it up (not comfortably) so maybe a few more inches and I will have a new skirt to wear. I had been trying it on periodically since beginning the diet and at the beginning I couldn't get it over my hips - so huge progress.

thanks again for all your kind responses. :)

Kathy

nuts4tim
Wed, Jan-08-03, 13:05
I recently joined a similar place here in Southern Ontario called "Expressfit for Women". It is essentially the same thing, just Canadian owned.

I was skeptical because they couldn't really provide me with any kind of actual results from others and I was worried that I wouldn't lose inches. I just started low-carbing again on Monday and went to work out today. I go on my lunch hour and it gives me plenty of time to wash up and eat afterwards.

When I signed up they were waiving the enrollment fee and I pay $40.00/month CDN. It also gives me access to the other locations in the area.

DianaMN
Wed, Jan-08-03, 19:52
I joined a club called "Ladies Workout Express" which is similar to Curves and the others mentioned here. However, there is one difference - the resistance on the machines can be adjusted. The owner of the club changes the resistance on different machines weekly so that the workout is never the same. She said if one does the exact same machines at the same intensity or resistance all of the time, the body will plateau. She also changes the time and moves the machines around so they are not always done in the same order.

Just something to consider for those of you who may be thinking about joining this type of club.

Diana

isadorab2
Sat, Jan-11-03, 17:36
Hi all. Been reading the Curves thread, and I will stop in and visit my local Curves this week. I've been working out with a personal trainer -- very expensive -- and I'd like to earn $1.00 per minute to watch me ride a bike and hold the middle of a tension strap!!

It is interesting to learn that so many women are having difficulty dropping actual pounds although they are working out and dieting. I come from a history of obesity in my family, on both mother's and father's sides, and had an uncle that weiged in at 625 pounds at 6'5" tall. He died of a heart attack at age 64, but was relatively active considering his weight. Although he couldn't put on his own socks.

I weight around 325, 5'5" tall, and rather well proportioned. Up until age 47 or so, I was very active, but have slowed down the last couple of years and can't move as easily--so I've decided to take positive steps and address my health issues and get some weight off. I'd be happy at 200 pounds, since I know being thin is not part of my genetic makeup. I eat like most normal people, actually less according to my friends, and when I discuss it with my doctor he tells me that I have a "famine metabolism" and would have survived the concentration camps without a problem! Isn't that wonderful to know -- but he's right.

So, I will continue to plug away, keep working at it. I must admit that I HATE exercising, I HATE walking, and I'd like to be Cleopatra on a chaise lounge, carried by 20 guys with a couple of more guys just fanning me. What a fantasy! A hedonist at heart. So at the age of 52 I must stop being lazy and put motion into my life.

Good luck to everyone out there trying to beat this hardship in our lives -- I despise anyone who can just eat as much as they want and never gain any weight -- and most of my friends are thin. Oh well. Have a successful time working out and losing weight -- and getting and staying healthy.

IsadoraB2
:roll:

Kathy54
Wed, Jan-15-03, 17:38
Wow, it's sure a lot more money here, to join Curves ! Anywhere from 100.00 to 165.00 plus the monthly fee of about 30.00, I checked into it as one is right above my work place, for me it was'nt challenging enough, my employment is very physical so I'm very srtong, so it was'nt worth the money to do the lower body justice.
Cheers Kathy

Bevb
Wed, Jan-15-03, 18:27
Hi Kathy,
Did you ask if they had any specials going? Right now the one I go to is running a 60% off and if you bring a friend and you both join it's much cheaper too. It cost me 39.00 to join as they let me sign up with another new person and if I have it withdrawn from my checking account, it is $29.00 a month. I did sign a one year contract which brought the price down too.

I feel it is worth every penny. It's fast, fun and a great workout for this 64 yr old. I'm in my 4th month and I can do better than some of the younger women that are joining right now.

I love it.
BevB :wave: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

DianaMN
Wed, Jan-15-03, 19:28
Kathy -

Wow that is expensive. That's why I joined Ladies Workout Express - they have basically the same machines but the resistance can be adjusted for a more challenging workout. In fact the owner of the club I belong to said at the recent Ladies Expo in Minneapolis, a Curves manager tried one of the Ladies Workout Express machines and could hardly do it. Also, there is no registration fee - just the $29.99 per month for a year. She also lets people try it for a month for free before they join.

Diana

micsing
Wed, Jan-15-03, 19:43
Is their a website for curves...would love to find a center for women only near me....of course I live in the "sticks" but could drive some distance......would appreciate a web address....

Micsing

molmerlin
Wed, Jan-15-03, 20:00
guess I had better put my 2 cents in as well. I joined Curves last week. Mine also had lousy hours, which I noticed but chose to sign up anyway. I have been there three times so fat. I like it ok, hope I grow to love it. Seems like a great idea, for all the reasons mentioned previously. My sister in law has lost 100 pounds this past year doing this and cutting back on eating (she is not LC), so I guess she inspired me Let's see how I feel in a month......

Bevb
Wed, Jan-15-03, 20:23
micsing
Here is the Web site for Curves:

http://www.curvesinternational.com/

When you join, you can use any of them anywhere.
Bevb :wave:

zima
Thu, Jan-16-03, 13:59
Hello,
My daughter and I have been going to Curves for women since
August of 2002 and we love it. They had a mother and daughter sign up special so we only pay $39.00 a month for both of us.
I had been tring to get Chelsee (my daughter) to exercise at home on the treadmill and with weights but she wasn't interested or got board really fast. This way we can get up in morning, go to curves(work out is about 45 min for three times around the machines) and we can shower there for work and school. Like I said "we love it". Chelsee lost 10 lbs and 8.5 inches in the first month. We haven't measured again up I know she is going to be pleasantly surprised. It has been a God sent! Her confidence has improve three fold. We did have a sign up fee that was 1/2 off and we paid $74.00 but that was a one time fee not yearly. The women there are very supportive also.
Can't say enough about how great it is, :hyper: :wiggle: :agree:
Zima

Kathy54
Fri, Jan-17-03, 01:01
Well I know when I was thinking of joining, the special was, 95.00 a year ago they had a 2 for one deal, think it was still in the 75.00 range, the fee seems to change all the time, everyone I speak to that joined, paid a different price, not right , I don't think. But most are happy, but one put on weight, even after 3 months nothing less on the scales. Not to sure what her at home life style is?

Glad it's working well for you all.

Cheers Kathy

Tiggerdy
Fri, Jan-17-03, 07:56
I joined Curves in April '02 but did not start LCing until Sept. '02. I gained weight at first, although my BF% went down a little. I didn't start seeing greater results until after I began LCing. My best-friend also goes to Curves, but she continues to eat all kinds of carbs, etc. She's gained some muscle and built up her endurance, but she yo-yo's losing the same 10-15 lbs. I honestly believe that it takes a total lifestyle change to get the best results possible. Heck, I didn't think I lost that much during Dec. with the holidays and all, but I ended up dropping 5.75" and 9.5 lbs. Go figure! :rolleyes:

When I signed up, my Curves had some special going for the joiners fee and it was really low- I think my first month combined w/the fee was like $75. Their monthly dues and joiners fee are not much at all when compared to my local YMCA and other local health/fitness centers. Plus, they are very helpful and there's always room. I toured the other gyms and they were always swamped and crowded. I think the most important thing to think about when selecting a workout franchise or routine is to find what makes YOU happy. After all, you'll be doing this for a long time (if not the rest of your life), so you should enjoy it. In fact, wo other friends of mine are leaving Curves when their contracts expire-- it's just not for them. I'm sad, but I wish them luck in whatever they decide.

Best of luck to all in reaching your goals!

Linfriend
Sat, Jan-18-03, 00:07
I've been with curves since November. It's a good start for me. A year ago, I could barely stand to walk. My feet hurt all the time. I'm not sure why, but I had a very stressful relationship and was way over my weight of a couple years earlier. I'm feeling much better, my feet don't hurt anymore. I thank god every time I walk anywhere. Curves is relatively easy exercise for just about anybody, but every month I still progress. I've somehow been able to not gain any weight when the monthly weigh-in occurs, although I have over eaten dramatically. This month I lost 1&1/2 inches in my waist ( I was doing a lot of twister exercises instead of joging in place on the boards ). I gained some inches elsewhere. I feel it's pretty good since I missed about two weeks or more of exercising this last month, due to transportation problems. I hope to be able to go on to bigger and better things, such as KARATE again and SKIING, and maybe even some HIKING, if the right man enters my life. Curves is worth it to me. :wave: Vicki

vbrowne
Mon, Jan-20-03, 14:28
Hi, I went today for my weigh in / measure in at Curves. Since November (didn't bother weighing in in December because our office is closed for two weeks and didn't workout either). I have lost 2.8% body fat and a total of 4" overall gone - weight is pretty stable, down 4 lbs, but I don't really count that as too much of a measure because my "back of the closet" clothes are fitting now. I lost 1.8% from October 24th - November 24th and no inches, so it looks like my hard work is actually paying off :D

Vikki

penk
Mon, Jan-27-03, 19:05
Hi everyone - just had to add my two cents. I was intimidated at the idea of joining a "real" gym but someone told me about Curves - I went there and signed up the very first day... I love it!

I find it a fun place to be, very upbeat... and you're in and out. I'm not big on chatter, but it doesn't matter if you're there with a friend or on your own... everyone is there for the same thing. There are women of all ages and sizes (and I mean ALL - it's great) - it's a very accepting, friendly atmosphere.

Curves started me on the road to good health, I've added the low carb these past couple of weeks, and I'm really excited and motivated!

I signed up for a year, but the fee is withdrawn by the month, and I can cancel any time - the penalty is to pay $10 for each month that I attended (since the monthly fee is $10 higher than if you join for the year) - and I think that's a very accommodating deal.

Penny

Linfriend
Tue, Feb-04-03, 07:31
I'm hoping to go back to Curves tonight. It's been over a week. Someday my transportation problems will be over. I'm going to try to borrow a car so I can go tonight. What else can say?Vicki

rubyg64
Tue, Feb-04-03, 13:15
Thanks to all of you and your wonderful success, I decided to join curves yesterday. I was so impressed! It was upbeat, fun and VERY easy to do. I even joined the 30 day fitness challenge.

I figured that even as out of shape as I was that I could handle the 30 seconds a machine. After the first set of the machines I was sweating like a pig, but feeling great. I never stuck to an exercise program because I am so out of shape I could never do them. Curves is going to help me get in shape so that I will be able to do exercises at home as well.

The fee was $59 which was 60% off and $29 a month. Pretty reasonable I thought. They also had a coupon for a free week if I wanted to just try it out. I was hooked after my first time so I signed up right then. I can't wait until tomorrow so I can go back. Thanks so much for all your success stories that put me on the right path for starting and keeping an exercise program! :)

Lisa :wave:

lizbethgur
Thu, Mar-20-03, 22:45
I know that Curves offers many different deals when it comes to their membership fees. These prices come from their corporate headquarters. Most Curves are running their food drive this week and they are waiving their service fee for a bag of groceries. Also I know that many are running % off the rest of the month. To be quite frankly honest the regular membership fee is $149.00 any discount is better thatn none and it is only one time. If you remain a current member then you never pay that fee again only 29.00 a month. Watch for Curves specials you can get a deal. As for the routine it is all what you make of it. If you walk in the door with a negative attitude then you will get no results. Millions of Women all over the world that are losing weight and inches not to mention body fat can't be wrong. I joined in December of 2002 and have seen results there is a woman in my club that has gone down two dress sizes in 7 weeks working out 3 times a week and using the Curves diet. That speaks for itself. It is truly all that you make of it.

rubyg64
Fri, Mar-21-03, 12:16
Just an update. I should have posted this weeks ago, but forgot. In 1 month at Curves I lost 17 1/2 inches and 7 lbs. I also lost 2.6% body fat. This is coming from a person that never exercised. It is really easy and everyone is very friendly. I encourage everyone to try it.

Happy LCing.

Lisa

Miss Melis
Fri, Mar-21-03, 15:09
Wow!... glad to hear about everyone's success with Curves....

Thank you for posting!!! :thup:

ANd I love the updates of inches lost!!! :hyper:

Take CAre, :wave:

M-

luvhump
Sun, Mar-23-03, 06:12
I joined curves in Jan. 02 and for 5 months(without dieting at all) I lost 5 inches and 5lbs of body fat. Unfortunately, my mental attitidue got the best of me or I got bored, not sure which or both but I quit altogether. I was going 6 days a week diligently and I really believe I burned myself out. Anyways, I starting LCing in Feb 03 with no exercise at all. I finally went back to curves 2 weeks ago, she waived the registration fee for me. I've decided to go only 3 times a week so I don't run into this burnout again. I will be interested in seeing what the results will be doing this along with lcing. From experience, I may not see much results until the 2 month time. I can tell you once you stop and restart, the muscles have definately lost what you put into them before. I will post my 1 month in a couple of weeks. There are several people that have had unbelievable success in curves.

blue_eyes_
Mon, Nov-03-03, 20:31
Hi Pat,

I'm thinking of joining a Curves in Wpg too. How has your experience been up to now with them? Still good I hope. You are doing well and so glad you found out about low carbing to help make a difference in your life.

unsweetend
Tue, Nov-04-03, 19:03
I went to Curves on and off for a year - missed on most of the summer, and now that my year is up I was able to cancel my membership and did. I think it's a great way to get started if you haven't exercised in a long time, it shaped me help and helped me lose a lot of inches. But basically I got bored with it and hit the point where I just couldn't do that same circuit day in and day out anymore, that combined with the horrible disco mixes they play. It was time to call it a day.

Mary P
Fri, Nov-07-03, 16:59
I've been a Curves member since the end of June and have lost 30 lbs with about 60 more to go. I cut out all "whites" when I joined and started walking every day as well. I now walk 2 miles in 38 minutes. I like the fact that the machines are made for Women and it is quick and simple, not boring at all. Our Curves offers either a low fat or count calories 6 week courses. Our diet course incorporated Dr. Phil's physcology. Each gym is different and it would pay to shop around for one that suits you if there are more than one in your area. I'm sure we have the best owner and staff at our! She has brought in a Motivation Speaker who gives a different lecture once a week for three weeks. Cost is minimal and attendance is optional of course. Our hours are 6 am to 7 pm Mon to Fri and 7 to 1 on Saturday. I doubt if you will find any Curves open on Sunday based on the CEO's religious beliefs.

Mary P
Fri, Nov-07-03, 17:44
Another question about Curves. Does anyone count the reps they do on each machine?

I was trying to get at least 12 in then worked up to 14 now I'm at 16 on most machines (not the squat - that is killer for me).

One of the staff told me if i could do one more rep on a machine I wasn't working the machine.

Now I feel like I have reallly workout when I leave there, I thought it woud get easier to do but it's harder.

I was told the same thing. If you're not burning at the end of 30 sec you're not working hard enough. We're also told that we should do no more that 5 squats. You should not be able to hear the cylinder go "swish". IF it does you're going too fast. the same with the kick back machine. Kick fast and come back slowly--no more than 5 per leg. Fortunately our owner and trainer recognize that we don't all remember how to do the machines properly so they have advised us to book a 1/2 with the trainer and go over everything again as well as she will be marking down our reps so we can check for improvement later on.
Mary P in Beautiful BC

blue_eyes_
Sat, Nov-08-03, 15:11
It went fairly well. I haven't been very active lately so a couple of the machines were a little tough. I'm feeling a little achy today. I had been reading alot about exercising and resistance training is the top one always mentioned for extra benefits and being similar to a water workout.

I was thinking of aqua-size classes but just couldn't see me in a bathing suit (at this time). So I'm so happy I came across CURVES and took the time to look into them.

Thanks for the response to my earlier query!

Just curious, does anyone know what the CEO's religious affiliation is?

black57
Tue, Nov-11-03, 12:23
The hours are not ideal, however, the club is always full where I go. The short half hour that is needed to achieve completion on the equipment is a help when it comes to finding the time to do the program. My problem in the past was that there were no clubs opened in the mornings. I wish I had access to this a few years ago when I had little ones in school.

Black57

sknymonkey
Thu, Nov-13-03, 23:59
Hey ladies, I just read read this whole thread, and I though I would clear a few thing up for those who want to know. I work as a fitness tech at Curves, so without giving away any secrets, I'll tell you how it works.
First of all, price and tax varies from region to region. Some states pay tax, others don't. The monthly fee is not decided bt the owner of the franchise, but by Curves International. It will also vary depending on if you sign a 1 yr contract,prepay, or go month to month.The promotions and discounts that are being offered is also decided by the corporate office. BTW-there is almost ALWAYS a discount, be sure to ask.
About the travel cards-only members that sign a 1 yr contract or prepay are allowed travel cards. They are good at any location without charge. All you have to do is fill out a health history form at each Curves you visit. You only have to do it once, even if your last visit to that location was a while ago. The only locations that charge vistors are Martha's Vinyard and Hawaii. This is because their actual membership is low. It is only $5, and some will only charge you one time while you are staying in town.
Because the are franchised, many other things will vary, and unfortunately, some people only open them for profit, not because they actually are interestd in women's health. I'm lucky that the owner of my club is very dedicated.
The hours will vary, so be sure to check around to see if there is one that suit you best. Some are open Saturdays, but no Curves will ever be open on a Sunday. It is not allowed by the company, no matter what.
Another thing to remember- if you are unhappy with something, speak up! Don't wait until you get really upset, try approaching the owner with your questions and unless they are jackholes they will at least consider you remarks.
About the workout- it's true that you want to fatigue the muscle in the 30secs that you are given on each machine. The idea is to work it so you PRAY for that sweet little voice to say those 3 little words "change stations now." The recovery stations are just that, RECOVERY. You don't want to use them to elevate you heart rate, you just don't want it to drop. One of the flaws with traditional gyms is the down time between reps and machines. Your heart rate drops so part of you next rep is wasted trying to get your HR back up.
Most owners will change the order of the machines periodically, or add new ones as membership increases. If you have problems, you can always direct the owners to this site. It's a great resource for them too.
I've written the site down for many of my clients who are either interested in LC diets or have other health concerns that the site addresses. I try to promote it to anyone I can, for all the help it's given me.
I just wanted clear up any confusion, I didn't realize it would end up this long.

westernwil
Tue, Nov-18-03, 09:50
The latest issue of Prevention magazine has a small article that looks briefly at Curves and what it offers.

Sounds like the perfect place for someone who is getting back into fitness and prefers a very supportive, small gym experience without the hard core-hard body membership that can be intimidating.

They did mention that the machines only offer resistance one way, so this is not a completely balanced approach to strength training...you would likely want to find your feet at Curves, then move on to more challenging venues and routines as you gain fitness and confidence.

But it sounds like a great concept. I have many lady friends who, having reached their 40's and gotten tubby or out of shape, simply cannot face a gym full of ripped 25 year olds. They feel self conscious and out of place, and many are unwilling to really get out there and get all sweaty and out of breath in public. Curves sounds perfect for them.

janetkind
Thu, Apr-22-04, 11:24
Iam thinking of joining curves. and doing monthy. until i see if i like it.
Do they help u with dieting to lose wt. or are they more into toning. is they people that help u.with machines and what to do? also i have a heart mentior that tells heart rate. is that good to use there? any tips and what to look for.

mommer42us
Sun, Apr-25-04, 16:19
I checked out the Curves place too and found it didn't jive with my schedule either so I bought the book instead. I have a treadmill and weight machines so I just did my own stuff. Down 18 lbs so far.

batty
Mon, Apr-26-04, 17:17
I've just started my 3rd month at Curves. I LOVE it! I've never been successful at gyms, but Curves has such a laid back atmoshphere I feel really comfortable. I also like the fact that I can go and just "jump in" anytime. No waiting for a machine to open up. I've lost 14.5 inches so far!

To those of you disatisfied with the hours, make your needs known! The hours here were extended after seval members requested earlier/later hours.

Batty

huggs2ewe
Thu, Apr-29-04, 16:59
I've lost 14.5 inches so far!

way to go batty. I just joined, in my second week and really enjoying it. I've lost 5 #'s so far. Haven't measured yet of course. Love the comradre and up beat people. The trainers are great too.

SIXX
Sun, Mar-20-05, 23:50
I am a member of Contours Express which is similar to Curves, but its with Weights that you can adjust as you get stronger. I like it alot and I have seen great things already.

janetkind
Mon, Mar-21-05, 10:55
Hi.
Just wantedto say That is great you found aexerice gym that works for u.
We all must like what we do. for if not it wont work.
This has to be for life as we all know.
One month at a time. we have the rest of year to see what we can do for self. Good luck to u.And keep us posted to your goals.