PDA

View Full Version : colonoscopy prep

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

RobLL
Wed, Jan-24-07, 13:08
After twenty years it was time to do this again, OK it was ten years late, but I only skipped one :D

On prep day, clear liquids only, I knew that I really did not want to drink sugary stuff like I did the last time, it really would do a number on my BG. Clinic was really of no help, although the male nurse laughed when I asked about wine - he told me "White only" - everybody knows I like RED wine.

So I checked my BG fairly frequently. By evening it was down to 49, so remembered my bernstein and drank half a small bottle of Gatorade, about 10 carbs. Two hours later I took it again - 39, did not quite believe it, but finished the gatorade, and took another measurement on other hand and got a 92.

Next day all measurements were OK. Clinic says they like BG to be over a 100 before they start. Forgot to ask them why, anyone know?

I realize that if I were taking insulin that I could have had all the (not red) sugary drinks I wanted.

ReginaW
Wed, Jan-24-07, 13:24
Clinic says they like BG to be over a 100 before they start. Forgot to ask them why, anyone know?

Mythical poppycock?

Doesn't make any clinical sense to want BG above 100 to look at your colon!

AuntJoyce
Thu, Jan-25-07, 00:10
I can't believe you went so low from fasting. That's scary.

dina1957
Thu, Jan-25-07, 00:34
After twenty years it was time to do this again, OK it was ten years late, but I only skipped one :D

On prep day, clear liquids only, I knew that I really did not want to drink sugary stuff like I did the last time, it really would do a number on my BG. Clinic was really of no help, although the male nurse laughed when I asked about wine - he told me "White only" - everybody knows I like RED wine.

So I checked my BG fairly frequently. By evening it was down to 49, so remembered my bernstein and drank half a small bottle of Gatorade, about 10 carbs. Two hours later I took it again - 39, did not quite believe it, but finished the gatorade, and took another measurement on other hand and got a 92.

Next day all measurements were OK. Clinic says they like BG to be over a 100 before they start. Forgot to ask them why, anyone know?

I realize that if I were taking insulin that I could have had all the (not red) sugary drinks I wanted.
I got colonoscopy 2 years ago and did not drink sugary stuff, just clear broth and water, but my Bgs were 100-110 as I recall. I did became badly dehydrated, this phospho soda is indeed really nasty, regarldess of all the water I drank.
I can't imagine your BG was really 39, you would pass out, I think. Check your meter for accuracy.
If I have to do it next time, I will drink some clear apple juice too, it was silly of me not to drink anything but water and broth, could be that what made me feel so lousy.

dina1957
Thu, Jan-25-07, 00:35
Mythical poppycock?

Doesn't make any clinical sense to want BG above 100 to look at your colon!
But makes sense to prevent hypo episode while being sedated perhaps?

RobLL
Thu, Jan-25-07, 11:46
I should elaborate on test results:

9PM 49, half a small gatorade
10:15PM 80
11:15PM 39 quickly finished gatorade
minute later checked other hand, and 92. Unknown, did used gatorade contaminate my finger, and the sample, or was the 39 an erroneous reading?
Tired, went to bed

Woke up in the morning with fairly typical 100

Did ask at the clinic, and one could add a tablespoon of olive oil to each cup of broth which considerably adds to the calories.

edited, largely for clarity