PDA

View Full Version : Hello from another newbie!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

RhiannonJ
Tue, Jan-29-02, 14:52
I've been lurking in this forum now for a bit over a week and thought I'd introduce myself.

I turned 49 last November and decided to quit smoking for my birthday. I was smoking nearly two packs a day, and yes, I WAS successful! :clap: Another wonderful thing happened is that I found I no longer felt like drinking, which is saying a lot for an Irish lass who loves a bit of whiskey now and again, tho I'm not by any means a lush. :D

I put on some extra pounds right after I quit so I decided it was time to do something about it. I've been fortunate that I've never had a weight problem. I'm tall and could always eat what I want, but age catches up with us and our metabolism slows down. Back in '93 I had gained about 40 pounds and took it off by watching my "diet" and working out. I looked and felt great! I kept it off for about six years but began neglecting myself after my now ex-husband deserted me back in '99.

So I began doing some research on low carbing and want to make this my WOE. I've been doing my "Jane Fonda" step aerobics, as well as strength training for about ten days now. I give myself two days off during the week to let my muscles rest. I'm only on day 2 of induction and so far so good. The information in this forum is awesome and was glad to find the advice about the sf jello and whippy cream. :D

Just hope I can make it through the next six days. I only get paid once a month and my cubbard is somewhat low and I'm nearly broke. Thank goodness pay day is the 5th. :)

I did want to ask... does natural (not synthetic) HRT have any effect on weight loss during induction etc? I've read in some places that it can have an effect, and others that it doesn't and that the reason some people associate weight gain while on HRT is because of a slower metabolism.

I'm sure you all will be seeing more of me around here. This is a great place to hang out! Now if I can get focused again and get back to work. ;)

Cheers,
Rhiannon

:dazzle:

EllieEats
Tue, Jan-29-02, 16:23
Welcome Rhiannon!!

Sorry I can't answer your question but I'm sure someone will come along that can!!
Just wanted to welcome you to the forum!! :wave:

Congrats on quitting smoking AND on deciding to make LC your WOL!! :thup:

Consider starting a journal here (Journal section, under "R")
It's very helpful to keep in touch with each other, post your daily menus, just general day-to-day stuff and if you're having a problem--- one of our local experts might be able to make suggestions!

Browse through the other journals too--- get all kinds of tips, menu ideas, etc.

Hope to see more of you around the forum!!
Ellie :wave: