PDA

View Full Version : Joined today from UK - anyone nearby?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

RezEva
Fri, Jan-19-07, 15:39
Hi everyone, :)
I'm in my 11th day of Induction today - confused about all that stuff and disapointed as I've lost only 1 pound!
Would like to get in touch with someone who lives locally as everything is easier with a mate!
I live in New Haw, Surrey in UK.

It's not easy to do Atkins in here as UK is apparently just not ready for it.
So far I've found only about 4 kinds breakfast bars and a drink in a shops, range of sugar free foods in Tesco is slim too... Luckily I'm not a diabetic!

So :help: please, need to know where can I find these... and alot more.

Thanks
Eva

Tish437
Fri, Jan-19-07, 15:45
Hi Eva! Welcome! You mentioned breakfast bars; these can slow down and even stop your weight loss. It's best to eat fresh foods - eggs, meats, cheese, things like that, until you get closer to goal. That is probably why you're so disappointed in your loss. Try not to eat much of the "pre-packaged" foods; you'll see better results eating fresh protein and fresh veggies.

joesfolks
Fri, Jan-19-07, 15:50
I agree with Tish. Whole foods is best. Pre-packaged stuff should only be used for emergencies.

RezEva
Fri, Jan-19-07, 16:42
Hi girls,
that's been a missunderstanding - I said I saw it in a shop but haven't go for any of those yet as they still have quite a lot carbs.
I try to keep my food simple, don't really cook much:
- 2 large eggs for breakfast,
- some meat, caned fish or again eggs with a little bit of salad for lunch,
- for dinner: again some meat (chicken or fish,shellfish often) and a bit more salad...
- also during the day some cheese. I don't weigh it but thing I keep it under 40 grams + sometimes 2 spoons of cream.
And that's it - I thing I'm doing well, so where is the problem?

Tish437
Fri, Jan-19-07, 17:05
I don't know what 40 grams is, but it may be too much cheese. Try cutting back.

Some people just get off to a slow start, then catch up with themselves. Sometimes when the scale won't budge you can still "feel" yourself shrinking. Give it some more time.

Also, if I'm reading your stats correctly, you don't have a great deal to lose, and those who have less to lose, lose more slowly. If you were like 100 lbs. overweight, it would be whomping off you. So be patient, you'll just have a slower time of it.

RezEva
Fri, Jan-19-07, 17:12
Thanks Tish,
I'll keep doing my best...

Elizellen
Fri, Jan-19-07, 17:14
I know it doesnt seem much but so far you have lost 4% of the total you want to lose in 10 days.
a 'normal' amount to lose in the first 14 days is said to be between 5% and 10% so you are not that far out!!
We dont lose weight in a linear way - so much per day - but in fits and starts sometimes. You may go a week or so with no loss then lose a couple of pounds overnight!
So hang in there.

did you measure yourself too? sometimes we shrink without losing actual poundage!

RezEva
Fri, Jan-19-07, 17:24
You probably right, Elizellen. That calmed me down a bit so I can go to bed now, thanks.
Good night everyone!

Elizellen
Fri, Jan-19-07, 17:26
I am sorry you felt 'jumped on' about the bars and shakes. I am glad you are eting 'real food' on the whole.

To be honest I havent bought any of the special 'lowcarb' stuff and feel I have been better served by not using them.

If you do find any and are thinking of getting them just look at the actual ingredients rather than the 'net carbs' and 'suitable for Atkins' info.
Many of those bars might purport to be Atkins induction-legal but are obviously not once you look at what is in them - wheat, soy, fruit, nuts and unpronounceable chemical additives!!
I would suggest leaving them till you are in the OWL level/rung that contains all its ingredients, and then see what they do to you.

Whiteser
Mon, Jan-22-07, 05:36
I too am new to this and in the UK To day is my 2 weeks up and I seem stuck, registered the loss of 4 lbs the first week but seem stuck there, Have followed it all, my only 'sin' is my cup of tea with the drop of milk that entails, tried weak cream ! Ugh
I too am a bit dissappointed.

sabina92
Mon, Jan-22-07, 15:25
Hi everyone, :)
I'm in my 11th day of Induction today - confused about all that stuff and disapointed as I've lost only 1 pound!
Would like to get in touch with someone who lives locally as everything is easier with a mate!
I live in New Haw, Surrey in UK.

It's not easy to do Atkins in here as UK is apparently just not ready for it.
So far I've found only about 4 kinds breakfast bars and a drink in a shops, range of sugar free foods in Tesco is slim too... Luckily I'm not a diabetic!

So :help: please, need to know where can I find these... and alot more.

Thanks
Eva

hiya rezeva n everyone. u.k too but from manchester- been on the atkins ten days n really upset ive only lost two pounds. been reading the book n everybody seems to be losing sooo much. but im sure as the weeks go on we going to do so much better. Dont u think its such a taboo when u mention ur on the atkins in the u.k? all iv been told is bad news but im determined to make it work- fingers crossed we gna be reading much better on those scales next few days.

sabina92
Mon, Jan-22-07, 15:27
I too am new to this and in the UK To day is my 2 weeks up and I seem stuck, registered the loss of 4 lbs the first week but seem stuck there, Have followed it all, my only 'sin' is my cup of tea with the drop of milk that entails, tried weak cream ! Ugh

hey, im new too. The single full fat cream is really good but not sure about it in tea. im trying green tea but really not sure if ur allowed it? if anybody could help and also can u not have nuts in your induction? :help:

Whiteser
Tue, Jan-23-07, 05:04
Thanks to Neo- Crone with the info about Milk for tea, will try Sainsburys to day.
I have also tried the pee-sticks and they barely change, even that might be trying to see a difference when there is'nt any.

Having plastic valves & a pacemaker means I am on the old' rat poison' Warfarin and some other stuff, it doe'nt mention that type of drug or medication in the books I have got,does anyone have any info if it hinders ?

RezEva
Tue, Jan-23-07, 12:04

Hi, and welcome...Don't worry about the slower start - I was the same but at the end of the Induction I lost 6lbs- and I'm quite happy about it as it means my Metabolic Resistance is LOW. You've lost maybe 'only' 4 lbs but at the other hand your Summary is 18 % of your total weight to lose !! What is great! ;)
Watch your carbs - even different labes creams have got different carb content, so always try to go for the lowest you can get. And don't forget you are alowed to have only 2 tbsp of cream a day!
Some people could have problem with caffeine - so I just bought decaff tee and coffee...
Just keep doing your best... goodluck!

RezEva
Tue, Jan-23-07, 12:25
hey, im new too. The single full fat cream is really good but not sure about it in tea. im trying green tea but really not sure if ur allowed it? if anybody could help and also can u not have nuts in your induction? :help:

Hi,
I've already asked about tee and coffee and was told I was basically OK - but caffeine couldcause problem with weight loss to someone... so to be sure I wasn't spoiling my diet I bought decaff. tee and coffee - it's the same taste and 'safe' :)
Be aware of nuts - they are NOT ALOWED on INDUCTION! Maybe later but still just a few a day.
Have you read any of Dr.Atkins books? Please DO, it will help you a lot.

Good luck!

sabina92
Thu, Jan-25-07, 06:00
hiya, hope loss is much better. im only getting on those scales TOMORROW! yeah ive been reading the book but i didnt see that we could only have 2tbsp of cream anywhere? thats shocking as iv been on about 4 decaf coffees well maybe 5 a day. eeeeeeeeeek i know but its just too much of a long day. Also the scales at the gym gave me a weight which was half a stone lighter! :lol: using the machine 20p slots now- much safer! :cool: good luck and thanks for the reply!