PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in search of motivation...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Maryeve
Sun, Jan-07-07, 10:24
Hi all, I'm here....

I finally am thoroughly disgusted and ready to find the motivation to make this work.

I have had really good success with a low carb diet almost 3 years ago. After my 3rd child was born and the baby weight quit coming off easily, I decided to try Atkins...I ended up losing 36 exta pounds and went from a tight size 16 to a snug 8.. I WAS SOOOOO CLOSE to that eight feeling perfect then I fell.

I have tried off and on to find the motivation since then and have put some, but thank goodness not all of my weight back on. I have gone back up 2 sizes and want to get comfortably back into all those 8's I bought...SURE that I would get in and never actually got to wear.

Fast approching my 40th birthday, seeing the new crows feet and gray hairs popping up everywhere..looking at the flab as I fly past the mirror to hop in the shower, I really need to get a grip on myself. I will be honest and say I'm lazy, and I'm a food addict. I absolutely LOVE TO EAT. LOVE CARBS....In the past I have found the low carbs work better for me b/c I am not limited in the amount of food I can eat..I find it easier to avoid carbs that to avoid calories.

Is there someone out there that is in the same state I am in that wants to be my partner and get started together?

Since it has been a few years since i have done this, I'm not sure which low carb diet is the best to follow.

pesky15
Sun, Jan-07-07, 10:28
I too want to be a solid size 8. I am restarting Atkins, but I make a few adjustments and wonder if I'm doing South Beach without really knowing it...

I could live on bread and butter (and did for years) but when I'm on track and eating LC I really stop craving bread. But as soon as I fall off (i.e. this christmas) I'm in big trouble!

Good luck getting started. I think having a journal is really helpful and it's easy to set up.

Maryeve
Sun, Jan-07-07, 10:47
Hi Pesky, Sounds like we take a similar approach. I never really followed atkins strictly by what they said..I DO try to keep to the 20 grams of carbs (at least I think that is what it was, I haven't reread all of this yet) the first couple of weeks, but then after I would allow myself a random piece of fruit and whole grains.

I do think the main key is NO WHITE.

If you'd like to pair up with me and check in feel free to email me.I'd love to compare notes and get in those 8's with you! :)

bkloots
Sun, Jan-07-07, 12:14
A milestone birthday is a great time to rededicate yourself to health and fitness. Try to embrace the fact that low-carb eating is simply the nutritional part of a total "new you" picture. The anti-aging benefits of low-carb and exercise are remarkable, and you'll enjoy the results.

Low-carb does not exclude loving to eat! Check out the recipes on this site, and elsewhere, and simply learn to eat different stuff. Voila!

Try this:

MASHED FAUXTATOES

Head of cauliflower
4 oz cream cheese
Seasoning to taste
Butter
Grated cheddar
Real bacon bits

Cook the cauli until it's very soft, but don't let it get watery. Drain thoroughly, and mash it with a potato masher, or if you like a smoother texture, use a food processor. Mash in the cream cheese, and a little butter. Put the mix in an oiled casserole, top it with more butter, grated cheese and bacon bits, and stick it in the oven until the cheese melts. Easy peasy! Carb-lovers delight.

I've been an Atkineer for four years. I love the style and information in his books, and the program is great for going through successive phases until you finally figure out that it's a lifestyle, not a diet.

Best wishes!