PDA

View Full Version : 1 week down - going strong

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

wbahn
Mon, Jan-28-02, 10:44
I've just completed the first week of Induction and have lost 14 pounds!

I am very enthusiastic at this point (for more than the obvious reason).

... I feel satiated on only a small amount of food.

... I have at least a bit more energy than before - though not a huge difference yet.

... I have no cravings for sweets and carbs or anything else.

... I sometimes think of those things - and think I am hungry for those things - but I think it is really just habit and I can very easily tell myself no and walk away.

allisonm
Mon, Jan-28-02, 11:03
Congratulations on your 14 pound loss! :thup:
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
For me, my not craving carbs has grown progressively as I have stayed on the plan and gotten away from artificial sweeteners. Now even my little drink of unsweetened whey powder with unsweetened cocoa powder tastes normal to me. And plain celery has begun to taste sweet. (weird, huh?) :spin:

One little thing concerns me in you post:

"I feel satiated on only a small amount of food."

Why would you be eating only a small amount of food? This is not a low-calorie way of eating! Low calorie diets cause initial weight loss and then put your body in starvation mode. Your metabolism gets screwed up and you stop losing weight. That's really not the way these plans are inteded to work. EAT! Eat fat, eat meat. Eat.

I know it's a hard concept to adjust to but I just came from the doctors office where I weighed in at 226, partially clothed and after breakfast and a glass of water. Seven months ago I weighed 313. Don't try to outsmart the system by depriving yourself food. It won't work in the long run but following the plan will.

I hope I have simply misunderstood what you are saying, and you are consuming copious amounts of pork and butter!

Allison

wbahn
Mon, Jan-28-02, 11:53
By, "on small amounts of food" I was speaking relatively. Before I would go to Wendys and get a double cheeseburger and a chicken club sandwich and a large chili w/cheese and drink two or three cans of diet Pepsi with it. I might get uncomfortably full, but I would still feel a bit hungry. Now, I have a six ounce steak, two cups of salad with vinegrette and four ounces of celery and I'm not full, but I'm satisfied.

I'm averaging over 1500 calories a day ranging from 1200 to 1900. My lean body mass is about 170 pounds.

Because of my travels yesterday I was in danger of being below 1000 calories, so I had 28 slices of pepperoni about an hour before bedtime to get my total up to near 1300. I have set 1200 as a minimum floor and am shooting for between 1500 and 1900.

kitten39
Mon, Jan-28-02, 12:47
Congrats on the wonderful loss!! I am on my 1st day and reading your post will get me through the day.
Keep up the good work.

wbahn
Mon, Jan-28-02, 13:35
Thanks kitten39,

I notice that this is your first post in any forum. I recommend posting a greeting in a new thread in this forum and starting a journal in the K-L section of the My Journal / Bootcamp forum.

If you have been browsing the other posts, you will have noticed two things:

** Drink LOTS and LOTS of water.

** Day 2 sucks.

Accept that tomorrow (and perhaps a few days after that) are going to be not fun. You may have a hell of headache for most of the day. You may feel totally exhausted.

This is predicted. This is normal. And this is temporary.

I think the consensus is that the key to getting through this transition quickly is water consumption. The more water you drink the quicker you will flush stuff out of your system and the lower the concentrations of the remaining stuff will be in your body. I hammered the water hard and had an absolutely miserable Day 2 but Day 3 wasn't too bad and I have been fine ever since.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

KASSY
Mon, Jan-28-02, 14:12
I just started the Induction Phase (again) today- and am not looking forward to day 2 & 3 headaches.
Congratulations on your loss so far. You sound like you are really doing it right !

Keep it up

Kassy

wbahn
Mon, Jan-28-02, 14:27
Thanks Kassy,

I think one of the things that will keep me on the straight and narrow is not wanting to go through the Induction Headaches a second time - let's see if this pony can learn this trick the first time in the ring.

As for me doing this right - I hope so. I may be doing things a bit too fast, though. My calorie intake is probably a bit below where it should be - but well above what it has been on previous diet attempts. Atkins himself refers to (short term) studies with 1000 calorie low carb diets with good results.

I think I'm going to stay pretty much where I am calorie wise - perhaps try to get up to an average of 1700 if it looks like it is becoming an issue and especially once I free up the time to start doing my former 6-mile a night walks that I was doing a few years ago (at a weight of 340#).

bsayne
Mon, Jan-28-02, 18:02
Congratulations on the wt loss so far! More importantly you are in the right place and I can tell by your helpfull posts that you will love it here! It's so funny the things you are saying sound exactly like myself at the beginning of Atkins!

The detox process is what keeps me inline also...the caffeine and sugar withdrawal was the worst headache I had ever had...migraine to the nth degree! Nothing is worth going there again, so even when I bought the garbage about this WOL not being good for me...I never went back to caffeine!

This is it for me...there are to many ways to LC the right way and they make me feel lots better than anything else I've ever tried!

I'll check on your journal as with all the recommendations you've been handing out I'm just sure you have started one!

Bsayne