PDA

View Full Version : byetta

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ilovepink
Wed, Jan-03-07, 20:27
i just got an ok to start taking byetta. i go see my dr friday and then she will prescribe it for me. i was wondering if anyone here also takes it? do you have the nausea with it and have you lost weight better while being on it?

ilovepink
Thu, Jan-04-07, 04:12
nobody taking byetta?

ilovepink
Sat, Jan-06-07, 17:37
well i found out that i have to wait til next week to get my byetta. i also found out that my thyroid meds and all thyroid meds cause metformin to not work as good. no wonder it doesnt do much.

ilovepink
Sat, Jan-06-07, 22:35
no one taking byetta?

lcgrrl2006
Sat, Jan-06-07, 22:56
sorry, don't know what byetta is.

ilovepink
Sat, Jan-06-07, 23:20
byetta is a shot that you give yourself twice daily to bring your blood sugars down.it is usually prescribed with other diabetes meds. it also helps with weight loss as it controls your appetite. it is a synthetic form of gila monster spit.

dina1957
Sun, Jan-07-07, 00:09
byetta is a shot that you give yourself twice daily to bring your blood sugars down.it is usually prescribed with other diabetes meds. it also helps with weight loss as it controls your appetite. it is a synthetic form of gila monster spit.
Ilovepink,
you may want to check Diabetes news groups on this site, there many byetta users. Personally, I would like to try but my H1C does not warrant any meds. Byetta stimulates pancrease to release insulin too b ut mostly slows digestion, so glucose enters portal vein (liver) slow and overall, you eat much less. It may cause nausea, so you have to cut your protions, but it will curb hunger too. Many ppl love it, but the cost is $200 (without insurance) and they can't keep up with demand yet.
Good luck with byetta and keep us posted.

ilovepink
Sun, Jan-07-07, 06:51
i would check out the diabetes news groups but i believe that is the one you cant post on? i dont like to read something i cant post to. ive been reading diabetesmonitor. ive already checked with my insurance and they will cover it. they dont cover the syringes tho, but they dont seem to be that expensive. ive also checked with my pharmacy and they do stock it.

danbrown
Sun, Jan-07-07, 08:14
they dont cover the syringes tho, but they dont seem to be that expensive.

Love
Byetta comes in a pen, with a measured 30 day supply I think, so you don't need to buy syringes. Recently, mfgr's reps. have been giving free samples to Endos so they can show their patients how to get started with the belly pricks, again I think. I'm not a user, but I own stock in the company that makes the stuff (Amylin), so I know a little about it. By the way, the shortage (of pens) issue was solved last September. Also, only 15 to 40 percent of people experience any nausea, and that usually goes away after your system adjusts. Only 5% give it up. You're supposed to take it twice a day, up to one hour before the morning and evening meals. To reduce the nausea (if you ecperience it), some people say take it close to eating (15 minutes before) and don't stuff yourself. After 30 days on a 5 mg pen, you switch to a 10 mg pen. I guess that's part of the body getting used to it. As to weight loss, most users lose weight, some lots (50 lbs. and more). There's lots more I could tell you, but your doctor should tell you all this anyway. Good luck.

Lisa N
Sun, Jan-07-07, 14:53
i would check out the diabetes news groups but i believe that is the one you cant post on? i dont like to read something i cant post to.

You cannot post to the UseNet newsgroups from this forum (they are not actually part of this forum; what you see are links to different newsgroups) unless you are a contributing member. However, you can join the newsgroup under UseNet and post that way. Keep in mind, however, that UseNet groups are not moderated and discussions can and do often get quite personal and heated.

ilovepink
Sun, Jan-07-07, 15:37
dan i am aware of everything you said, but you were wrong about not having to buy syringes. yes it comes in a pen, but you have to put a syringe on the end and use a new one each time you poke yourself. they dont recommend using the same one for 30 days as risk of infection and risk of contaminating the medicine can happen.

danbrown
Mon, Jan-08-07, 09:48
dan i am aware of everything you said, but you were wrong about not having to buy syringes. yes it comes in a pen, but you have to put a syringe on the end and use a new one each time you poke yourself. they dont recommend using the same one for 30 days as risk of infection and risk of contaminating the medicine can happen.

Thanks, Love,
As I said, I am not a user, so I am glad to be corrected, especially for the benefit of all those who read this thread.

I think your original post was a while back. Have you since been to the doctor and have you started Byetta? If so, how is it going? Have you experienced any nausea? Has it helped regulate and lower your BG's? Have you experienced any weight loss yet?

As I recall, I don't think you mentioned what other meds you are on. Byetta is usually prescribed (according the the current FDA approved indications) for those on oral meds (metformin and/or a sulfonylurea like glyburide) who are not achieving adequate BG control, whatever this is for each person. I also think doctors prescribe it for Type II's who are in addition injecting insulin. As I understand it, it frequently results (besides achieving BG control) in being able to reduce or eliminate some or all of the other meds.
I would be interested to know, as things progress, if you realize any or all of these benefits.

Finally, there is probably another forum where these matters are discussed more reliably than I can. My investment message board sometimes posts entries from diabetes.blog, where there is a special thread for Byetta users.
Again, good luck and good health!

ilovepink
Mon, Jan-08-07, 17:33
dan, i have not started yet. im supposed to start the end of this week. yes you are supposed to take another form of medication, some drs feel ok just prescribing byetta by itself, but thats up to the individual dr. mine wants me to take metformin. but because i take armour thyroid the metformin doesnt work as well.

i was hoping to start my own thread with other users, but apparently there arent any here? i will keep you updated.

diabetes monitor and diabetes blog i think are the same thing. that is where i go also to get information. theres so many blogs there tho its hard to read all the info.

ilovepink
Tue, Jan-09-07, 19:59
well i got my byetta today. sooner than i expected. im not sure its working. i dont feel any appetite suppressant. i feel a little twinge of nausea or something going on in my tummy. burping does make it feel better.

Mimya
Tue, Jan-09-07, 20:19
i would check out the diabetes news groups but i believe that is the one you cant post on? i dont like to read something i cant post to.

Have you checked out Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Forum?
You have to register but it is FREE. Lot's of Byetta users there that can better answer your questions.

http://www.diabetes-book.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Good Luck to you,

ilovepink
Tue, Jan-09-07, 21:36
i searched the site and there were only two comments about byetta. nothing relevant

Klyla
Wed, Jan-10-07, 00:07
I am Type 2 diabetic and used Byetta from June 2006 until December 2006. I lost about 30 lbs. and had a lot of trouble with nausea and other symptoms. Technically, although the tips you use are needles, they are not syringes. You just screw the needle tip on the pen each time you inject yourself.

I definitely attribute my weightloss and appetite suppressant that helped me eat less to Byetta. It's hard to overeat when nothing appeals to you. It's also hard to eat with a high level of nausea.

What specific questions do you have?

ilovepink
Wed, Jan-10-07, 00:33
well i just wanted other peoples experiences and just a place people could gather that have used it. im wondering if i got a dud. i have no suppressed appetite. in fact i seem to be hungrier. i did have a touch of a headache that went away in an hour. not sure tho it could be from the mannitol in it?

danbrown
Thu, Jan-11-07, 21:00
i searched the site and there were only two comments about byetta. nothing relevant

Love
On the Bernstein site, go the the "Helping Others" forum. The third topic is "Byetta," it has 42 replies with lots of useful information and tips.
Dan

stormypup
Wed, Mar-21-07, 04:30
ilovepink- check out this website lizardspit.blogstream.com. Go to the latest byetta forum, there are several years worth of blog. This was very helpful to my start on Byetta. There are a lot of people out there successfully using it. Yes you do need to buy the needles for the pen. Check again with your insurance, they are not syringes but just needles. Your doctor needs to write an rx for it. I use the mini pin as there are different sizes. There is also info sites which appear to give information on helping to pay for this. Another site is http://www.topix.net/forum/health/diabetes. There are lots out there, just google byetta forums or chat rooms. So far I have had good luck, no nausea, eating very small meals and have lost 10 lobs. Best of all BS is almost normal. Good luck to you!