PDA

View Full Version : Newcomer

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kathyann
Thu, Dec-28-06, 11:43
Hi, I'm KathyAnn, I have just started back on the low-carb lifestyle. I have let my weight steadily climb and I know that I need to put a stop to it. My husband and I have tried several different diets, but the low-carb diet seems to be the best for us. This time, I'm going to try to also include some low fat aspects of the diet, as well. I've been reading the book, You:On a Diet by Dr. Mahmet Oz, he's a cardiologist and has been on Oprah alot. It seems to be basically a low carb diet that also watches the fat content. He incorporates vegetables and fruit more than Atkins. Has anyone out there tried it?

ProfGumby
Thu, Dec-28-06, 13:44
Welcome Katy Ann!

I have seen Dr. Mahmet Oz, and generally think his info sound. Except, natural sources of fat are needed in your body. Every cell in your body needs fat to function.

That being said, veggies and fruit are fine, but the simple truth is too many people eat too much fruit. And if one is a diabetic, or staring down the barrel of pre diabetic, one needs be careful of fruit. Specifically which fruits one eats. And for the record, I eat fruit on Atkins.

Also, I feel Dr. Mahmet Oz's diet plan is based partially on faulty or outdated medical info. Saturated fats are not bad, animal fats are not bad. These fats in the presence of too many carbs or junk food, that is bad.

Normally I do not offer such contradictory advice to newcomers,or returning LCers, but you asked...and I am commited to low carbing as a total health way of life not a fad diet as the media and some in the medical fields would have the population believe.

I hope I did not offend or come across too strongly...

Welcome and I do wish you success!
:wave:

kathyann
Fri, Dec-29-06, 09:31
ProfGumby:

Thanks for your input, I am not at all offended. I have been on and off the Atkins diet a few times. Whenever I have been consistent with the LC program, I have lost weight and felt better. I will take your thoughts in consideration. ;)