PDA

View Full Version : Press Release: Low Carb Dinner Series

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Karen
Sun, Jan-27-02, 00:47
The Fish House in Stanley Park Presents...The Lap of Luxury!
Low-Carb Eating for Health and Well Being

The Fish House in Stanley Park’s Executive chef Karen Barnaby is an accomplished low-carber—accomplished teacher and chef too!—who enjoys sharing her passion for good food.

Our low-carb Dinner Series will introduce you first-hand to the delicious way of eating that is part of a low-carb way of life. Each four-course dinner is paired with wine selected by Wine Director Barbara Philip. ……and you will get the recipes !

Wednesday February 20, 2002 features Low-Carb Italian Style!

Straciatella
egg drop and Parmesan soup
~
Arugula Salad, Eggplant and Buttery Tuna Mousse
balsamic walnut dressing
~
Prosciutto Wrapped Cod
caper, tomato & basil vinaigrette, cauliflower and
goat’s cheese puree
~
Ricotta Semi-freddo
rhubarb & fennel compote
~
Freshly Brewed Organic Coffee and Assorted Teas.

The cost is $60.00 per person which includes wines paired with each course. Tax and gratuity are not included in this price.

FOR RESERVATIONS & ANY FURTHER DETAILS CALL 604-681-7275
SEATING IS LIMITED

If you can’t make this event watch for future Low-Carb dinner events in March & April...

The Fish House in Stanley Park
8901 Stanley Park Dive
Vancouver, BC
V6G 3E2

tamarian
Sun, Jan-27-02, 17:57
That's great news Karen! :thup:

What's the reason behind it? Do you get many diners asking for low-carb menus?

Is it a test-trial for the restaurant to see if makes sense to make it a regular feature?

Has it been publicized?

What's the expected attendance?

And finally, who'll join me there from our forum :)

Wa'il

Ruth
Sun, Jan-27-02, 22:01
I believe that by then, my 5th week of BFL, I may just want to treat myself! :yum:

Karen, will you be in the kitchen, or sitting with us?

Karen
Sun, Jan-27-02, 23:43
What's the reason behind it? Do you get many diners asking for low-carb menus?

We get many low-carbers, but the reason is to get some excitement going about the restaurant and to promote low-carbing. It's such an exciting way of eating that I want people to know that is is not restrictive

Is it a test-trial for the restaurant to see if makes sense to make it a regular feature?

We plan to make it a regular feature in the slower months. There is another menu already planned for March and April. Low-Carb French, and Low-Carb Spice that is full of Indian Flavours.

Has it been publicized?

Yep! The press release above has been sent to all the food media in Vancouver and we already have a table of eight food journalists. We also sent emails out to our entire email list and received a few bookings.

What's the expected attendance?

We have room for 50 people.

And finally, who'll join me there from our forum

Well, I would expect all the Vancouver low-carbers to be there of course! ;)

Karen

Karen
Sun, Jan-27-02, 23:45
Karen, will you be in the kitchen, or sitting with us?
I won't be sitting with you, but I'll be popping in and out of out in the dining room, answering questions, etc.

Karen

tamarian
Mon, Jan-28-02, 00:29
Originally posted by Karen

and we already have a table of eight food journalists.

No kidding! I didn't know we had that many in town! ;)

Wa'il

Karen
Mon, Jan-28-02, 00:43
You'd be surprised! ;)

Karen

Ruth
Tue, Jan-29-02, 20:39
Made my reservation tonight, I'm looking forward to this scrumptious feast!

IslandGirl
Wed, Jan-30-02, 03:20
I'm already antsy with anticipation and frustration! Oh to be there at this groundbreaking endeavour (and KUDOS, Karen, you driver, you!).

Any chance the March and April dates are known? I'm willing to book off time but need a ton of advance notice in these uncertain times...

Ruth
Wed, Jan-30-02, 19:23
Originally posted by IslandGirl
I'm already antsy with anticipation and frustration! Oh to be there at this groundbreaking endeavour (and KUDOS, Karen, you driver, you!).

Any chance the March and April dates are known? I'm willing to book off time but need a ton of advance notice in these uncertain times...

I hope you can make it to one of the later ones. I'm chuckling here, :p of course you'll remember to book your bed with the bestest and most entertainingest LC hostess in town? (pardon the deplorable language abuse)

tamarian
Wed, Jan-30-02, 20:17
What time is it?

Wa'il

Karen
Fri, Feb-01-02, 13:28
Starts at 7:00 p.m.

And Judi, whether there are more LC dinners depends on the success of this one!

Karen

IslandGirl
Fri, Feb-01-02, 13:42
In THAT case, a good time to let y'all know that I've booked a seat (cross your fingers I get the time off).

I HAVE asked to be seated with Ruthie (and near the food writers' table if that can be managed :D but who knows... doesn't eavesdropping sound like FUN?! ... or would that be tabledropping?)

YeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Sarlye
Thu, Feb-07-02, 01:28
Unfortunately, I have class on Wednesday and I am barely hanging on. I am interested in Low Carb French. Any chance it can be on for April? My class finished at end of March.

Life has been very stressful lately, sorry I haven't been around much.

Talk to you all later.

r.mines
Sat, Feb-16-02, 23:50
Hi, Karen, Wa'il, Judi, Sarlye, Ruth, and all local and not-so-local low carbers!

I've already given my regrets to Karen and Wa'il - I'm working that evening - waaah! Maybe a later one.

Hi, Sarlye - I'm busy too - haven't been around much either. Working 7 days a week, and I'm whacked!

Rachel

tamarian
Tue, Feb-19-02, 11:06
See you guys tomorrow!

Wa'il

Karen
Tue, Feb-19-02, 11:17
Coolsville! I think there are about 40 people coming to the dinner. One giant leap for low-carb!

Karen

IslandGirl
Wed, Feb-20-02, 09:25
See you TONIGHT! :D

I am SO looking forward to this... Ruthie, we're booked at the same table, remember. I'll be on the bus this afternoon and wandering around on the loose til dinnertime.

Hope you still meant that about hostessing? :devil:

tamarian
Thu, Feb-21-02, 02:01
First impression: It was mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ooooooh ah, woooooo, ahaha, yeeeeaaaah, ummmymmmymmmm, aaaaaah, umumummmm, yum! :yum:

It was true to it's theme name "The Lap of Luxury".

There was about 40 or so, well dressed crowd in a seperate wing. One table for the reporters, another table for Karen's publishers, a third table that was pre-arranged by names (Karen's buddies) and 3 more tables for other guests, each table seats 10, or 12. Formal set of glasses and utencils, waiters bustling around filling glasses and loud laughter that eased up the atmosphere, made it very cozy. Karen showing up every once in a while, she distributed a printed copy of all the recipes, chatting with the guests.

The highligh was the Prosciutto Wrapped Cod served on a bed of very creamy cauliflower and goat cheese. You can tell everyone was taking a taste and looking at others around them, to see if they had the same reaction :) I found that funny. The entrees were delicious too, the egg drop and parmesan soup and the eggplant sandwiching the tuna mousse.

All in all, a great success. The manager made a short speach welcoming everyone to the first of a low-carb series, and thanked Karen, lots of enthusiastic applause from everyone, including the reporters, then a very short speach by Karen, pointing out this is real low-carb food, with no deprivation.

It was wonderful, way beyond my expectations, and I was expecting a lot! :thup: I told Karen when she came to our table that I felt manipulated! (with the range of tastes and splendid combinations)

Wa'il

IslandGirl
Fri, Feb-22-02, 13:19
Every HE said, and more....

Wa'il, you forgot to mention the fabulous dessert (perfectly balanced sweetness, semifrozen and creamy Semi-Freddo with Rhubarb compote), and the matched and matching wines with each of the 5 courses. Delizziozo!

The meal was worth every bit of the arduous trip to get there! The atmosphere, surroundings and company were great!

I will do my darndest to get to the next one because I can't wait to see what Karen and her professional crew do with a French theme, after such a successful Italianate theme...

I look forward to the earliest possible notice of the next occasion and many more!

colinjn
Tue, Mar-05-02, 11:27
I'm so sorry I found out about this dinner too late!
I've been looking for something to attend regularly. Please keep these dinners going Karen. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to these discussion boards and not even sure that this reply is going to the right place. But I will keep an eye out for the next dinner.

IslandGirl
Mon, Mar-11-02, 21:24
IS a date set for the next (French themed) LowCarb Dinner?

Enquiring minds want to (and must) know!

Karen
Tue, Mar-12-02, 00:23
April, but not sure what date. I'll bring it up with the GM this week.

Karen

janis
Mon, Mar-18-02, 18:00
Hi Karen--

I won't be there that night, but I'll be there on the 26th for an awards dinner. So don't serve lasagna that night, please?

Janis